Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training same day after dry needling?
Quote | Reply
I got off work early to go to my dry needling appoint for a tight glute. Currently sitting at home and the weather is beautiful—any harm in going for an easy 60 minute spin? It feels a little sore, but overall okay.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Training same day after dry needling? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about riding. Just drink plenty of water and foam roll as well.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to the physio by bike, ride out of there after being stabbed more than a few times. No issues other than feeling a bit gritty.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: May 17, 19 19:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dry needled by four different PTs. Three of the four told me there are no restrictions on training after dry needling. The 4th told me not to run until the soreness is almost gone (down to 20% of max) but everything else is fine immediately after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two different physios have dry needled me, both say no training that day. Need to let any internal bleeding settle down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to hijack but what is the difference between dry needling and acupuncture?

Or is it just a different term to market something "new" that is the same as acupuncture?
Quote Reply
Re: Training same day after dry needling? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking as a patient, not as an expert. The needles are more or less the same, but used differently. My understanding is that in acupuncture needles are left static for some time, whereas in dry needling they are moved vigorously in search of the knot in the muscle, and application takes seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Training same day after dry needling? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair to say in other words...

Acupuncturists know where to place the needles first.

Dry needlers are guessing or chasing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Fair to say in other words...

Acupuncturists know where to place the needles first.

Dry needlers are guessing or chasing?

I don’t think that’s exactly right. I’ve only been a dry needling patient. And my PT starts with almost a massage to find the knot and pinpoint the area for needle insertion. I’ve then had the needle manually manipulated and electrically energized. So I wouldn’t say “guessing” per se.

I’ve always thought of acupuncture as more of a holistic treatment and energy -chi kind of stuff. But I could be way off.

ETA - to the OP ive had some dry needling that didn’t leave me extremely sore and I’ve done some light workouts after focusing on good recovery immediately following. And I’ve had some that left me so sore I was doing nothing that day. So I guess it depends.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Last edited by: tjones2k9: May 20, 19 6:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had zero restrictions on working out. I went and ran right after my appointments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I frequently get leg dry needled at PT, then go and run on the treadmill at PT. As long as there is no new soreness that the run brings, he's ok with me on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dry needling is a combination acupuncture & electric stimulation therapy. The PT will put a needle in the problem area, then send electrical pulses into the needle, and onto the problem area.

Helped me a lot!
Quote Reply