Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill masking weight gain?
Quote | Reply
I gained a few (8ish) pounds in the off season. I’m light to begin with so 8 is more significant to me than a 220lb person. So I’ve been training again, and I feel the run fitness coming back fast. I feel really good. Doing mile repeats on the treadmill and stuff. I do the same workouts year after year so I know how to gauge my fitness. Anyways, I’ve been surprised that after 6 weeks I haven’t lost any weight. I know weight makes a huge difference in running, and I’m running really fricken well right now. Is it possible that since I’m not ‘moving’ while running on the treadmill, that it’s masking the effect of carrying more weight that I’d experience on the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill masking weight gain? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do not have a good incline, you won't be simulating real world running. At 0 incline, I can run really fast. But at a more realistic 1.5, I get about the same HR at the same place as outside and can feel the workout.

As far as weight. I started 12+ hours a week training 2 weeks ago and have only lost 2 pounds. So that is disappointing. I'm also lightweight, btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill masking weight gain? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always run at 1%
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill masking weight gain? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
If you do not have a good incline, you won't be simulating real world running. At 0 incline, I can run really fast. But at a more realistic 1.5, I get about the same HR at the same place as outside and can feel the workout.

As far as weight. I started 12+ hours a week training 2 weeks ago and have only lost 2 pounds. So that is disappointing. I'm also lightweight, btw.

Isn't the oft-quoted study conclusion that 1% is most realistic? And I think some experts out there say that compensation is only for running 7min/mile or faster

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you were too skinny before? Now the rest and extra weight has allowed your body to adapt, be more fit and stronger?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 14, 19 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
I gained a few (8ish) pounds in the off season. I’m light to begin with so 8 is more significant to me than a 220lb person. So I’ve been training again, and I feel the run fitness coming back fast. I feel really good. Doing mile repeats on the treadmill and stuff. I do the same workouts year after year so I know how to gauge my fitness. Anyways, I’ve been surprised that after 6 weeks I haven’t lost any weight. I know weight makes a huge difference in running, and I’m running really fricken well right now. Is it possible that since I’m not ‘moving’ while running on the treadmill, that it’s masking the effect of carrying more weight that I’d experience on the road?

No.

But you can def gain tons of fitness and not lose any weight. It's all about calories in vs calories out/burned for weight loss. I can manage to gain weight despite gaining fitness if I go hog wild crazy on my appetite and don't hold back.

TM running translates well to road, but if you are doing ALL TM training for weeks+, you will need 1-2 weeks of on-road adaptation to acclimate to both the road hardness as well as the impact from downhills. The impact from steep downhills is the biggest shock to the system if you've been doing all TM training - I recently spent 3 months nearly all on TM, and was in solid TM shape for me, and was a big shocked/horrified (even though I knew it would happen from prior experience) when I did a measly 40 minute Z3 outdoor run with a really steep 1000' climb and then descent. Cardio was fine, and legs held up during the run no problem, but my quads were pretty busted the next day! It def wasn't the uphill effort - it was the DOWNhill that did it, as I'd done plenty of 5-10% TM climbs in training, but no 5-10% descents.

Luckily it's a fast adaptation - had zero problems on the run with zero postrun soreness on the same exact run the following week, even while going a lot harder on the up AND the down.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 14, 19 6:51
Quote Reply