Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?)
Quote | Reply
While I have no sensible ambition (hope lives eternal) to win or even place, even in my ancient AG,
I still don't want the embarrassment of being the slowest thru T1 and T2. (and I often am.)

So first, from veterans anything special about Kona's transition compared to others (I know about the showers).
Second any tips in non wetsuit swim transitions being different. Haven't done a none wetsuit transition in decades.

Favourite transition process (equipment order etc from transition bags.) wouldn't hurt either.
(I may even practice this time)
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael,

What is your estimated swim time?

Just trying to gauge how busy transition will bem but with these new wave starts, I'm guessing for you not that hectic.

It's the same as at most races - they hand you your bag after you exit the showers (shout your number coming out of the showers), and then head to the change tent. Sit or stand as you like and then get the cycling kit organized, cycling shoes on, helmet is I think left at the bike, then you head to the bike - again, nicely shouting oyt your number, so you can get a bot of directional help. When you check the bike in the day before it's helpful to walk all this out, but it will look different with all the bikes in there. Get your bike then head to the start of the bike and the mount line!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you go to rack your bike the day before the race, they assign you a helper! That person will go with you to place your bike, and drop off your bags....you can't access your bags in the morning, so double and triple check them:) I asked my helper if I could walk the transitions...he said he needed to stay with me, but was glad to do that. It is quite a long walk around the pier, which you do both in t1 and t2. Super helpful volunteers! Enjoy and good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your estimated swim time?

Probably 1:16 - 1:20 (haven't raced in seawater) but I'm in 1:10 shape with a wetsuit.

I would imagine as it's not a self seeded start, all the women will have caught me (that can) and all the men (I can), so it will still be busy.

Are the tents a pain Mt Tremblant was great (huge), Louisville was not (fight for a seat).
Louisville had volunteers in Transition with sunscreen, Mt Tremblant didn't (mon dieu).
Exits were different in both and orientation to exits were different (rows etc)
Run in from the water was short on one and long on the other.....

So Kona ? All new for me (hope there's dolphins at least)

Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you aware age group wave starts this year so the self seeding won't be much of an issue this year it's a wide start line...

https://triathlonworld.com/szene/ironman-world-championship-moves-wave-starts-148239
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heading back this year too and I can't wait!

I raced 2015 and 2017 in non-wave starts with swims of 59 and 57 min respectively. For me, I very much felt I was in the midst of the "every single second" counts crowd of guys gunning for a podium, so it was a little hectic.(Regrettably, I have yet to figure out how to get my bike and run splits up to the standard my swim split implies!) The change tents are not huge and I can imagine getting filled.

Shouting out your number is key for getting your bag. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I had to leave my helmet in the bag both years. (Can someone with better memory clarify this point for us!)

They have SUPER helpful volunteers in the tent and it was 1:1 both years when I was in there. They will ask you what you want. They will also help you with sunscreen.

I suck with flying mounts so I put my bike shoes on. It's a LONG way around the pier without your bike at first, and still quite long once you've got to the bike and heading to the mount line. Make sure your bike is in an easy gear as you only have a few meters of flat road before it starts going up Palani. Between the hill and the potential traffic, you don't want to be in a big gear.

T2 is super smooth. Bike catchers, get your run gear, go. They have volunteers on the way out who will slather you with sunscreen.

One of the highlights of Kona transition are the volunteers who accompany you whilst racking your bike. They seem to love to chat, and it doesn't matter to them how long you take to walk the transition area to get a sense of the route. There are SO many racks, so pick your visual references very carefully. There are different sections of racks and the numbers can be confusing.

Another huge highlight after Mike Reilly calling out my home town, my adopted country of Taiwan, and the Ironman swag were the catchers after the finish line. In 2017, I met a couple from San Francisco who had done this for 17 years! Boy, did they had stories!!!

There are so many moments like this throughout the week and during the race that all the Kona/IM pessimists forget to point out amongst all the hype, money, draft packs and doping that unfortunately comes with part of the KQ crowd. We've got just over 2 weeks until we get to personally experience one of the most iconic events in endurance sports. Savour every single precious second and get ready to see the banyan tree and the hoopla of that finish line! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have volunteered several times in Kona in the mens T1 change tent. The fastest transitions are the Pro's, they wear their bike kit under their swimskin. They stop in the change tent less than 5 seconds on their way to the bike to strip their swimskins. Anything else they need is already at their bike (ie nutrition, bike shoes and helmets). Then the age groupers come in and many of the very competitive guys stop slightly longer than the Pro's, and then theirs the guys that take 15 minutes to transition. The longer transitions usually involve a full change from swim gear into cycling gear, including socks, shoes and suntan lotion. It is not uncommon for the slower guys to have a gel or cliff bar. I have even seen breakfast sandwiches consumed in the change tent. So unless you are going to have a picnic in T1 it is very unlikely that you will have the slowest transition at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's a lot of info. I will try and make "useful". Especially the gear advice on the bike and the bike shoes.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [driver_ian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a feeling I shouldn't pack the PB & J sandwiches.(did pack a muffin once)....sounds awesome. Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
I had a feeling I shouldn't pack the PB & J sandwiches.(did pack a muffin once)....sounds awesome. Cheers
If a PB&J is what will make your world go round, then by all means, pack it.
Note: when you're swim training on the course during the week, work on NOT swallowing salt water by blowing bubbles when your face is in the water. Saltwater doesn't sit well in the stomach.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saltwater doesn't sit well in the stomach.

Now that is a useful thought.
I have been trying to keep my trap shut (it's hard for me)in training, my wife will appreciate that. :0)
But seriously I have been swimming in a lake, with many many Canada Geese in it.
you don't want to swallow that stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I don't know if this violates any Kona rules, but for long transitions like Kona this is a good strategy if you are not leaving your shoes on your bike:

Consider *not* putting them on in the transition tent. It may be faster to run barefoot to your bike, and then put them on. Additionally, I have seen people run with their shoes to their bike, put their helmet on, slip the shoes over the aerobars, and then run to near the mount line and then put the bike shoes on (obviously in a location not to obstruct the flow of other athletes).
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could work (although I think there are rules about helmets).

I have light (ish) weight MTB shoes and spd pedals....so running isn't so much of a problem.
"Slip sliding away" on road shoes is just plain dangerous at the mount line, way way easier with the spd's.
Plus when you get a flat, (or can't make a hill, like that never happens), you can at least push the darn bike without falling over.

:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Louisville had volunteers in Transition with sunscreen, Mt Tremblant didn't (mon dieu).

I recall Kona had sunscreen in 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Transition in Kona (veteran advice ?) [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't know if this violates any Kona rules, but for long transitions like Kona this is a good strategy if you are not leaving your shoes on your bike:

Consider *not* putting them on in the transition tent. It may be faster to run barefoot to your bike, and then put them on. Additionally, I have seen people run with their shoes to their bike, put their helmet on, slip the shoes over the aerobars, and then run to near the mount line and then put the bike shoes on (obviously in a location not to obstruct the flow of other athletes).

I ran with my shoes in my hand in T1 in 2016. Depending on where you bike is racked (lower numbers closer to bike out) you can put them on at the bike or off to the side before the bike out area narrows (I can't remember which one I did). I wouldn't wait until after the mount line, its pretty tight for so many evenly matched athletes. Scout it out when you drop off your bike.

I use Speedplay walkable cleats these days which makes walking/running in T1 much easier.
Quote Reply