Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel bags need to be redesigned?
Quote | Reply
I used to use a hen house to get by with traveling until I got fed up with assembly and disassembly. The last 2 years I’ve been using the Premier travel bag and like it for the most part. I still have to take off my extensions and seat post which normally are not a problem unless they are concreted in by the salt of my sweat.

So with the airline industry relaxing their rules on price and size of bike boxes, are there any bike boxes that fit a bike in without disassembly? I just want to take off my wheels and maybe my rear derailleur and pedals. That’s it! I think this is a great opportunity for a company to do this.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the BikeBoxAlan new easy fit box is what you're looking for?

https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=7516fd43adaa
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [rlund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The extensions on the bike in the picture are pretty short. Not sure if most try bikes would fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I know some airlines still require that the handlebars are parallel with the frame when the bike is packed. The carrier I’m using to go to Europe this summer has that stipulation.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I know some airlines still require that the handlebars are parallel with the frame when the bike is packed. The carrier I’m using to go to Europe this summer has that stipulation.
Do extensions count?
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only ever traveled with a road bike, so not sure what the usual packing method is for long extensions... the idea is you can't have the bars sticking out to the side when the bag's packed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what you need. It work great for me.

https://ca.sciconbags.com/...-tsa-bike-travel-bag
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driver_ian wrote:

This looks like the best bag ever... How does it hold up in planes?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a road version that I used with my road and tri bike for over 20 flights. The bags is in pretty good shape and is showing some wear and tear. I got tired of adjusting/removing my aerobars and after talking with some other triathletes upgraded to the tri version. I have had one flight with the tri version and it still looks like new. I always remove my rear derailleur and pedals in addition to my wheels, Seatpost and aerobars don't need to be touched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
This looks like the best bag ever... How does it hold up in planes?

So far for me on two occasions (IM70.3 Worlds in PE and IM70.3 Marbella) without any problems. I have to take the extension off though on my Shiv XL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
driver_ian wrote:

That bag would be perfect if it was a hard shell. Don’t some of the airlines require a hard shell now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
That bag would be perfect if it was a hard shell. Don’t some of the airlines require a hard shell now?

They will take your bike in a soft shell or cardboard box or with the handlebars and pedals attached but under limited release for liability meaning if it gets damaged they will not cover it. Their coverage won't come close to recover for a total loss so I have a rider on my homeowner's policy the covers my bike or anything else for damage or loss during travel that costs about $15/year. So it's all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mind if I ask which insurance you have your HOI with? I hadn’t heard of that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello. My experience with the Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0: I got it in May 2018 and have done about 12-15 long haul flights with it, mainly between Tokyo and the West Coast of the US. Very easy to pack (you just remove the wheels. Pedals and handlebars remain in place) but the package is very wide at the top, to accommodate the handlebars. TSA open it every time and I have found that, sometimes, the shifters get bent inwards, as I presume the handlers put the bike bag on its side. No big issue. Once, however, the entire bike was wrenched off the Scicon "frame defender" that you attach the bike to and there were scratches on the frame. Not sure if this was due to the handlers or TSA. Unfortunately, on my last fight back from SFO in late June 2019, the handlers managed to crack one of the rear seat stays and I now need to replace the entire frame. It's a Trek Emonda SLR so that will cost USD3,000 less the 20% Trek give you under the frame replacement program. An expensive lesson. I am now looking at a hard bike case. In summary, if your bike is expensive, I would highly recommend one of the hard cases on the market. Oh, another tip: one on trip, the bike arrived without the Di2 charger that I had in my bag... I can only assume that it is in a TSA checkpoint somewhere! It may be good to label all items so TSA to put them back in the right bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [ArunaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently sold my hard shell scion tsa and bought a biknd helium v4

I love the v4, super easy to pack the bike, very light, folds up and stuff in a bag when not In use. Can hold 4 wheels, inflatable sides

It’s awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
I just recently sold my hard shell scion tsa and bought a biknd helium v4

I love the v4, super easy to pack the bike, very light, folds up and stuff in a bag when not In use. Can hold 4 wheels, inflatable sides

It’s awesome

Nah. Too much disassembly required.
1) It should be hard case
2) take off wheels
3) pack and zip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cardboard box all the way...28 years and counting.
Remove front wheel and place to the side of frame.Rear wheel stays on as normal.
Take off stem and handlebars as one unit with all cables still attached.Aero bars still attached (depending on box).
Turn forks to the side and put drops through spoke of front wheel.
Pad with pool noodles,pull buoy and water bottles
One reason I still use an aero road bike for touring and tri's.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Aug 4, 19 5:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a warning I own this bag size xl shiv
and I have to take off my extensions
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! Bikes come from the factories in China to the shops in cardboard boxes, and people think they need to buy these extravagant cases just to look cool in the baggage area. Suckers.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no desire to take off anything except wheels. These integrated front ends aren’t that simple to take apart and put together.
The fact is now that airlines have relaxed their rules, we need to think more convenience with travel bags. There is absolutely no need to remove anything other than wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I used to use a hen house to get by with traveling until I got fed up with assembly and disassembly. The last 2 years I’ve been using the Premier travel bag and like it for the most part. I still have to take off my extensions and seat post which normally are not a problem unless they are concreted in by the salt of my sweat.

So with the airline industry relaxing their rules on price and size of bike boxes, are there any bike boxes that fit a bike in without disassembly? I just want to take off my wheels and maybe my rear derailleur and pedals. That’s it! I think this is a great opportunity for a company to do this.

There are bikes and cases that make traveling a bit easier:
https://vimeo.com/339456363

Quote Reply
Re: Travel bags need to be redesigned? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One shouldn’t have to choose a bike anymore based on ease of travel. That used to be the case (no pun intended) when airlines charged lots for bikes and overage charges for big cases. But one can design a bag now where any bike should be able to fit with only wheels off.
Quote Reply