Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Streetsnake wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:
Sole F80 here. Been beating it for around a year or so now, running intervals in the high six minutes on occasion and it’s so far very sturdy for the price.
Do you know if it is capable of hooking up to zwift? Thx

it doesn’t have any sort of native bluetooth speed transmitter.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a nordictrack 1750 since 2011 and it's still working great.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Most gyms release their treadmills after a 3-year lease to big sporting equipment superstores. These superstores often also set up the treadmills in gyms and big offices spaces for the treadmill brands. A nice Precor is new about $8000, but after 3 years at a gym it is usually $1,600 to 2,300 with maybe 150 to 200 working hours.

But as others have said, if you are patient and scouting ads you might find one that was bought with enthusiasm and then set idle forever. But many of these personal ads on ebay and FB etc are often Superstores who sell through these portals.

150-200h seems a very low estimate. I would have thought closer to 1500-2000 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
150-200 each year of use
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which would you get...found a couple gently used TMs. NordicTrack 2750, sole TT8, or true cs550.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Streetsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly some are 500-750 a year but you can get them with fewer
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
For those that have gotten a Woodway, do you recommend the curved ones?

If you haven't run on one, do so before entertaining a purchase. They have one at my gym. It's nothing like running on a normal treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did months of research and landed on the Landice L8 used for $1500 5 years ago. About 25 miles a week on it regularly. Thing is solid.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a used treadmill. Based on what is available locally through CL/Marketplace, I have narrowed the options down to a Sole F85 or a Star Trac 7631 for about the same price.

Sole is a little newer with less use.

I do most of my runs outside, but looking for something dependable to replace a Y membership for convenience on a couple of runs a week indoors.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a reconditioned LifeFitness 95Ti model for $500. It's been a workhorse and so far we have gotten over 10 years of use out of it (with 2 runners in the house). I have a company come do maintenance/calibration once a year and expect to get at least several more years out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be on the lookout for quality used machines. People so often end up with them and eventually just wan't them gone. Same goes for hot tubs.

Between 2 different gyms I've been running on Woodway for about 12 years. I decided that I would like something more convenient at home for bad weather days when I didn't want to trek to the gym. I was lucky to find a nice used Precor 9.33i with only 180 hours for $50 on Craigslist. It came with the seller's house when they bought it and just wanted it our of their way. I couldn't stand running on it... Although a solid machine in great condition, it was loud, bouncy and didn't have a very natural feel compared to a Woodway. I started looking for a used Woodway but wasn't interested in paying $3k+ for a used one. I set up keyword alerts on all the free marketplaces and in May my ship came in. I scored a Woodway for $200 on Nextdoor!!! Similar to the Precor, someone purchased a house with it and just wanted to get rid of it not realizing they could probably fetch 10 times more for it. In all fairness it is a 1997 vintage with analog electronics but it delivers the same quiet, smooth, sturdy and much more natural running feel as the newer ones at my gym. It is a tank, weighs nearly a ton (not quite) and will be the last treadmill I will every have to buy. I enjoy running on it so much coupled with the convenience and safety that I now complete more than half of my weekly mileage on it. Also, I just sold the Precor for $340 so I now consider my Woodway to be free with a $90 bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very happy with my Landice L7, although the MSRP is a bit steep. That said, Craigslist and the Facebook marketplace are full of deals if you're patient enough.

Mine cost $300, and I've seen them in good condition for under $200 since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you which one not to buy -- Pro Form. I have a Pro Form 2000 which I was happy with for the price and first year's performance -- after that, I am grateful I bought the extended warranty. I bought it when I was originally planning to get a NordicTrack one and realized in my call that they're essentially the same machines made by Icon Fitness.

Year one was a dream - I can run anytime I like! Woohoo! Suddenly, year two and the incline motor dies. After convincing customer service I did have the extended warranty (save and file your paperwork/emails -- all of them - the service departments for Icon seem to be terrible at tracking records and very keen to get you to buy additional coverage when you already have it) they first went through a month of trying to get me to repair my mill and replace the motor. That didn't work out so well and finally they authorized a service visit - these pros were great but it took them four hours of work to get the job done -- hardly something who doesn't service these things for a living should be expected to do on their own.

About four months or so ago, I was running and heard/felt a loud "snap." That was the baseboard literally snapping down the middle (no weight jokes - I am 200 lbs and should be well within the tolerances!). Another round of back and forth calls to get a new board shipped (easy) and a service call arranged (ridiculously hard). Eventually, the service guy came and spent five hours getting the new board replaced. The guy diagnosed the break as coming from: 1) my ungodly sweat rate and highly acidic sweat (it's gross and destroys bike cables, corrodes metal, etc) and 2) the fact I was "running on that thing more than it was meant to take." I take some issue with the second reason - as I said, I am 200lbs, heavy for the tri world and admittedly, a bigger guy, but certainly well within the tolerances of the machine - or at least I should be. I also run maybe 40-50 miles a week on a really, really heavy run week, but most of the time it's closer to 30 per week. That shouldn't be an issue. The guy -- again someone who repairs and knows these things -- said to run this thing to the ground and take advantage of my warranty - then call him the day the warranty expires and he'd hook me up with a used "real" treadmill from True or LifeFitness.

Oh last complaint - iFit is the tool of the devil. There's nothing like getting ready for a run and finding your screen blue and non-responsive because of a software glitch/bug and spending literally hours in the evening Googling "How to fix ProForm software bugs/blue screen of death" and reloading the OS on your treadmill. Seriously. I have no desire to virtually run "thousands of trails around the world" off a 9 inch screen. Perhaps it's an appeal to some, but the fragility of the software and the ability of a bug to turn your treadmill into a 2000 dollar paperweight/clothes hanger makes me want to look elsewhere. Given my monkey sweat, I suspect this will be well before my warranty runs out anyway....
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going through a issue with my NordicTrack Commercial 1750 similar to what you're experiencing. I've had the iFit blue-screen of death a few times and been able to get around that -- but this weekend had a loud "SNAP" and on investigation found the frame has a fatigue crack in it where the springs are fastened to the steel tube, both spots on one side.

The welds have given way which is kinda surprising. Waiting to find out how Icon responds - the rep I talked to on the phone said it was a sure-fire frame warranty full on replacement but it had to go to a "review board" for approval. We'll see how it goes, but my guess is they will find a way to weasel out of it.

Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [swimflyshuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had the third baseboard and second belt installed on my Proform 2000 after 1550 miles. Not sure what this says about wear. At least icon fitness was very responsive this time. Still the baseboards seem to be nothing more than a piece of laminated particleboard. Not exactly pro level stuff. Certainly not a woodway or a landice. I guess you get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your terrible treadmill experience. Sucks!

The maintenance guy you had definitely was a clueless rookie. It seriously sounds like he was doing it for the first time if it took him 4-5 hrs to fix your treadmill - I have a Sole F80 (which I believe is also under the Icon brand?) that is 8+ yrs old, and I can replace the motor, both rollers, deck, and console - pretty much everything except the frame, in 4 hrs on my first try, and with no real instruction manual (just youtube videos of similar repairs on other TMs.) And I had literally zero mechanical/technical skills - I had to buy a bunch of wrenches and tools to even do the repairs.

That's the rub with these <$2000 TMs. The parts do wear out, and definitely faster than the pricey TMs. The upside if you're into it, is that you can replace most of the parts pretty easily with basic tools, and still come out $1000+ ahead, if not $2000+ ahead of someone who just drops the full $4k+ retail on a Landice or similar new TM, but you will have to replace some of the pieces after a bunch of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sole is not an ICON brand, Sole is the only entry level treadmill I would buy period. ICON (and its family of brands) is the worst company hands down. I have repaired fitness equipment for the better part of my life. The reason these decks crack and break is because they have shit cushioning systems to try and make the running surface seem nice and soft and spring like. If you cannot budget for a "good" treadmill, buy a Sole.

To note, a good tech. should be able to change a belt and deck in 1 to 1.5 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My techs managed to replace the deck and belt in about 2 hours. All the repairs have been free. Just a pain. Considering I paid sub $2k I guess I’m still ahead. Especially since I figure I’m so hard on gear I would probably destroy a landice or other high end mill all the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
Be on the lookout for quality used machines. People so often end up with them and eventually just wan't them gone.

I just bought a 6 month old, barely used True M50 for $700. Not exactly a steal (new list price $2299), but presumably better than anything I could have bought new for that price.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a 3 yr old StarTrac 8TR for 1750. Refurbished, and only 9200 miles on it. I’m convinced that is the best way to go if you are going to put any serious miles on it.

No real bells and whistles (but none to break either). And it’s a great ride. Rated to 500# user, so I think I’m safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a woodway from CL, about a 5 hour roundtrip drive. old school. works well. heavy AF. Since I did not go the herbert route - and get something factory restored and installed/setup, me and a buddy loaded it into my suv, and unloaded and re-assembled after sliding it on my floor. so far, worth the $300, and probably $60 in gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still on the look out for a used one, and saw a couple of Precor 9.35 that are both over 10 years old. Same with a Landice 7. What's all your experience with these brands in terms of long term ownership. They are all asking between $300-400. From what I saw, they are all in good condition, clean and still runs well. I didn't have a preference for either brand in terms of running feel. So should I just pick one, am I overthinking this? It's getting a little cold outside so I need to get this done soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I am still on the look out for a used one, and saw a couple of Precor 9.35 that are both over 10 years old. Same with a Landice 7. What's all your experience with these brands in terms of long term ownership. They are all asking between $300-400. From what I saw, they are all in good condition, clean and still runs well. I didn't have a preference for either brand in terms of running feel. So should I just pick one, am I overthinking this? It's getting a little cold outside so I need to get this done soon.

Old doesn't necessarily mean heavily used. With a combination of key presses on the console, you can get the machine to display hours and miles used. You can extrapolate that over the machine's age to get an idea of how it had been used. My Precor 9.35i had 434 miles over 138 hours which is 3.14 MPH... essentially somebody walked on it less than a mile a week for 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Landice

I have one that is 13 years old, used daily in the winter and works great. The touch screen went on it last winter and Landice replaced it under warranty (!).

Did they have a lifetime warranty on the touch screen when you bought it? They currently have a 5-year touch screen warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
For those that have gotten a Woodway, do you recommend the curved ones?

If you haven't run on one, do so before entertaining a purchase. They have one at my gym. It's nothing like running on a normal treadmill.

I know the curved unpowered ones are cheaper but I think when people here refer to Woodway they are usually talking about the conventional ones. I tried a curved one once and it was super weird, I dont think I could ever get used to it. Like others I was patient and finally found a deal on a used 4 Front.
Quote Reply

Prev Next