Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek SC Basebar Bolts
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know the actual size of the two bolts that affix the basebar to the stem/pedestal on the new Speed Concept? I was trying to remove the basebar on my brand new Speed Concept last night to practice packing it for travel and one of the bolts stripped because they were put in so tight. I was able to get one out by pulling out my big ratchet with a socket on it, but that tool was not strong enough to break the other free it just ended up stripping the head instead. So, now I need to get this fastener that is stripped out, and I need to source two new bolts. So much for 6-8 nm of torque...

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Basebar Bolts [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Size
Count
Stem riser bolt, front
Countersunk
6x32
Stem riser bolt, side
Countersunk
6x20
Stem cover
Countersunk
4x8
Rear brake carrier
Button
6x12 (head diameter 10.4)
Front brake cover
Button
4x10
Rear brake cover, front
Button
4x20
Rear brake cover, rear
Button
4x10
Aerobar pads
Button
4x10
Seatpost clamp
Cap
5x17.5
Steerer clamp
Taper
5x16
Stem to fork
Cap
6x25
Battery mount
Button
5x13
Aeropad wing mount
Countersunk
5x21 (could use 5x16 if not using spacer)
Aerobar extension clamp
Cap
5x17.5
Mono-extension mount
Button/spherical
5x25
Steering lock bolt
Countersunk
6x20
Rear Saddle clamp
Taper
5x30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Does anybody know the actual size of the two bolts that affix the basebar to the stem/pedestal on the new Speed Concept? I was trying to remove the basebar on my brand new Speed Concept last night to practice packing it for travel and one of the bolts stripped because they were put in so tight. I was able to get one out by pulling out my big ratchet with a socket on it, but that tool was not strong enough to break the other free it just ended up stripping the head instead. So, now I need to get this fastener that is stripped out, and I need to source two new bolts. So much for 6-8 nm of torque...

If I were you I would just get a whole second hardware kit. I believe mine was about $50 from the Trek store and it is a good thing to travel with.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Basebar Bolts [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ryans wrote:

If I were you I would just get a whole second hardware kit. I believe mine was about $50 from the Trek store and it is a good thing to travel with.

I second this... TSA busted open my bike case and lost 4 bolts from my ziplock on my way to Kona. I figured it out but I'm ordering a backup set for future use.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Basebar Bolts [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn! Thanks for the list. If I cannot source the hardware kit itself I can easily build my own from the web or the local hardware store with this list.

Thanks!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Basebar Bolts [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is sounds like a smart idea in general for me. I am a heavy sweater, so having the cockpit bolts alone is smart to replace every couple years. I can make stainless steel bolts corrode/rust away with my perspiration. Better to be prepared!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toronto Cycle and Pro Bolt are your friends for fasteners in alternate materials (e.g titanium; not recommended by Trek). Apologies for the appearance of the list. it was a nice table when I posted it.
Quote Reply