Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in colder climate and racing in the heat
Quote | Reply
For those of you in colder climes who race/have raced in the hotter parts of the world, what advice can you give me?

I live and train in London and have IM Nice coming up in a couple of months. My training has been in cold, damp wet British weather and it doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon.

I'm looking for advice on clothing, hydration, acclimatisation......

Should I be racing in a full sleeve light coloured top to reflect the sun and hold water or would it just keep me more insulated and a smarter plan to be to go as skimpy as I can? I've a long (full) sleeve white tri top on the way so keen to give this a go if the weather turns nice in London at any point in the next few months. I'm also planning on wearing a light coloured mesh "trucker" style hat to keep the sun off my head, allow airflow and to have a good way to keep ice on my head.

I'm planning on racing with tailwind as my primary source of nutrition as I found it annoying having to carry pockets and a bento full of chopped up clif bars. I'm currently training with this and it's going really well.

My gym has a sauna. Is there any benefit in me spending time in there every day to get used to heat? Due to work and family commitments, I'm only going to be able to get down there on the Thursday/Friday before the race (Sunday) so there won't be much opportunity to do any real acclimatisation.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in colder climate and racing in the heat [BattyMilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can be done. Make sure your nutrition and hydration are perfectly dialed in and stick to an execution plan that has been practiced to perfection. This is the number one advice for ANY long race.

Sauna protocol - dry sauna at about 170 - 180 degrees. Do a 7 day block of 30 min/day, right after a workout if possible, ending 1 week prior to race travel.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in colder climate and racing in the heat [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
It can be done. Make sure your nutrition and hydration are perfectly dialed in and stick to an execution plan that has been practiced to perfection. This is the number one advice for ANY long race.

Sauna protocol - dry sauna at about 170 - 180 degrees. Do a 7 day block of 30 min/day, right after a workout if possible, ending 1 week prior to race travel.

Best wishes,

The sauna thing seems to work for many, apart from do most of your running and even cycling with several layers or even thermals

Personally i have never been a fan of heat and always struggled making the transition (i.e. train in cold and race in heat), for others doing the above, it doesn't become much of an issue
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in colder climate and racing in the heat [BattyMilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turn up the thermostat in your house to 28 C during the day and 26 at night for a week. I'd be interested in what others think but I think heat acclimatization is as much about what the temp is all day long than just when you are exercising.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

Best wishes,

Thanks, David. Is there any additional benefit in doing a workout right after a sauna session too? Most of my training is built into my commute and my gym is at work so I'd be in the sauna before work after a workout or after work then looking at doing a ride/run straight after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be pretty waxed (and extremely sweaty) after the 30 min. I think the physiological benefits come after the exercise. Note that this is very stressful on the body which is why you do it for 7 days.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

Best wishes,

This. Or something very similar.

Don't over think it beyond that. Unless you are a 'hot weather person' going from London to race in Southern Europe will always be hard work and you can only hope to take the edge off.

(I've done London to Nice/Mallorca/Vichy/Switzerland to race IMs. )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides David's excellent advice, if you have bike rides that can be managed on the trainer without too much loss in quality, take that opportunity to get the heat up over 17-18' C. That temperature plus a fan will almost certainly overheat you and help prepare for the IM.

The whole process of acclimating to heat takes 10-14 days. I wrote an article on it some years ago, I wasn't aware of the sauna protocol at the time or I'd have included it. It's focused on bike racing, so some parts aren't really applicable to something as long as an IM.

http://jbvcoaching.com/documents/60VN16.pdf
http://jbvcoaching.com/documents/61VN16.1.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Training in colder climate and racing in the heat [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Turn up the thermostat in your house to 28 C during the day and 26 at night for a week. I'd be interested in what others think but I think heat acclimatization is as much about what the temp is all day long than just when you are exercising.

+1 on this (I think just existing in the heat and doing every day activities is immensely helpful) and the sauna stuff too

OP - I live in NYC and trained last year for Hawai'i 70.3, the only thing I could not really train for was the sun exposure and the effect that has on you, so I would recommend that you do cover your arms with white sleeves and keep them wet as much as possible during the run, maybe after taking two cups of water, spill the remainder of each cup on each arm

Search for Emilio's thread on how to put on arms sleeves quickly through transition, rolling them up beforehand. Myself, I put them on before the bike since they're tight enough to not have much wrinkles and the T1 is a long uphill run there. Nice, I think it usually wetsuit legal so you could have them on from the start but I am not sure you really need them on the bike for Nice, I did the race but very poorly so I'm not the one to ask... it is easy to put on in T2 using Emilio's method but definitely practice that (since while you're running out of T2 you are also holding on to belt, hat, glasses, etc).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have access to a sauna (or anything remotely like it) what would be the next best thing you could do?

I live in NYC where the weather will likely hover in the 40's-50's F in April; I am doing IMTX on April 28th which will likely be in the 80's and humid when I start the run.

My plan so far would be 1) turning up the temp in my pain cave to 75 degrees or higher (with fan) for biking. For the run - what about some treadmill sessions with some layers? Run outdoors with 3-4 layers in 50 degree weather?

Thanks

Strava
Quote Reply