Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transitioning from Outdoor to Indoor training - help
Quote | Reply
I live in the Northeast US and after a rough year which included some crashes, countless flats and the upcoming cold weather I want to transition to mostly indoor training. (4x per week) Looking for some input on my best option with what I have to start with.

My main road bike is a carbon 17' Fuji Transonic 2.1 Ultegra Di2 with a powertap g3 hub. My alternate road bike is a 09' aluminum Trek 1.2. Originally I was going to put my Trek on my CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer to save the Fuji from extra wear and don't really mind my trek. But without a power meter, I won't get much out of it. The fuji rear cog is a 11 speed and the trek is a 9 speed so I won't be able to just swap my rear wheel.

So should I
  1. Fuji on trainer, swap in a trainer tire, stop worrying
  2. Trek on trainer, buy another Powertap G3 for $399 or another power meter? and swap in a trainer tire

I guess I am worried about the additional wear on the Fuji; sweat, carbon stress, drivetrain, di2 components, etc that I could justify putting some money into another power meter on my beater bike.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by: rellim_ja: Oct 24, 18 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from Outdoor to Indoor training - help [rellim_ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a dedicated crappy old bike on the trainer. Get it set up as you need it and be done with it. I did try to use my tri bike a few times on the trainer but was too much hassle and it’s just one more thing to do before starting the workout
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from Outdoor to Indoor training - help [rellim_ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to each his own on this topic. I chose to use my tri bike on the trainer with a trainer tire over putting my other bike on it. Rationale was I bought the bike to use and not save for special occasions/races, has power meter already, fits well/specific, and if I wipe the bike down afterwards I don't have much concern on wear/tear. If the drivetrain wears out then I will be pretty happy as it means I put in a ton of miles and should be wicked fast. If you can't say the same as me then you are probably better off with the road bike on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you could put a spacer on the Powertap hub, put on a 9 speed cassette and use your Trek, unless I'm missing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than buy a power meter for your trek, consider spending a little more and get a smart trainer. If you're planning on doing a lot of indoor training it's worth it. If you can afford it get a direct drive (wheel off) trainer -- road feel is so good. Be aware that if you do eventually decide to upgrade to a wheel off trainer a PowerTap hub will of course not be of any use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the Trek.
Buy a smart trainer that already has built in power meter.
Cycleops is having a scratch and dent sale. Prices are coming down. Black Friday is coming.

SO MUCH more gains to be made in smart vs fluid trainer.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply