Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Graphene frame ?

This was my first guess. Carbon infused with graphene, which will make the frame stiffer, the ride softer, and it'll weigh less then 1,000 grams. The marketing photo background is the new carbon weave that will be used to indicate it's infused with graphene. The price for this frame will be very high!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

The collection in the site is great !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twist on my prior guess: 3D printed titanium frame that’s custom sized to each individual rider after a fit session (what does Trek call their fit? Precision Fit?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. the designing Lady concrete understands how things do work .. and how don't .. LOL

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Mar 4, 19 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a thing that could be revolutionary, maybe. Bikes that glow from all angles to improve their being visible to cars. Mesh like material could be both structural and allow light to pass through it? Making it so you don't have to attach extra stuff like lights and reflectors? Real life Tron bikes.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What else? Riderless bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
My bet would be a 3D printed frame from whichever new material there is. However, to call it "revolutionary" (assuming that's more than just a marketing gimmick), it should bring something more to the table - such as affordable mass produced 3D printing of frames (with limitless personalization options), as 3D printed prototypes & components have been around for several years already, but all with one big problem - the cost.

Thinking the same thing, but would be surprised if that was really the case. Don’t think 3D printing is quite there yet.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks a bit too stiff to be clothing fabric. I'm guessing looks like a new frame material.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like something to replace woven carbon, or carbon sheets.

You create a tube / aero form / frame shape, put resin on it (Resin Transfer Molding ?) and you create a frame

Seems to be on a roll. 3D printed ?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease..? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously its a teaser for the new speed concept disc

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the trek store yesterday and he said it wasn’t frame material and a disc SC wasn’t revolutionary.

The only information I have is what it isn’t. He said an updated SC was likely coming soon, but that wasn’t it.

My guess and he didn’t confirm or deny this as he really likes his job and gave me zero clues, is a different drivetrain.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The twitter video linked by Viper doesn't look like a drivetrain, more like a replacement of carbon sheets...
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your local TREK store likely doesn’t know what it is. TREK hasn’t even published anything on their internal sites.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
https://twitter.com/trekbikes/status/1103349554076925953?s=21

looks like a fabric sheet

I see room for lots of "filler" in between the "new material" weave.... lots of profit for the lower end models that will come out of production :-D !!!

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True enough, went right past the video in my skimming.

If the tweets about a new green frame material are correct, I’d be on board with that.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease..? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:

I mean of course

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease..? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3d printing is wayy too expensive at this moment for massive production, and im not even sure about speed on huge quantities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look closely at the structure, you can stretch it one way a huge amount, but nearly zero the other way (90 degree angle). That's extremely valuable for frame building. Maybe not so much for clothing. Probably not for drive trains. Maybe good for tires?

So let's say you can use this stuff to make a frame very squishy so you get an inch or two of suspension with no power loss - that would live up to their hype claims... for some people... maybe.

Looks like it could be some kind of TPU. That stuff is crazy flexible yet resilient. Same material Adidas Boost is made of. After Adidas figured out how well it worked in shoes, companies have been going crazy trying to figure out what else it's good for. Maybe as the weave instead of carbon?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Mar 7, 19 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek aren't the only people teasing (at the dealer level) a "revolutionary" new product introduction this month. Since product introductions at annual bike shows seem to be fizzling out . . . maybe this is just Trek trying to grab headlines for model year 2020 product introductions. Apparently, by the end of the month, they won't be alone. Fighting for eyeballs -- and forum posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could also be plastic infused carbon. A new material that was highlighted in his article:
https://www.forbes.com/...frames/#7efe61b410d6

Edit: I would like to add tat Graphine is an actual powder that is infused into the resin.
Last edited by: chadm: Mar 7, 19 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease..? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:

"A change like this happens once every 30 years".

Do you really think it is a SC?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a good idea of what they're about to launch. A few clues to you guys:

1. Pretty much every guess so far has been wrong (including the CyclingTips article)
2. With all this hype and guessing going on, most people will be disappointed when they realize what it actually is
3. The products will most likely be in stock when it's launched
Quote Reply
Re: Trek's latest tease....thoughts? [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this
I think all the really keen cyclists will be underwhelmed given all the guesses so far....

Given Trek is very engaged in growing cycling for all I think it will appeal to the commuter, casual enthusiast far more than hard core racer
I was told its a Bontgarer product(s)
Quote Reply

Prev Next