Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training volume poll?
Quote | Reply
Is anybody watching that? Less than a thousand checked in so far.
70% are in the 12 hr week or less category
30 % above that

I am surprised the numbers are that low, but it doesn't qualify what races the voters were training for. Or what level they are trying to accomplish. So I guess the results will be a bit vague. But interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
30 % above that

I am surprised the numbers are that low, but it doesn't qualify what races the voters were training for. Or what level they are trying to accomplish. So I guess the results will be a bit vague. But interesting.

Yeah, I think in order to be really informative, there would have to be some sort of classification system (perhaps multi-tiered). Skill level and race distance would be critical cofactors.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
30 % above that

I'm very surprised also. I've always thought most ST posters train at least 15 hr/wk. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on average 11-12 hours/week, but focus on olympic distance and throw in 2-3 sprint tri's every year. Looking to do my first 70.3 next year (this year is 3rd year in the sport, age 27).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My surprise was that stretching was excluded from the training time. I answered honestly as specified, but 5 mins stretching is just as important as 5 mins of swim drills or cadence spinning for example.

Also, I would guess that if the poll was done in June for NH or Dec/Jan for SH then the answer would be a bit higher perhaps.

Or maybe we are seeing more people actually focus on 70.3 or standard and live balanced life, despite the 'chatter' that tends to the extremes.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

Or maybe we are seeing more people actually focus on 70.3 or standard and live balanced life, despite the 'chatter' that tends to the extremes.

That is where I’m at. I put 12-15 hrs, but most of that comes from M-F before work and at lunch. It’s the big long weekends that are required to get above 20. I don’t want anything to do with that, save for a few weekends max ahead of a big race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Kona 2015-16-17 .. training started at 15hrs - 30 Hrs over a 12 week period .
But remember x=1 no one is the same
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
G-man wrote:
30 % above that

I'm very surprised also. I've always thought most ST posters train at least 15 hr/wk. :)
I was slightly surprised in the opposite direction!
I reckoned plenty STers trained high volume but that the majority were still probably <10hrs/week. However it's only about 43% under 10hrs as it stands. I have very briefly been in the 10-12 or even 12-15hr/wk range for just a few peak weeks before approaching races some years. However, the poll states season average and for me that's far, far, lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
G-man wrote:
30 % above that

I was slightly surprised in the opposite direction!
I reckoned plenty STers trained high volume but that the majority were still probably <10hrs/week. However it's only about 43% under 10hrs as it stands. I have very briefly been in the 10-12 or even 12-15hr/wk range for just a few peak weeks before approaching races some years. However, the poll states season average and for me that's far, far, lower.

I don't believe a lot of those numbers (if we are talking about a true weekly average over the entire year).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is a bit vague. Over the course of a year, I average around 11-12 hours a week. I'm currently seven weeks out from an IM and averaging around 15 hours a week over the past month or so, but this built up from the 11-12 hour range starting in January. I'll probably hit two 18-19 hour weeks, but will average around 16 over a 14 week period heading into my A race.

Having a few separate polls - maybe one for IM training, one for 70.3, and one for Olympic and less would paint a better picture of weekly training averages.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Off season, sick weeks, etc. 0’s drop it down real quick. I also don’t think people are giving an accurate accounting.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
The question is a bit vague. Over the course of a year, I average around 11-12 hours a week. I'm currently seven weeks out from an IM and averaging around 15 hours a week over the past month or so, but this built up from the 11-12 hour range starting in January. I'll probably hit two 18-19 hour weeks, but will average around 16 over a 14 week period heading into my A race.

Having a few separate polls - maybe one for IM training, one for 70.3, and one for Olympic and less would paint a better picture of weekly training averages.

My n=1 response....
  • 43 yo guy
  • training for sprint, olympic races
  • this is my first year doing structured training
  • I averaged ~8 hrs/week throughout the winter (Nov-Mar)
  • I've been averaging ~9 hrs/week since 4/1 (and expect that will continue through the summer)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah...what one is training for would greatly skew that data. Also, do you or don't you count dead time in the water (TrainingPeaks doesn't) and it'd be interesting to know how much of weekly volume is allotted to a long bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST is an outlier of folks really into what they're doing. Also, I'd be interested how the poll is skewed by low TSS and very time intensive bike riding. Meaning, I'd be more interested in what the TSS is.

Then again, I typically get the impression folks able to recite the weekly TSS would be skewed towards the higher end versus other folks.

I don't think the hours would necessarily correspond well to training stress across large groups of people. But, like I said, if you asked the TSS question you'd get a biased answer towards the upper end.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
This. Off season, sick weeks, etc. 0’s drop it down real quick. I also don’t think people are giving an accurate accounting.

It does specifically say "in season", so the off-season 0s don't apply. However, as with a thread about the 100/100 average pace, I think a relatively few vocal posters create the impression that everyone on ST trains 14+ hours and runs 50mpw at 7:00 pace.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First year of 70.3 training. Planned it all out...granted I was coming from almost zero base due to being broken all last summer. I was going to peak at 19 hours in the build phase...but there was a week I got to 12 hours, when I was supposed to hit 15...and it about broke me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't believe a lot of those numbers (if we are talking about a true weekly average over the entire year).

Well the poll says "How many hours, as an average, during the season...". During the season is a bit subjective. I voted 15 to 20. I chose May through September as that aligns with my race season (first short course race in June building to a fall Ironman). Doing an entire calendar year would have bumped me down to 12 to 15.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took last 365 days in TP and used the average from all logged training. Not including foam rolling, mobility training etc. So yes, I think the answer was quite spot on for me. True for n=1. Anyone care to proceed by induction?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it varies year-to-year. Last year I was in 20-30hr/wk group. This year I’m < 8hrs/wk ytd, so that’s what I indicated in the poll. There is definitely more to talk about when you train a lot, so maybe that explains some of the data that you are seeing.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
G-man wrote:
30 % above that

Yeah, I think in order to be really informative, there would have to be some sort of classification system (perhaps multi-tiered). Skill level and race distance would be critical cofactors.

Agree. There's definitely some different levels here. I'm a MOPer. I could train more but I don't want to. I train enough to be okay-is (poor by ST standards) and I've improved over the years but I know mentally I would start getting miserable putting in 15+ hours a week year after year. I think I answered 8-10 for this year as I have a HIM and IM. Granted the IM will bump me up a little but as an overall average I'll probably be in that range.
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
My surprise was that stretching was excluded from the training time. I answered honestly as specified, but 5 mins stretching is just as important as 5 mins of swim drills or cadence spinning for example.

Given how most people shave no idea what drills to do to fix which swim problems 5 min of stretching is probably > 5 min of swimming drills

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many people have this assbackwards.

Hours spent training should be a function of desire and available time.

Choosing races should also be a function of desire, scheduling and cost.

The same athlete will achieve the same results (in terms of placing or percentage of ability) with the same time spent training across EVERY distance of triathlon.

For example, if I spend 18hr/wk training- I will finish in the top 1% of my AG at every distance- sprint, Olympic, 70.3, 140.6.
If I spend 9 hr/will training- I will finish in the top 10%.
If I spend 4hr/wk training- I will finish in the top 50%
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 10, 19 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Training volume poll? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, missed that part.
Quote Reply