Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Travel bike pump to fly with?
Quote | Reply
Since regular floor pumps are too big and too heavy as a carry on, I've been searching for a small pump to fly with. I thought that a hand pump was the only option, but after some digging I found one that is a compromise of both: a floor pump the size and weight of a hand pump.

I liked it enough to do a write up of the pump for my friends, who I'm flying to race at IM 70.3 Coeur D'Alene this weekend.

Pros of this Lezyne pump above are:

1. Weight 0.5 lbs
2. Foot peg for easier pumping.
3. Digital gauge.

Cons:
1. Price $85. Damn...
2. Comes with right angle adapter (for disc wheel) that sucks. I bought a separate chuck just in case.

The price tag is a bit of a showstopper to some of my friends. Whats a good alternative?
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry the non-gauge version in my frame bag on my gravel bike. I travel with a now discontinued travel pump that specialized used to make. A bit more substantial than this one but fits perfectly in my bike case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THIS is the pump I have & love it. I find the L-adaptor that comes with it just fine. I have a Zipp 900 & the pump adaptors with a lock don't work well with my wheel (not enough space). But the plastic L-adaptor works fine, you have to hold it with one hand while using the other to inflate. Unless you have someone to do one of those functions at a race.

It fits in a backpack and is solid! I find it the best travel option yet that I've come across.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a good alternative. It seems like an in-between size and weight (850 grams) from the one I posted (216 grams) and the full sized Lezyne (1380 grams).The price is slightly cheaper though. So thank you for the recommendation Rocky M!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vilen wrote:
Since regular floor pumps are too big and too heavy as a carry on

Why? I always fly with my floorpump in the bikecase.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Vilen wrote:
Since regular floor pumps are too big and too heavy as a carry on

Why? I always fly with my floorpump in the bikecase.

I agonized over this issue for a while, contemplated getting a smaller travel pump, then looked into the rechargeable electric pumps, considered buying a pump once I got to my final destination, but ended up just putting my regular pump in my checked luggage. I'm currently on my way to IM Norway (at Copenhagen airport right now). I'm comfortable with my own pump, know it works with a crackpipe on my disc, and it honestly doesn't weigh all that much. It's just easier to bring along, as long as you can stay under weight.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with this :
https://www.fumpapumps.com/
It just stays in my transition bag, for all intents and purposes.
The only con is the price, but :

6 full tires on a charge
Recharges via USB
Digital pressure Guage
Fits on a disc wheel
Only need 1 person to pump said disc (since pimping is just pressing a button)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same pump. I cut the hose off of another pump and put a valve stem into it reversed with a hose clamp. Then I was able to put that valve into the Lenzyne clamp and have a longer hose with a regular hose clamp.

Works so much better!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Lezyne travel pump with a KCNC pump head I found off of E-bay.. since I need something that works with a disc wheel AND locks on for hands free pumping. It also fits in my transition bag.. the alloy version is lighter by a little if weight is super important.

My setup is here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...for_a_disc_P6514591/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain with the 900 disc. I got given one of these by an LBS owner in Germany, I really wish I'd ask for another! Fits in the 900 recess without too much bother. I'm actually going to put it on my Micro Floor Drive, and put a Truflo Trackmate head on my big pump (cheaper version of the Silca Hiro).

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topeak Road Morph. Half the price of the Lezyne. Mines probably 15 years old at this point, works on my Flo disc, and has an inline gauge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help me to love this pump. I bought the travel pump with the standard (not digital) gauge some time ago, based on the favorable ST reviews, and it has been nothing but trouble. The head/chuck that comes with it only works with threaded valves. I have tubes on my wheels that only have a little bit of thread, not completely threaded, so the head won't attach. I used the pump on my friend's tubes before St. George and it pulled the valve core out, which was stressful because we didn't have the tool to tighten it back in. I bought another head for the pump, but now I don't see how to replace it, maybe I have to cut the old one off? Based on this thread I realized the pump came an angled chuck. So I just tried that and it will work on the non-threaded valves, but I have to hold it on, which seems like it could cause problems trying to do race morning in transition.
What can I do to make this pump work for me? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Hiro chuck from Silca.

It costs more than the entire Lezyne pump, but the two together work great.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! That could be the answer, I’ll give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or you could get a SILCA Viaggio that already comes with a Hiro chuck ;-)
100x the ergonomics, 10x the pumping volume, 10x the gauge accuracy and only 3x the price!
J

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can get this in the US, it might be an affordable option.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/...-Pump-Head_94710.htm

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
100x the ergonomics, 10x the pumping volume, 10x the gauge accuracy and only 3x the price!
J

I've been traveling with one of these for the last couple of months. It's amazing. Packable, super accurate, and easy to use.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
J

I had no idea the Viaggio came with a Hiro chuck. I own two Lezyne pumps and hate the threaded chuck which infrequently unscrews the valve core.

One thing though, pressure via bluetooth app only? I always have my phone on me, but I don't know about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The blue tooth gauge with the viaggio with the is super easy to use. Fire up Igauge on your phone and start pumping.
I think this is the best pump silca has made: super easy to travel with, it can easily replace a full size pump, and accurate to boot. I think this pump is Josh's stainless steel razor blade
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [E Ricca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I have a Viaggio for sale in the Classifieds!

EDITED: And I had a Viaggio for sale in the Classifieds! (Pump is sold)

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 8, 19 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Lyzene folding floor pump, and it's fantastic. It slips easily into the parts pocket in my bike bag, is very light weight, is fairly quick to inflate with (a bit slower than a floor pump, much faster and less effort than a hand pump). I got a bit better of a deal than $85, but it's definitely worth it... I've used it when traveling for races overseas, and never really missed my floor pump (and definitely didn't miss lugging it around). It's also a good size to slip into your bag to slip into transition race morning to pump tires if you've left the bike overnight... often they don't want people bringing pumps in, but never have enough loaners... I brought mine in to double check my pressure, and ended up lending it out to a half dozen people to pump their tires too... Only caution with it, is that if you do a number of tires with it, due to the metal shaft, it can heat up a bit and be very hot to the touch... it works well, but just be careful picking it up to stash it afterwards...
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bike pump to fly with? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw your classified. However, I live in Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
joshatsilca wrote:
J

I had no idea the Viaggio came with a Hiro chuck. I own two Lezyne pumps and hate the threaded chuck which infrequently unscrews the valve core.

One thing though, pressure via bluetooth app only? I always have my phone on me, but I don't know about that.

Really? Wow, never had that happen once with the valve core. Are you sure you're using it correctly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeap, it can happen. If the valve core is not securely tightened it can be unscrewed with the pump head.
Not only for that reason, but mainly for better comfort and ease of use I added to Lezyne Hiro chuck.
If you use latex inners in tubs and clinchers, meaning the pumping activity is on your daily schedule, threaded head pump can be sometimes frustrating and more time consuming for sure.
The other thing is, some valve extenders' cores are sitting deeper not exposing enough thread to allow threaded pump head to hook up securely.

On the subject of travel pump, if the airlines' weight limits allow I always take floor pump with me, Lezyne CNC is about 1.5kg if my memory serves me right.
Last edited by: 1415chris: Jun 27, 19 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
THIS is the pump I have & love it.

+1 for the Travel Floor pump.
I have the (discontinued?) version with the wooden handle. looks stylish!

The only thing it is failing me at is getting my MTB tubeless tyres to seal due to its relatively low cylinder volume, but that's to be expected for such a compact pump...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Jun 27, 19 4:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next