Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transition from marathon to half IM training?
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing my first marathon March 21st, I've been training for the past four months and I'm feeling pretty good about everything. I peaked around 55 mpw, with an average of 40 for 8+ weeks. I signed up for the Augusta half Ironman on September 27th. I'm not very fast at any individual sport, with running def being the worst. I'm hoping to finish the marathon in 4:30, my bike ftp is around 300 and I could probably do the Ironman swim at 2:00~/100m. I'm curious how I should focus my efforts over the next six months in preparation for the big day.
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from marathon to half IM training? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm similar, although my calendar is sooner and I've only done half marathons. After my half marathon in Dec, my son talked me into the Galveston HIM April 5. I was running around 35mpw. I found this 16 week training plan and have tried to stick with it https://www.triathlete.com/...thlon-training-plan/ (I'm in week 13 of the training).

I'm 59yo and not sure what event is my "best". I'm a slowish runner (10:50/mi in the half), slowish swimmer (at 2:00/100y) and a slowish biker (planning on 16mph - windy course). My goal is to finish within the 8 1/2 hours if the weather is the typical "bad" weather of too cold, too hot and/or too windy. If the weather is perfect for me, I have a goal of 7-7 1/2 hours.

From all my research, I wouldn't be "training" for a specific event for more than 16 weeks. If my HIM goes well enough that I want to attempt another HIM in late fall, I'll be doing all aerobic training with all three disciplines, especially focusing on swim technique during the swim to gain speed. I might even do some strength training, which I've done none of. My goal is to get more fit and do it without injuring myself.

YMMV as I am a complete novice.

Good luck!

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from marathon to half IM training? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just judging by what you have said so far, and just to be completely honest with you, the best chance of success for your 1/2 IM would be to try to lose body weight, and focus a lot of Zone 2 running, and cycling. Your FTP is already plenty high enough. Just seems like you need some additional base.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Transition from marathon to half IM training? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
Just judging by what you have said so far, and just to be completely honest with you, the best chance of success for your 1/2 IM would be to try to lose body weight, and focus a lot of Zone 2 running, and cycling. Your FTP is already plenty high enough. Just seems like you need some additional base.
That's kinda what I was leaning towards. Do you think I should just focus running for the next few months to get my base built up? I've already seen some pretty decent gains from when I started seriously training 4 months ago. I ran a Thanksgiving half at 2:29 then did another one a month ago at 2:13.
Quote Reply