Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training on steep/tri bike
Quote | Reply
I am trying to justify (to myself and the bank balance) the need for two bikes). At the moment I have road set-up with clip-ons (73.5 degree seat angle). I am looking at getting a P3 and seeing if steep works for me.

Is there a genuine need to have two bikes?

If you have a bike set up for Time Trial/Triathlon with a 76-78 degree seat angle and one pice pursuit bars what is wrong with training on it all the time?

Can you climb training hills (i.e. much steeper and longer than those encountered in races) on such a set up?

Why do people who have a training bike have it set-up "roady" style on not the same as their race bike?

Is it unsafe at all in any way?
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [Straight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had only one bike to train and race on for the past 10 years. It has always been a steep angled, 650 wheeled bike and I have logged huge volumes of miles on it in training and racing. It really depends on what your main use is. If you only race tris, then I don't see any problem doing all your training on the bike that you race on. Besides, I'd rather spend the extra cash travelling to more races than on a second bike. The second bike that I bought was for my wife so she could come along with on some rides :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every bicyclist should have two bicycles, if they can. Do you do group rides witha roadie group? Your new P3 won't work out so well sitting up drafting in a pace line. It is made to be ridden solo on the aerobars. Also, when one goes to the shop you'll still have the lother to ride, or if you come home from work and have a flat, just ride the other and fix the flat when you get home. I could keep finding reasons for two bicycles, but I honestly feel that if you have an agressively positioned tri bike you really should have a road bike to go with it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sweeny, I don't do group rides with a roadie group. I've never really sen the benefit - is there any physical advantage or is ait a mental thing?

I occasionally ride in a pace line, but what is wrong with sitting up riding along with hands on brake hoods/extensions? Does the bike not ride comfortably in this position, and is really only comforatble if down in aero position?? We have a rule in our squad that whenver in a pace line only the front person is allowed in aero bars, everyone else must be on brake hoods.

I forgot to mention that I have an old/cheap MTB that I use for riding to work. I use it also when I can't ride my other bike - it is fine for just keeping the legs turning over or for a bit of fun in the bush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
     The main benefit of riding with a roadie group is that you will get fast. Those people are fast, they ride every day, and they don't wait for anybody. Either get fast or ride home alone!

I first started riding with roadies on my QR Kilo, some of them complained that I wobbled to much and I was never able to get comfortable sitting up with my hands on the base bar. Remember, tri bikes have a steep seatpost and a short top tube, they are not designed to be ridden upright on the base bar for long periods. Anyway, after a year of this I bought a Cannondale with spinacis, and riding in the pace line felt so much better since I was now positioned like a roadie.

Right now you have a road bike so riding on the hoods is fine. That's what your bike was designed for. Keep it, used bikes don't sell for much anyway, and get a tri bike for races and riding with your tri friends. You'll have the best of both worlds. Like I said before, everyone should have at least two bicycles!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard that riding only in the tri position weakens the quad muscles. This would be a reason to train 1 to 2 days per week on a road bike. Any thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't do group rides with a roadie group. I've never really sen the benefit - is there any physical advantage or is ait a mental thing? "

There are two advantages of riding with roadies 1) is your bike handling skills will improve dramatically when you group ride. 2) if you get a good roadie group they will push you and your workouts will be much more intense than when you only train solo. For me at least, much of my bike training is with group riding with roadies. I'd personally find training solo on the bike way to boring, but not everyone is the same.

IMO, everybody should have a road bike first before getting a tri bike. It's too big a step for the triathlete with a runner or swimmer background to go from that $200. Wal-Mart mountain bike right to a tri bike. Tri bikes just don't handle as well as road bikes and handling skills should be learned first. However, if you only train solo with your only purpose being tri, you live in a flat area, then it's OK to have only a tri bike. But just don't ride anywhere near me.

Don't sell the road bike until you've rode the tri bike enough to determine that it really works for you. A tri bike is a good step up for many people but not all. My wife will be selling her P2K this spring because she's found after extensive testing that riding "big slam" on a road bike works just as well if not better for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please allow me to add my "ditto" to this thread.

I came from a running background, and like many new triathletes, began my tri career by training my bike like I had trained as a runner - mostly alone, with a good mix of distance, intervals, and hills. In my 3rd year I decided to join the local road team. What a rude awakening! Over the years I've heard plenty of triathletes argue that they know their body and know perfectly well how to train it on their own. Well, let me tell you that they are mistaken. You will NEVER push yourself alone to the performance levels that you will be required to achieve when training with roadies.

I will agree that each of us has different goals, and enjoy different aspects of training and racing. "Roadie" groups are not for everyone. Roadies tend to be intensely competitive and the training is very cut-throat. However, if your goal is to reach your riding potential, there is no better way.

One distinction I'd like to make is that the term "roadie" as I use it above does not refer to social riding groups that may go hard at times, but are mainly riding to enjoy each others' company, get some fresh air, and enjoy the scenery. These I refer to as "tourists". I don't mean that to be derogatory, you just need to know that there is a difference. Also, I think there's much to be gained by riding with "tourist" groups for recovery days and long rides.

As for comfort and handling when sitting up, such as when riding in a group, the road bike is far superior to steep geometry bikes. Since I do 90% of my riding with groups, I do a large percentage of my training on my road bike. I love riding my P3 so much that I will occasionally take it on group rides, but it is not very comfortable in that usage. The steep bike is meant to be ridden in the aero position. A real no-no in group riding.

So, my vote is to keep the road bike, get the tri bike, and mountain bike, and back-up road bike - how can you live with just 2? ;)

Happy trails,

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries forme with the training. I out ride most of the roadies around here (wihich is an indication of their weakness not my strength,.)

I hear what you are saying about getting a tri bike. Problem is for me I really hope it works out to be good for me as it is one awefully expensive experiment. Is there any way of geting a good idea if I am a good candidate for a Tri-Bike.

I thought the P3 would be a good choice as it seems to be able to be ridden equally well in a wide range of angles from 74 thorugh to 78+. So if being really steep doesn't work out for me I can just slide everything back?? Any thoughts on this (anybody).
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [cannondale kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you remember where you've heard this?

I thought the tri set-up emphasised the input of quads more??
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mind if I ask how you've got your P3 set-up in termsof angles position etc??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Problem is for me I really hope it works out to be good for me as it is one awefully expensive experiment"

I am not sure I understand your logic about getting a P3 if price is an issue. Have you considered getting a Dual instead? Buying an entry level tri bike would be easier on you and you could see how you like the steep geometry. You can always get a P3 later, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue is not in getting the P3 over another bike - it is in buying a bike specifically to be set up in a steeper position. Whether the bike is $1k or $3k does not really matter - it is that I may buy a bike and find out that I was faster on my road bike according to things I've read on this post, other posts on this board and on the John Cobb Slam stuff.

The difference for P3 price and Dual is not that great for me, I am only getting the frame as a friend is getting rid of his 9 sp Dura Ace group set that has only ridden 1000kms!

But it does llok like I can still ride shallow on the P3??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any way of geting a good idea if I am a good candidate for a Tri-Bike.

One indication if you are a good candidate is honestly assessing your strength on the bike leg. If your average speed is on the lower end of the average splits for the day then you probably will not benefit much from the potential aero advantage of steeper geometry (same for disc wheels). If on the other hand you are maintaining high average speed (somewhere around 21-23mph?) then going aero will probably be the easiest way to take you to "the next level". Either way I also think you'll enjoy and learn a lot and improve a lot from doing a local group ride once in a while (on your road bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know most on this forum won't agree with me but!!!! I have a trek 5200 and a P3. My brother has a raleigh 700 and a QR. We both prefer to ride the tri bikes. We think they are more comfortable . We live in the Missouri Ozarks (hilly). I did all my long rides on the P3. I only ride my 5200 when going with the roadies on a hard draftfest.
Quote Reply
Re: Training on steep/tri bike [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer Straight's question:

I have my P3 set up around 75-76 degrees. This was an intermediate step for me, allowing me to utilize my strength from years of road bike racing. I am moving to a more aggressive angle this winter, to prepare for next season.

In reply to denewone:

I don't disagree with you at all. My P3 is very comfortable when I'm riding alone or with only 1 or 2 other triathletes. I don't have any issues with riding hills on it. It is surprisingly comfortable for climbing. My point was that if you aren't going to be mostly in the aerobars, then you'll be more comfortable on the road bike. And since I do most of my riding in "hard roadie draftfests", most of my mileage is on my road bike. If I rode alone most of the time, I would probably put more miles on the Cervelo.

Happy trails,

Chris

Re: Training on steep/tri bike [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My P3 is very comfortable when I'm riding alone "

A tri bike is just as comfy as is a road bike on one condition - that you're always on the aero bars. Otherwise, they're not as comfortable. This type of riding also means that you should be alone. We don't want anyone on aero bars during a group ride. It's sheer stupidity but I've seen a few tri-geeks doing it. Ouite a number of us have aero bars on our road bikes during group rides, but our group has a rule that the only time you can ride on them is if you're in the front pulling or you've been dropped and are trying to catch up.

I've never found tri bikes as effecient on hills. They work fine on gentle rollers where you can stay on the aero bars but for the really steep stuff you want a road bike. But I've seen quite a large number of Cervelo owners riding at 74, so essentially they are on a road bike geometry.
Quote Reply