Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training stress tracking, by zone, in Excel
Quote | Reply
This has been a little pet project for a bit. I don’t have a home computer really, only some pretty restricted usage work laptop and phone. Can’t really use some websites and programs. So Golden Cheetah is out. I don’t pay for TP, and have used Excel for a while to track stuff.

I never really paid a lot of attention to it other than to see my values change when I would prepare for an event. Like, lots of TSS and Z2 and SS work before a gravel grinder. Then switch over to threshold/VO2 for road stuff, etc..

I know other stuff can probably do this, but I was curious as to how good or bad I was at choosing and executing some work in the right areas.

So, step 1 was to update the Excel sheet to give me TSS, CTL, ATL, TSB…….by zone. Then graph it.

Step 2, not complete, is to dump in some power/duration data into the same sheet

I had to play with stuff in the sheet to get the contributions of each to overall to make sense. However, I’ve gotten it pretty close so that when I’m in a SS workout time period before a gravel grinder…..you see Z2/Z3/Z4 TSB go negative and those loads go up. Same for now, doing VO2 stuff.

Just a little fun. It’ll take some time to dump the power/duration data into the sheet and get some plots for those milestones over time. That’ll take some farting around to get something meaningful to me.

If you have any suggestions of ways to display this or use it now that I’ve done it, I’m open to ideas.

So……data by zone……don't giggle at the numbers, remember it's by zone

Quote Reply
Re: Training stress tracking, by zone, in Excel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always appreciate a hands on approach to things like this. I play around with my gpx files in a GIS. What formulas did you use to derive your TSS and such??

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Training stress tracking, by zone, in Excel [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I always appreciate a hands on approach to things like this. I play around with my gpx files in a GIS. What formulas did you use to derive your TSS and such??

For any of the really smart technical folks on this topic, this is playtime, not exact science. As a disclaimer.

But, I basically put in the separate duration of time per zone for each ride/workout. There are then columns that apply a weighting factor per zone and then scales the overall TSS for a workout to get each zone TSS score.

The total of the zone TSS's adds to the overall TSS of the workout. But, zones that should contribute more to overall TSS wind up with more TSS in that zone.

The weighting seems OK for now. It's not perfect, but gives me something.

So I basically weight the zones and then see what % of overall TSS each zone is.

Z1/Z2 get the least scale factor, then 3/4, then 5/6.

I know there's inherent flaws in it, but, it gives me a really good idea of something visual for my training over time, by zone. So, I can keep myself honest in training for what matters to me.

Even if a bit flawed, at least it's consistent and pairs up well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Training stress tracking, by zone, in Excel [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's nice work. I would have given up after 10 minutes and bought an old laptop for $50 to run Golden Cheetah.
Quote Reply
Re: Training stress tracking, by zone, in Excel [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than a month later.......here's some screenshots with some notes I took to show what was going on with each "peak" in the chart.

The current Z4 rise is because I'm spending a lot of effort on 3x8, 3x10, 2x20, 1x60 stuff to get my 40k TT efforts better and maybe target an event. Can't decide yet to sign up. Need to glue up the new tubs and do a new test ride to see how close to "competitive" I am.

One problem with this is that I will need to have multiple "current zones" references for each time I do a new 20min test or other testing. Otherwise the zones and loads will skew over time.

I didn't post it, but I'm also tracking my "best efforts" per ride or workout. Best 5s, 1min, 2min, 5min, 12min, 20min, hour.........basically what TP gives you each workout. Only problem with that so far is discipline. I don't have any kind of routine "benchmarking" workouts to get those numbers. So, they often may skew low depending on what interval durations I'm doing.

As soon as I'm done with the TT work, I'm going to pour on the Z5. I think too often I go too hard or target too high on the VO2 and don't do enough Z5 stuff to tickle up my 3min to 4min power. Notice how the Z6 contribution is higher than Z5. I'd have expected the opposite perhaps.

Quote Reply