Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill and knees hurting
Quote | Reply
Hi all

i have had my fair share of injuries in the past so I thought i would run on the treadmill once a week to see if that would help. So about 10 weeks ago i started once a week
I have never had problem with my knees over 15 years of running but all of a sudden after my run on Tuesday on the treadmill , not during underneath the knee cap it hurts to press on my inside left knee and is a bit a little swollen. But on my right its on the outside part of my knee that aches.

I also run yesterday but on the road this time but again got the same sore part only a few hours after

I find I am a lot slower pace/heart rate on the running machine and feel after an hour it hard work on my calves/legs just for a steady run. I put the incline +1 just to mention

Wasn't sure if it was just me getting injured again something to do with the running machine?

thanks

Paul
Last edited by: paul.eames: Dec 6, 19 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill and knees hurting [paul.eames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, sorry to hear about the pain.
I haven't experienced treadmill-induced injury. The only time I've had something like what you're experiencing is when I run (outside) on a canted sidewalk. Is it possible your treadmill isn't level? Alternatively, are you running outside on a canted surface? Also, is your treadmill calibrated? (I wouldn't assume so)

What is your run frequency? (one treadmill run out of 3 vs. 7?) Has it changed over the 10 weeks?

Did your bike fit change?

Why not just drop the treadmill run?

Assume you haven't changed run routes over the 15 yrs; same shoes as always; same paces; no major weight gain/loss.

-J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure but runsmartonline has some YouTube’s on running issues. Glute weakness a likely culprit. A PT produces content, who I think was a 4 hour marathon guy who got under 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's likely because of tight hips or butt muscles, causing your foot/feet to move further inward on every step. To fix it, first make sure you let the inflammation subside- don't keep pissing it off. Then, work on your hip muscles and butt muscles every day- there are many great exercises and Youtube videos demonstrating them. I like hip-ups and side steps with the mini-bands. Lastly, watch your gait, specifically your run cadence. Take short(er), small(er) steps, increasing your cadence. It feels silly at first, it will almost definitely help you. Also, try running further back on the treadmill- I find that a more natural running form can be achieved vs. running right up against the front. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmills need to be elevated 1-1.5% to mimic outside normal motor patterning. Not sure if your TM is elevated but it may help

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paul.eames wrote:
Hi all

i have had my fair share of injuries in the past so I thought i would run on the treadmill once a week to see if that would help. So about 10 weeks ago i started once a week
I have never had problem with my knees over 15 years of running but all of a sudden after my run on Tuesday on the treadmill , not during underneath the knee cap it hurts to press on my inside left knee and is a bit a little swollen. But on my right its on the outside part of my knee that aches.

I also run yesterday but on the road this time but again got the same sore part only a few hours after

I find I am a lot slower pace/heart rate on the running machine and feel after an hour it hard work on my calves/legs just for a steady run. I put the incline +1 just to mention

Wasn't sure if it was just me getting injured again something to do with the running machine?

thanks

I can't help with the medial aspect of your knee, but pain on the lateral aspect often occurs due to "IT band syndrome", which really means that your TFL is tight. It's the only component in that series that can be effectively stretched. Locate it via anatomy images, figure out how to palpate it with your fingers so that you'll know what it will feel like when it's stretched, then find some stretches that will work for you. People often have problems finding a stretch that they can feel in the TFL and this is often because the quads are taking up the tension. You can try to adjust your positions (bringing a foot up to your butt and pushing your pelvis forward and lateral can help), but chances are that your quads are tight as well; they just don't produce the negative outcomes that a tight TFL will. Continue with the stretches and when the quads loosen up over a period of time, the tension will be displaced onto the IT band complex and you'll feel it in the TFL and probably all the way down through the IT band and lateral aspect of the patella. Best of luck.
Paul

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, there
I am going through something similar. My knee pain seems to be patellar tendinitis and it hurts where my patellar tendon inserts onto the tibia, so below my knee cap.
It doesn’t hurt during running, only after especially if I bend my leg (like for a squad stretch).
I have had lots of running injuries before but never from treadmill-only. I also always had 1 degree inclination.
I suspect it is due to a sudden increase in volume (treadmill runs only at night/ very early morning) coupled with muscular weakness/ imbalances.
I’m taking time off from running and focusing on strength work (core, upper body, legs/ posterior chain).
I also now have a standing desk at work to reduce time sitting.
Good luck; I hope yours heals quickly.
Quote Reply