Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training shoes for Vaporfly next %
Quote | Reply
Currently I run in Altra Escalante. Last year I bought myself a pair of the Nike next 4% shoes thinking I would have a nice pair for racing. With the way this year has turned out they are still in the box with 1 treadmill mile on them. Knowing that they have a diminishing return for wear is there a Nike shoe that replicates these for training? I think it would be good to transition as marathons get closer to something similar to these to ensure no mile 20 disasters.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [chirider990] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The zoom fly is meant to be the trainer version of the vaporfly, just as tempo NEXT is for the alphafly.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve put over 1k miles on a couple pairs of infinity reacts this year with another pair in the mail...seriously versatile shoe.

Kind of had issues with the heel on the first pair after like 300 miles but still got them to 500 before retiring.

Are you planning on doing workouts or just tempo/easy/long runs in them?

Eitheway I don’t have issues going faster than marathon or half marathon pace in them for distances over 15 miles.

Not a huge fair or this years pegs or the tempos.

Nike will market the tempo as the complimentary shoe to the alpha fly but I don’t think that’s a fair comparison.

I’d argue the peg turbos were designed to be the complimentary shoe to the 4% but they are very difficult to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sticking with Nike I'd say the Zoom Fly 3 as well. However, I feel that they are a lot less cushioned than the Vaporflys. Going past the brand boundaries I find that the Saucony Endorphin Speed approach the cushioning better than the Zoom Fly 3 does. The toe-off of the Endorphin Speed is more snappy though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your subject says Next % but your post says 4% which shoe do you have? I have both pairs of shoes but have stocked up on the 4% as I find they suit me best. I have been training in the Nike Pegasus Turbo since running in either pair and find they have very similar characteristics. The Pegasus Turbo II are very much like the 4% just a lot more stable shoe with the same drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't you do some training in the shoe you plan to race in? Not saying to do all your training in them but at least once every couple/few weeks put them on for a tempo run or a long run. I'd say do the majority of your training in ANY shoe that works for you, if the Altra is working, keep using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dont want to use a shoe like the Next% for frequent training. Not because it is a bad shoe for that but because it is a very expensive shoe and not super durable. Wearing it 1-2 times befor a race is all you really need to be adjusted well for a race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoom fly.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very difficult to find Zoom Fly 3s in stock anywhere in the more common sizes, specifically for me US 9, but noticed the same for many of the sizes in the middle of the bell curve. Makes we wonder if the Zoom Fly 4 is imminent.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
It's very difficult to find Zoom Fly 3s in stock anywhere in the more common sizes, specifically for me US 9, but noticed the same for many of the sizes in the middle of the bell curve. Makes we wonder if the Zoom Fly 4 is imminent.

ZF3s are on Stock X. I’ve bought lots of pairs of ZF3s off of there.

https://stockx.com/...vna8I6BoCb7sQAvD_BwE

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eBay. Just got a pair of the flyknit versions for $75 shipped. See a lot of zf3 for $100-125 on there now.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shortly after my post I purchased a pair on goat.com for $124 plus $12 shipping. Saw some on ebay but went with goat.com to make sure they are authentic. Apparently there are a lot of fakes out there, not sure if running shoes would be as likely candidates to be counterfeited as some "collectable" other sneakers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad find! Don’t think there is too big of an issue with fake zf shoes but next% yes!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:
You dont want to use a shoe like the Next% for frequent training. Not because it is a bad shoe for that but because it is a very expensive shoe and not super durable. Wearing it 1-2 times befor a race is all you really need to be adjusted well for a race

Terrible advice. I would never recommend that anyone race a marathon in a shoe they have worn 1-2x. If you can't train in the shoes because they are expensive, then buy shoes you can afford.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Nov 11, 20 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

Terrible advice. I would never recommend that anyone race a marathon in a shoe they have worn 1-2x. If you can't train in the shoes because they are expensive, then buy shoes you can afford.

1-2 times is probably not the best advice but SnowChicken's point is not a bad one even for a hypothetical situation of unlimited money and unlimited availability of the shoes. The shoes (VF, AF) are designed for racing, I wouldn't expect them to necessarily hold up well as a daily training shoe.

Some of that could just be Nike wanting to sell twice as many shoes ("Tell them the expensive ones are just for racing, they need a second pair of shoes for training") but there are many reports of VFs "breaking down" by various definitions within a fairly short lifespan for a running shoe. They are very light for a shoe with so much stuff in it and I'd imagine that comes with some tradeoffs on durability.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what its worth, I have a pair of Vaporfly Next% that I've been training in, and they have 600-700km on them as of now, and still feel good. I'm sure they don't have the pop of a new pair, but they still leave my legs feeling more fresh than other shoes, including saucy endorphins. If you can get this many km's out of a pair, that takes the sting out of the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Vaporflys are holding up pretty well also and still feel really good, even after 200 miles. I plan to keep them as a training shoe and order a new pair for next season for racing.
Last edited by: dktxracer: Nov 14, 20 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: Training shoes for Vaporfly next % [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like some knowledge on Nike!

Do you know what replaces the Odyssey 2 ?

They worked well for me and are no longer available.
Quote Reply