Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek SC Front Brake Reassembly
Quote | Reply
And here we go again. Traveling with the speed concept and reassembly of the front end has lead to HOURS of frustration. Now that I’ve taken the base bar off and released the front brake cable, it won’t go back to the original length.

Is there some f*cking magic voodoo bullshit that you do to get this thing back? I’ll never buy another trek again. I’ve had nothing but problems with this bike.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Front Brake Reassembly [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post pics or dm me...

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Front Brake Reassembly [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front brake cable never ever slides into its original working condition. I’m about to remove all the plastic coating... it always gets cut/mangled and inevitably never slides back in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that stop may be the issue. I turn the housing out of basebar and have the stop on the wedge that fits in the stem.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have now fixed the front brake. However, now the rear brake is messed up. I think the angle of the cable is screwed up and not letting it bounce back. It seems like the cable gets caught. If I hold the brake cable at a “better” angle, it snaps back automatically. Considering I’m getting on a plane Thursday morning, there isn’t enough time to recable... I’m guessing I’ll be racing with only a front brake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calm down man and take a deep breath. It’s really not that complicated or difficult.

Curious to know why you are backing the front cable so far out where it’s not even fed through the fork? What case are you using that you need that much slack? From the picture it looks like the cable was getting stuck on the housing end (metal piece).

Recabling the rear brake is less than 10 min job (not including housing). But that doesn’t sound like you need to do that. With the rear wedge and cable in its normal position, loosen the rear brake wedge so the cable twists to its natural position. Then retighten the wedge so the cable pulls straight. Watch for the pivot points on the rear brake as you engage the brake. I’ve often found the one side isn’t rotating well and causes the issue you are seeing. Take off the rear brake, clean up the pivot points and lube them. That usually does the trick.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Front Brake Reassembly [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The premier bike case. I originally bought it because I wanted to avoid this basebar issue (which I dealt with previously). Unfortunately, the bars (measure at 45cm) are too wide to sit in the case without pushing hard on both sides of the case. The case is for bars 42cm or less. I can zip it up, but there’s a *quite* a bit of pressure on the base bar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same case. You don’t need to do what you are doing. It’s a tight fit but it’s manageable. I don’t even disengage my front brake wedge from the brake. I just take off the mono bar/extensions.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ve never had a problem with the basebar breaking? That’s what freaked me out the most when I zipped it up the first time. If it’s tight, but safe, I’m happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had a problem after several trips with the case and I've never been concerned about it. I do put two pieces of extra padding (styrofoam) on the bar ends just for piece of mind. There's already padding inside the case so not sure if this really helps or not.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well damn. Someone else in the Premier Bike thread chimes in and showed me how to properly measure the base bar (I.e. center to center). I wish I would have just waited until the morning to get feedback before I disassembled the entire front end. I got it back together and it should work for Gulf Coast this weekend, but I’m getting new housing out in when I get back.

Seriously, thank you for the help.

Last edited by: cloy: May 12, 21 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to help. Any of these “super bikes” with integrated front ends require a little finesse to get just right. If you spend enough time working on the bike and after a bunch of banging your head against the wall (trust me I’ve been there), you eventually figure out how to get it worked out.

blog
Quote Reply