Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training software
Quote | Reply
Looking for some good free training software that has recovery advisory and training loads. My Garmin is great but won’t track my swim without getting an HRM swim. I’m not keen on spending that much on a single use piece of gear.

Questions.

Can I use Polar Flow with my Garmin somehow?

Are there any 3rd party straps (such as the PolarH10) that will record swim HR on a 935?

What 3rd party softwares will give you the easy to read metrics of Garmin Connects First Bear or Polar Flow without having to pay a subscription or do any of my own calculations? If possible I just want plug and play.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Training software [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to muddy the waters but if you get the HRM tri (instead of swim), I believe that can track running power. It then won't be a single use device.

Also I think the 945 might do swim HR without a strap. At least it was in beta a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way to get data into Polar Flow is to use a Polar device. Using a Polar H10 with Flow would work as it records the data in stand alone mode.

Getting the Polar H10 to stay on I. The pool without wetsuit, swimskin or triathlon top is impossible.

Polar won’t do any calculations regarding training stress from swimming without heart rate. If you use the watch without recording heart rate it will only count the movement witch is basically nothing.

Price of the H10 compared to the Garmin swim strap is pretty similar. And H10 signal won’t reach the Garmin watch since Bluetooth not ANT+ travel thru water. Recorded data in H10 wont transfer to Garmin devices.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Training software [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just pony up for a Training Peaks account. I started mine back in August and it has quite a lot of functionality that I didn't realize. Worth the subscription imo. You can check your HR the old fashioned way in the pool every now and then but mostly follow the clock, RPE and your training plan. Everything else just drops in and works pretty well as long as your threshold numbers are accurate.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above-- pretty sure the 935 also got the update to track swim HR. My 945 tracks swim HR now, and it is freakin' awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Training software [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, the 945 tracks swim HR (via the wrist sensor)? While you’re swimming or just during rest intervals with arm out of water? Is there something you have to do to enable this? Mine doesn’t seem to be tracking HR and it tries to search for the HRM SWM after each swim, which I can’t stand wearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Training software [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it tracks it all the time, and it appears to do a pretty good job. Garmin rolled it in about a month ago. There is an option on the internal HR setting to enable wrist HR while swimming. Maybe yours defaults to the Swim HRM if it was once connected. If it still searches after you enable the wrist HRM, maybe try disabling the swim HRM and see if the watch settles down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Ditto above-- pretty sure the 935 also got the update to track swim HR. My 945 tracks swim HR now, and it is freakin' awesome.

can you set an alert, ie vibrate if out of range X to Y ?
Quote Reply
Re: Training software [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I’m not sure; I’ve never tried that. I will poke around and look the next time I am using the watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
marcag wrote:
I’m not sure; I’ve never tried that. I will poke around and look the next time I am using the watch.

thanks

would be cool for OWS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Nope. To date the 935 will not track swim HR from the internal sensor.

The garmin HR swim strap is different from the Tri swim strap. Wider and different material. The Tri strap would slide to my waist on the 3rd of 4th flip off the wall. The HR swim stays put.

The HR swim will work in bike and run mode, but it wouldn't be comfortable. It is a silicone strap that is about 50% wider than the other 2 straps.

Edit: just realized you were referring to the 935 and I was thinking 735. You are correct, the 935 is supposed to have the upgrade. I have a 735 and was bummed it didn't get it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Last edited by: AutomaticJack: Nov 3, 19 15:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
My Garmin is great but won’t track my swim without getting an HRM swim.
Follow-up to my earlier post because I was curious... It looks like Garmin has not enabled the wrist HR feature on prior-generation watches. So, the 935 does not get built-in swimming HR. No mention of it in any of the beta or production firmware release notes. On the upside, Garmin Connect does use swim HR from my 945 for training load and training effect. It is very cool, but no joy for your watch.
Quote Reply