Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout?
Quote | Reply
I am following a Matt F plan which has weekly brick workouts. However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get TP to recognize 2 .fit files as a single workout... am I missing something obvious or is a clever solution to this? Much appreciated.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Manual upload via upload button in the middle of the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not it. That simply allows me to create 2 individual workouts - as opposed to merging them into a brick.

Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does it matter, is there some advantage to having on your training log as one workout?
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think that it matters for the TSS calculation, no? Also i am obviously OCD :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're thinking that you get more TSS "credit" for running straight after biking then unfortunately that's not the case; you get the same TSS for running a mile (at pace xx:xx), whether it's the first mile of a recovery day short run or the last mile of Ironman run.

Either way TrainingPeaks can't display multisport files as a single activity; if you upload or autosync a multisport file it'll break it out into the individual files for each leg. You can plan or manually log a brick session, but that's about it. Having used the multisport view on Garmin Connect, it's a bit pointless anyway, because all you want to do is immediately drill down into each individual sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,
First time poster on the forum. When searching for information about BRick session and Trainingpeaks, this was the best result I could find.

This thread is 2 years old so I was wondering if there has been any new development from Garmin/TrainingPeaks, or if this info is still valid?

The screenshot below is the part I am unsure about. The Brick session was uploaded by my coach, and the two grey sessions is what I did last night.
If I edit the Brick session to "completed" the total amount of minutes for the week will be incorrect. I guess I could say I completed the workout in 0 minutes, but won't that mess up the Fitness/Fatigue/Form/TSS numbers?

Is there any way to mark this as completed without adding the extra time to the total of the week?

Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Espent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: no.

Have your coach (or you do it yourself) prescribe the brick in two separate workouts (1 bike, 1 run).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Espent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are apps out there that will split or combine workouts for you.
I've used some of them when I botch pressing a button on my watch during a race or something.

The easiest thing to do would be to delete the workout your coach assigned.
Then create 2 separate workouts- 1 bike, 1 run- for the appropriate amount of time/mileage.
Drag and drop your completed workouts into the new ones you created, say yes to pairing, and you now have a completed brick.
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Splitting them up is quite quick and easy so I can live with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried dragging and dropping the bike and the run onto the brick? should work iirc
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying that earlier today when I read the post and was unsuccessful. I was hoping someone else could do it.

I created a Brick Workout and dropped yesterday's bike ride onto it and that worked fine. I then dropped my run onto it and it just added miles to the bike ride.

So it didn't work for me and I'm a Premium TP user
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I do for my athletes is have the brick workout on the day with zero predicted time (just an description of the set) and then individualize each workouts (bike and run seperate) entries with predicted/complete times. Then on the brick workout I never had any predicted time so that it doesn't then double count the training time/volume. It will stay gray and not red/green. Then your garmin will upload to the prescribed workout and the day will have 1 gray box (the brick description with no time in it) + 2 different workouts.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 30, 18 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had to get over my OCD...if you did the work, you did the work.
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What I do for my athletes is have the brick workout on the day with zero predicted time (just an description of the set) and then individualize each workouts (bike and run seperate) entries with predicted/complete times. Then on the brick workout I never had any predicted time so that it doesn't then double count the training time/volume. It will stay gray and not red/green. Then your garmin will upload to the prescribed workout and the day will have 1 gray box (the brick description with no time in it) + 2 different workouts.

This is what my coach does as well... I guess that way I can look back and know it was a brick that day...

In any event, the brick "workout" in TP is pretty useless IMO. Just log your SBR separately.
Quote Reply
Re: Training peaks - how to properly log a brick workout? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just created a race (triathlon) and dropped all of the separate events onto it and they linked together under the race header.

Perhaps that could help
Quote Reply