Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training w/ the Flu?
Quote | Reply
I am 24 days out from IM Florida and have come down w/ the flu. Should I continue to train or rest to help get over this bug ASAP? Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Training w/ the Flu? [Wireless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 24 days out your fitness for the race is already locked in. There's no training that you can do at this point that can significantly improve race performance, but you CAN really mess things up if you continue to train and not give your body a chance to recover and get over this bug. You should definitely take it easy, focus on recovery, rest, and nutrition and rest, rest, rest. Use the time to work on stretching, race prep (gear, checklists, etc). Once you're over the bug you can jump into your taper and you'll be good to go. That's what I'd do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a doctor and have them write you a prescription for some anti-viral medication like Tamiflu. For these drugs to work you must take them within the first 24-48 hours of your symptoms. They can make a huge difference from personal experience. Get lots of rest and don't push it. You’re not going to get much fitter before the big race but you could deplete your immune system even more and develop complications (URTI). Good luck!

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to the rest advice. If you try to train with the flu, you are absolutely out of your mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General rule is never train with an elevated temperature or fever type symptoms. On the recovery once the worst is over keep intensity very low - possibly even go for a long walk on the first day you think you can train and if no problems start very eaily the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I know you're worried about losing fitness. That's really no big deal if you lose fitness...at least not compared to losing your tight fitting but flexible heart valves, or damaging your kidneys, or other organ damage that may or may not be reversable.

Look, some of these infections (how do you know you REALLY have the flu? You could have some other infection) can result in very serious damage to your heart valves. You don't want to risk getting Sub-acute Bacterial Endocarditis and having your chest split to replace an aortic or mitral valve. Also, there are viral infections that attack the heart muscle itself and can result in crippling it's ability to pump effectively....for the rest of your life.

The chances are not overwhelming that exercising with a flu-like illness will result in these problems, but the chances are not nearly close enough to Zero to justify the risk.

Just rest a bit...that certainly won't end up killing you. It may even improve your times to have your legs so fresh.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply