Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel case for Felt IA
Quote | Reply
Need to purchase a travel case for the first time to primarily ship my IA.

Do any owners have recommendations of ones to use or ones to avoid due to fitting, build etc.

https://www.youtube.com/...Q?view_as=subscriber
Quote Reply
Re: Travel case for Felt IA [MATT UK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Tri all3 2 case since getting my first Felt IA when they first came out in 2014. I use the case designed for 2 bikes but just put one bike in and extra race wheels and misc stuff. Traveled all around the world taking several trips a year with no issues....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MATT UK wrote:
Need to purchase a travel case for the first time to primarily ship my IA.

Do any owners have recommendations of ones to use or ones to avoid due to fitting, build etc.

funny you write this, because we're just about to embark on a multi-part editorial series on travel, with an emphasis on bike travel, that is, how your bike travels. how gets from here to there, whether you're pedaling it or whether it's sitting on a plane, on a fedex truck, in a bike case, etc.

we're going to have a thread here. a dedicated thread, just for travel, and a minister of travel who'll curate that thread and who will answer with some specificity the question you just asked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Ruster Armored Hen House. Yes, it requires more wrenching than other cases. But I feel it is extremely protective of the bike. While it does not technically fit as standard size luggage, I have gotten away with no bike fees or over size fees ever. I shipped it using BikeFlights once, and it worked well, other than the nightmare of getting it picked up in Wanaka, NZ. I have not done a cost comparison if shipping 2 smaller lighter cases, vs. 1 larger case.... though I seem to remember BikeFlights being pretty reasonable for it. For flying, you do get dinged with a fee for an extra normal piece of luggage.

The biggest annoyance I have, is that where the rear derailluer cable enters the top tube on the IA, the plastic corner is very sharp and it cuts the cable housing when you bend the bars over to pack it. I am going to try filing that down to reduce that.... tired of recabling it!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the evoc bag. It's been fine so far; takes some patience breaking down the bar and extensions (much easier if you're on di2) but no major complaints

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Travel case for Felt IA [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an EVOC bag too, and while I never suffered major damage with it (I did get the brake track of a wheel bent once) I was always worried about it. I did not feel the bike was protected enough. I would be even more worried about shipping a bike with it....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Scicon Aerocomfort 2.0 bag I have used with my IA10. Since it is a road bag i have to point the extensions down. Its bigger than some bags, but requires less disassembly. I just remove the wheels, turn the extensions down, and secure the bike onto the metal frame inside the bag. Since I don't ride too big of a bike the seat can stay on, I even have room to leave the pedals on. I use lots of foam pads to protect the bike, i would do this with any bike bag.

The main thing I don't like about the bag are the stock wheels. The casters either bent or the wheel got destroyed within 2-3 trips. I had 1 where the bearings came out of the caster. Its a real pain to lug aroudn a big bag when it won't roll.

Some people don't like the soft scicon bags, but I've had pretty good luck with the bag. I've taken my carbon road bike and tri bike on 20+ flights with no damage to my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Scicon Aerocomfort Triathlon bag and would buy it again. It has been around the world multiple times with multiple people without incident. All but the largest TT bikes fit by only removing wheels and pedals. I have a large IA and have to remove my extensions, but it is a 3 min removal and reassembly. My issues with a hard case are the amount of disassembly required and the awkwardness of a case that large.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel case for Felt IA [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I use the Scicon Aerocomfort Triathlon bag and would buy it again. It has been around the world multiple times with multiple people without incident. All but the largest TT bikes fit by only removing wheels and pedals. I have a large IA and have to remove my extensions, but it is a 3 min removal and reassembly. My issues with a hard case are the amount of disassembly required and the awkwardness of a case that large.

yep yep yep

flown 6-8 times with my IA frd in Scicon Aerocomfort , never an issue, except for the PIA wheels in V1...on V3 now
Quote Reply
Re: Travel case for Felt IA [Gary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked into the Triall 3 but it seems getting over to the UK might be a bit of hassle as there aren't any stockists here.

https://www.youtube.com/...Q?view_as=subscriber
Last edited by: MATT UK: Jun 12, 19 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Travel case for Felt IA [Gary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary wrote:
I use the Tri all3 2 case since getting my first Felt IA when they first came out in 2014. I use the case designed for 2 bikes but just put one bike in and extra race wheels and misc stuff. Traveled all around the world taking several trips a year with no issues....
^^^exactly what I do too
Quote Reply