Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank.
Quote | Reply
Hey ST, looking for some treadmill recommendations for the quarantine period. I am looking for something to last a few years. I have seen a few that can fold straight up which would be really convenient. I live in the EU.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Hey ST, looking for some treadmill recommendations for the quarantine period. I am looking for something to last a few years. I have seen a few that can fold straight up which would be really convenient. I live in the EU.

The fold up ones tend to be home treadmills, flimsy, small motor (e.g max 15km/hr) and would feel like they are going to fall apart if you run hard on them. There are some higher end home treadmills,but they are more expensive than 2nd hand commercial ones which would be your best option. Plenty of barely used 2nd commercial treadmills out there. I got mine from a 5 star hotel and had been used 10 times in a year or something stupid. Steer away from ex gym treadmills unless they are low hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been pretty happy with my sole f80. you can occasionally find them on craigslist for cheap (thought might people might not be listing them right now). i bought mine new and i've put 1500 miles on it. i had a problem with the belt and deck and they promptly shipped me new ones for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking around in 2018 for something similar and after reading reviews and checking out deals I landed on the Reebok ZR10. I've been using it on average 3 times a week and it's been doing fine the 18 months we've had it. Only use it for tempo runs and regular runs up to 10k though, for longer runs I head outside. Maybe we just got lucky, but I picked it up during a sale for ÂŁ530 and have been happy with it so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [claude_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will check that one out.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:

I love my Bowflex BXT 216. Bluetooth compatible with Zwift, great feel, folds up, strong motor (I believe max speed is like 12 mph?). NOT flimsy like others will suggest about “home” treadmills. It’s awesome. Under $2,000 USD.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Norditrack any good?
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Are Norditrack any good?

No experience there. This bowflex is my only home treadmill purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an Xterra 3500 and Im happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an open-box NordicTrack 1750 in January off of Amazon for $1200 and so far so good. Build quality seems great and my only qualms are that you can't override iFit (you can skip iFit and run the treadmill manually but if you don't connect the treadmill to your wifi it will always show an error message) and I wish the speed/incline buttons were a little easier to push. Overall though I would buy again, especially at the $1200 price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Bowflex BXT116 is likely my next treadmill purchase. Love the idea of Zwift compatibility. Link: https://amzn.to/2Rze1GJ

The 226 has a bit better motor, which is likely worth the extra ~$300. I've heard really good things about the Sole Treadmills as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Nordictrack 1750 for a few years. Deck was very springy. I broke a couple of springs under the deck that I replaced, then finally snapped the deck in half a few months ago. I'm 195 lbs. I got a Spirit XT685 floor model and it is super solid. Lifetime deck warranty as well. non folding which was not a problem for my space. I remember the deck feeling quite hard compared to the Nordictrack when I started running on it. I think it's closer to road running. I don't notice any difference any longer. I did have to put some shims under the back feet to get it level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:

I have a NordicTrack C2450 that I'm really happy with. It goes over 19km/h (12mph), 15% incline, 3% decline, and it folds. It's part of the commercial series, but I'd say it's more a really sturdy home treadmill. I've had it for a year. My girlfriend and I have each trained for 2 marathons on it. I ran everything from internals to tempos to long runs (2:40) on it with no issue. I also did 12 hours of the Quarantine Backyard Ultra on it a couple weeks ago, and held up just fine. If you do go with NordicTrack I recommend shopping around. I'm in Canada, and it seems like some retailer almost always has it on sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting!, I'm curious how/where did you buy your treadmill? i'll drive my pickup down to the nearest Hilton right now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a Sole F80 and its been great so far. I did plenty of research before buying and Sole has a solid reputation for quality. It's really solid and folds up for storage. Got it on sale for $1,400 USD.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i bought a proform from costco about 6 years ago. Had it serviced once in that time (recently); still works fine. No decline running option, however. it was about $650, which included delivery and install.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [stuckinnj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me share my Proform story. :/

I bought a Proform Smart 2000 in January. It was delivered early Feb. The control board fried after two weeks. The sent me a new piece that they expected me to install. I am not a technician so I had them send one out. Turns out they sent the wrong piece. Not only was board fried but enjoyed also showed signs of wear equivalent of 2000 miles. There was 12 miles on the treadmill. So now I need new control board and new motor. They send both. Sent wrong control board. Apparently my treadmill model is so new, their parts catalog is not updated. So now i have to send a few pictures to Proform so they can identify the correct control board.

After 6-weeks the new board finally arrives. Now we have COVID lockdown so no technician will come out. So if I want a treadmill sometime in 2020, I have to do it myself. Mind you I'm now working from home full-time, wife is still working (essential), and we have no daycare so I've a demon toddler running around. After inventing new curse words, I finally get new board in. I did not even bother changing motor. Technician says you have to remove almost all internals to get it out. However, with new board it works. So I have a treadmill. However, my speed is way off and there is no way to calibrate it manually. Not sure what to do there. Example: at 6mph my pace it feels like I'm at a dead sprint. Prior to frying mother board, I was doing workouts up to 8mph. That speed would now shoot me out the window that's behind the treadmill.

Proform compensated me $140 for my lack of treadmill.

I will say iFit is awesome. I program in race routes and even Zwift running routes (from real cities). It's a PIA but worked well. It auto adjusts incline and decline. Downside is if you use a group run on zwift, you will be the only person with adjusting inclines so makes it hard to keep up.

TLDR: Avoid Proform.

Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

I have a NordicTrack C2450 that I'm really happy with. It goes over 19km/h (12mph), 15% incline, 3% decline, and it folds. It's part of the commercial series, but I'd say it's more a really sturdy home treadmill. I've had it for a year. My girlfriend and I have each trained for 2 marathons on it. I ran everything from internals to tempos to long runs (2:40) on it with no issue. I also did 12 hours of the Quarantine Backyard Ultra on it a couple weeks ago, and held up just fine. If you do go with NordicTrack I recommend shopping around. I'm in Canada, and it seems like some retailer almost always has it on sale.

Thanks. I am tossing up between a new c2450 for $2k or a second hand reconditioned Lifefitness 95T for $2.5k, thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a sole f80 around a month ago and am quite happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also have the 2450 and really like it. Tolerated long runs fine (I’m a lightweight though). But solid treadmill IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Also have the 2450 and really like it. Tolerated long runs fine (I’m a lightweight though). But solid treadmill IMO

Thanks, does it still work ok if you arent signed up to the ifit subscription?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The iFit subscription is crap really for running. You have it for free if you buy a new one. Just don’t renew it.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations-something that won't break the bank. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Yes. The iFit subscription is crap really for running. You have it for free if you buy a new one. Just don’t renew it.

We love iFit. My wife is in heart failure, and walks on it daily. She has never exercised other than dance team in high school, and I can't keep her off the treadmill. It has been a Godsend during the pandemic.

I have used the create feature to draw IM run courses for upcoming races, so I'm running the exact grades and have the Google Maps street view as well. It's a cool feature.

We have a Nordictrack 1750 and the treadmill has a lot of bounce. It will definitely save your knees and I haven't even tested the feature to soften the responsiveness of the deck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thumbs up for NordicTrack. I've had a C2500 for a very long time. I think like 12 years. Does that make sense? It would not say it's had heavy use, as I often use the treadmills at work, but definitely have used it many times on weekends or WFH days. Using it even more now of course. Not a single problem. Note: I always turn it off (hit the power switch under the front of the deck) after ever use. Maybe that makes no difference, but I never leave it on.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Find a Landice L7 used. There around $3500 new but you can find them used for under $1000 . They’re simple and indestructible. They’re heavy as f**k though so find one within driving distance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next