Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Timtek wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Slightly?? This product was absurdly (and mistakenly) over-hyped by Trek.

Agreed. Marketing Dept. is a completely separate monster than industrial design/manufacturing so they ran with it.

Agreed+2. It's so over hyped I think Trek is so damn stupid. Trek, if you see this please grow up.
It was so childish and stupid.

Easy there tiger. “Childish and stupid”? You’re the one that sounds like a kid that didn’t get what they wanted for Christmas. Yeah, the build up was ridiculous and we all expected/wanted it to be something bigger, but no need to get so angry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

The worst part . . . does this mean we have to wait another 30 years to see something THIS revolutionary in cycling?

It's the benefits of MIPS, with roughly the same performance as MIPS. But without (Trek hopes) having to pay the MIPS royalty to Giro / MIPS. Anyone want to wager what time MIPS' lawyers went to work this morning?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Mar 19, 19 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

The worst part . . . does this mean we have to wait another 30 years to see something THIS revolutionary in cycling?

Yes it does. I really hope it’s a comfy saddle. See you in 30 years! Lol

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah good point. Fortunately, we can all expect something this revolutionary within the next week or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a hidden benefit of the new material is that is could/should ventilate a lot better than closed-cell styrofoam. Is it replacing the old material completely? Or will we still have our foam hats to cook our skulls in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

It's the benefits of MIPS, with roughly the same performance as MIPS. But without (Trek hopes) having to pay the MIPS royalty to Giro / MIPS. Anyone want to wager what time MIPS' lawyers went to work this morning?

As a person who has had a number of serious concussions (one of which required being airlifted to a trauma center, plus about 6 or so other concerning ones), I should be super interested in helmet tech. I need a new helmet, so I'm absolutely going to be stepping up to either this or MIPS... are they truly about as equally as effective?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Yeah good point. Fortunately, we can all expect something this revolutionary within the next week or two.

Any context or further info?

Bike or other?
This brand or other?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry That was sarcasm
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I'm looking at the site correctly, this is compared to a non-MIPS helmet. Well...c'mon now.

NVM, I see the difference in the 8 page study report. Interesting...how long until this gets shared around or creates more advances?

Also, Trek Aero helmet?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 19, 19 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sorry That was sarcasm

Sorry I'm slow 😁

Trek need to launch a new SC god damn soon.
Realistically we are prob a 4 months out of 2020 launches.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the top 3 rated Bontrager helmets, two are the new material and one is MIPS. MIPS is rated between the other two . . . so they appear to be pretty interchangeable, as far as performance is concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Elsevier study is valid then "roughly the same performance as MIPS" is not accurate.

So if you believe the study, $300 is cheap insurance against serious trauma.
If you don't believe the study, Wavecell is a gimmick.

I think people who know people that have had serious brain injuries cycling will be inclined to believe the former.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Tim O’Donnell has worn the Bontrager Ballista to some very respectable bike splits in Kona so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against that. The good news is the Trek-Segafredo world tour team will have a lot of feedback and testing of the design. If this is their pro team helmet this will not be a dog.

Considering that the Ballista MIPS came out very well in independent safety testing and aero testing, right now I'm thinking to buy one for road riding/racing on close out.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Also, Trek Aero helmet?

They actually have one that has mostly flown under the radar. Not sure if they ever got it certified for the U.S.

https://www.trekbikes.com/...bike-helmet/p/12566/

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question on that is more about a Wave Cell TT/Aero Helmet.

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I hear ya.

They'd have quite the feat beating Aerohead, P-09, Scott Split and Oakley Aro7. And why even bother if they can't win an aero shootout with those since word on aero performance gets around pretty fast these days. Just my 2¢.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The helmet as it stands looks decent, if you can build it similarly with the wavecell tech that would amazing.

In regards to this development, if I take the study seriously and not believing it to be quack science. And it looks pretty good to be honest. This will either kickstart more innovation or they will be licensing the tech out faster. Wonder which one comes first.

Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

As a person who has had a number of serious concussions (one of which required being airlifted to a trauma center, plus about 6 or so other concerning ones), I should be super interested in helmet tech. I need a new helmet, so I'm absolutely going to be stepping up to either this or MIPS... are they truly about as equally as effective?

Just wanted to inform you that MIPS only gave you a small increase from EPS. Wavecel drops your chance of injury signifigantly from MIPS added to EPS. MIPS is a slip liner where Wavecel is a replacement for EPS - except for the cosmetic exterior.

Here is some great articles with testing for everyone! You can find plenty of answers to your questions there!

http://trek.scene7.com/...0_impact_testing.pdf

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/...-helmet-ratings.html

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for this thread too....

in the VT rankings why does the Ballista MIPs score better than the XXX wavecell? The idea of replacing the styrofoam cooler material with wavecell makes sense to me... just trying to understand. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm disappointed, so much hype, in a result it is just a helmet :(
I was waiting on some super modern frame material...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
If the Elsevier study is valid then "roughly the same performance as MIPS" is not accurate.

So if you believe the study, $300 is cheap insurance against serious trauma.
If you don't believe the study, Wavecell is a gimmick.

I think people who know people that have had serious brain injuries cycling will be inclined to believe the former.

If the study is true, I'd buy one for sure.

Some of the other weird things that people were suggesting/hoping for earlier in this thread...probably not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Yes it does. I really hope it’s a comfy saddle. See you in 30 years! Lol

Marvelous, in 30 years, I'll be 92.83% of 100. I know I'll still be here, because only the good die young. Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse. Looks like I'm 0 for 3... ;-))
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big caveat that 'assuming the claims are reasonably true,' but:

A meaningful decrease in brain damage from a fall is a lot more interesting to me than a zero point nothing over-a-40k gain that'll never impact my racing in any way. Probably because I'm slow anyway, but I'm happy to see (at least attempted) innovation in a safety area that might save someone's quality of life vs a performance metric that's functionally meaningless in most of real life.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
...So if you believe the study, $300 is cheap insurance against serious trauma...

Valid point, but maybe an oversimplification. For me, it's what does the extra money for MIPS get me over a regular helmet? What percentage of accidents exceed what a normal helmet protects against? Same for wavecell. And just as importantly, what percentage of accidents does this not protect against? That said, I'm still likely to buy this the next time I need a helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe give it a re-read :-)

"A lower score offers better protection."
Quote Reply

Prev Next