Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in the COLD to race in the HEAT
Quote | Reply
Not like the winter has ever been warm around NY, but this winter is certainly proving to be one of the coldest on record (might go a whole two weeks without reaching 32 degrees).

Anyhow, what might be good ways to train in the cold in order to prepare for races in warm and humid climates (FL, HI, Mexico, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Training in the COLD to race in the HEAT [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago the only woman qualifier for the US olympic marathon team (I'm sorry I can't remember her name) lived in Alaska. She did almost all her training on a treadmill in a room which she intentionally heated to simulate the conditions for the olympic trials.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are a few ways, i used to live in eugene oregon, and when i came down to race wildflower i got killled by the heat, took it out of me. You can sit in a sauna stationary and sweat it out. You can turn up the heat in your house and ride the trainer, or you can put on layers of clothes (sweat suit) and ride the trainer indoors. Be very careful about the sweat suit, drink plenty of liquids etc and stop if you feel dizzy. Out of the options i posted, the sauna is the least effective. I've done a lot of research on the bodies reaction to heat, and the body responds mch better to training in heat than sitting in it. Also, the higher your ability to operate near your V02 max the better your ability to cope with heat. IE the more fit you are the better off you will be.

I've heard that if you wear dark clothes your skin temp will be higher but your core temp will be lower, dont ask me how. Shave the hair off your body come race time.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Training in the COLD to race in the HEAT [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bearis, I think I would move if it was that cold. Your a stud (or crazy) for getting out in that weather. Anything below 40 and I stay in bed. Brrrr. My wife mentioned moving to the NW. I mentioned she could come visit me, I'm staying in the desert. hope it hits 40 for you soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry can' help you with the training - because I live in Singapore which being on the equator is hot and humid all year round - I spend my time trying to keep cool whilst I am training ...

May be stating the obvious, but what I would say is if you are travelling to a hot location to race - remember that you need to think about hydration well before the race as well as during it.

If you are not taking in plenty of fluid in the days leading up to the race you will be starting off dehydrated. Most people who visit me from colder climes (usually the UK) do not drink enough when they are here because they are not in the habit (hot and humid weather not usually a problem in the UK). They under estimate how much fluid they need just to keep hydrated and this is before they have started to exercise.

Anyway my 2c
Quote Reply