Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race
Quote | Reply
As the title suggest, I am 6 weeks out from a 2 day, 3 stage MTB race. 2 stages on Saturday, I anticipate 4 hours for the first, and 12-20 minutes for the afternoon TT. Then a 2-2.5 hour stage on Sunday. I have a solid endurance base, I've been doing 4-5 hour gravel rides for the last 6 weeks or so with a 5 hour gravel race the last week in September. I don't typically do 2 long or hard days in a row, and that is what I'm going to add to my training to get ready for 2 days in a row of harder riding. I was thinking of starting at 5 and 2 on the weekends and building to 6 & 3-3.5 over the next 4 weeks. Maybe a two a day on Saturday to mimic what the race will be. This is addition to T,W,Th which will include a couple of easy spins and one interval session. Anyone have any other suggestions or tips? This is a last minute addition to the calendar, so I'm kind of winging it. The terrain is not technical nor are there any sustained climbs. It will be a lot of short punchy climbs and flowy downhills, so I won't be getting beat up by a lot of roots and rock gardens. Any input would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done several of these stage races on the road and the training isn't much different than normal. The best plan (at least in my experience) is to only use as much energy as necessary during the long morning stage and then just warm up for a couple of minutes before the afternoon stage (you'll already be pretty cooked from the morning so a long warmup will only work against you). Most riders will basically crash (figuratively speaking I hope) during the afternoon session so carry as much "freshness" as you can into that stage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a ride this Summer that was similar in structure, 4 days/450ish miles (road, however, not MTB) and for what it's worth, LOTS of stretching before and after made it much more pleasant. By the end, all the little slight aches and pains you get after a "normal" ride are magnified exponentially.

I also pack lidocaine patches and aspercreme with lidocaine to keep inflammation at bay, and take an otc anti-inflammatory in the morning and throughout the days. A little bit of swelling in the tendons can cause all kinds of misery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would practice nutrition during your training when you’re looking to mimic race conditions. When I’ve done consecutive day events I find I need more fuel the 2nd and 3rd days than I would if I were doing that distance as a stand alone single day race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What race? Sounds like Tour de Pocahontas in Richmond, VA.
Quote Reply
Re: Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:

You are correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice won't line up with exactly what you're looking for: be conscious of whether or not you start to get sloppy during your training rides. If you get sloppy, pull the plug. Not worth getting a stupid injury at this phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
mjp202 wrote:

You are correct.

Nice. The Sunday XC race last year was my first ever MTB race. Pocahontas State Park is a great venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a trainer and make sure you get a legit cool down and warm up between stage 1 and 2. Get a good warm up on stage 3, nothing worse than being worn down and having to go full gas right away.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
As the title suggest, I am 6 weeks out from a 2 day, 3 stage MTB race. 2 stages on Saturday, I anticipate 4 hours for the first, and 12-20 minutes for the afternoon TT. Then a 2-2.5 hour stage on Sunday. I have a solid endurance base, I've been doing 4-5 hour gravel rides for the last 6 weeks or so with a 5 hour gravel race the last week in September. I don't typically do 2 long or hard days in a row, and that is what I'm going to add to my training to get ready for 2 days in a row of harder riding. I was thinking of starting at 5 and 2 on the weekends and building to 6 & 3-3.5 over the next 4 weeks. Maybe a two a day on Saturday to mimic what the race will be. This is addition to T,W,Th which will include a couple of easy spins and one interval session. Anyone have any other suggestions or tips? This is a last minute addition to the calendar, so I'm kind of winging it. The terrain is not technical nor are there any sustained climbs. It will be a lot of short punchy climbs and flowy downhills, so I won't be getting beat up by a lot of roots and rock gardens. Any input would be appreciated.

you don't mention what bike you typically ride on your long days but i would strongly suggest spending 4+ hours on your mountain bike quite a few times leading up to the race. to be ready for something specific like this you have to prepare specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
I did a ride this Summer that was similar in structure, 4 days/450ish miles (road, however, not MTB) and for what it's worth, LOTS of stretching before and after made it much more pleasant. By the end, all the little slight aches and pains you get after a "normal" ride are magnified exponentially.

I also pack lidocaine patches and aspercreme with lidocaine to keep inflammation at bay, and take an otc anti-inflammatory in the morning and throughout the days. A little bit of swelling in the tendons can cause all kinds of misery.

a multi stage mountain bike event is a totally different animal from a gran fondo style road event. not even close, really.

also, NSAIDS are not a good idea to take during endurance events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you do a couple 2x day workouts? Mostly to let you know how your legs do with something short and hard after a long ride earlier in the day? Do you have 2 hard days in a row? I would do this a couple of times. Mainly to know how my legs do.
Quote Reply
Re: Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:

you don't mention what bike you typically ride on your long days but i would strongly suggest spending 4+ hours on your mountain bike quite a few times leading up to the race. to be ready for something specific like this you have to prepare specifically.

I used my MTB for the gravel race, so I have been doing all my long days on it, although I did have a Jones bar on it for the gravel training and race. I just switched back to a flat bar, and am going to get out the next 2 weekends for long rides on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Training tips for 2 day 3 stage MTB race [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Can you do a couple 2x day workouts? Mostly to let you know how your legs do with something short and hard after a long ride earlier in the day? Do you have 2 hard days in a row? I would do this a couple of times. Mainly to know how my legs do.

Good suggestions, I am going to try to incorporate both into my plan. I almost never do hard days back to back. I'm planning on 4 hours this Saturday on similar terrain for my race, not race pace, but not easy and then 2 hours on Sunday, again, weather is going to determine if it's on the MTB or road bike. I am planning on adding some 2x days a little later on also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Component parts of the race as always.

As you're into the last 6 weeks with a good base, this would be the specificity block.

Are you going to need a hard acceleration at the beginning of the first and third stages to get a good position?

The terrain you describe seems like lots of short efforts with short recoveries -> high volume two minute intervals, mix out of saddle and seated.

I would also mix in sessions focussed on high tension/ low cadence intervals (muscle recruitment) for efficiency if that wasn't included in the base.

As already mentioned on here, double bike days are probably your best friend.

I would probably work on a 3 days build, 1 day easy, cycle. (only one of those days should be a double bike day).

Aside from the training and also for at the race, make sure you're getting your legs elevated after working them, stay hydrated and spend 10-15 mins daily on core and flexibility and as always, sleep as much as possible.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply