Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in Erie, PA
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch!

I'm going to be in Erie, PA for work from mid-February until the end of March. I've been doing some sleuthing on Strava Heat Maps and it looks like Presque Isle State Park seems to be the go-to for running and cycling (is there any chance of riding outside in Erie during this time of year?). I have been struggling to find any pool beyond the Downtown YMCA that has public swimming availability before/after work. The David M. Hallman III Aquatics Center looks like an outstanding facility but it's not clear if it is open for public use.

Are any Slowtwitchers out there local or familiar with the area and able to chime in?

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Erie, PA [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up very close to there in Western New York.
We used to have a twice a year 20k time trial on Presque Isle so it's very good for flat TT work.

Once you get south of town and towards the NY line you can get into some better climbs with very little traffic. You'll have a good chance of seeing more Amish buggies than cars.
That time of year you may have a few days of riding outside, or you could get buried in snow. There will be salt all over the roads so you'll want to make sure you wash your bike good after rides.

Quote | Reply
Yup Presque Isle is great, there is a road loop for cycling, and a paved multi-use path loop for running. Also running on the beach if you want.

There's a paved MUP from Frontier Park out to Penn State Behrend, maybe 6 miles? Sometimes I'd link that to Presque Isle (a couple miles on residential roads), so essentially a marathon distance if you start at Behrend. Another nice ride is the ~40 mile loop around Chautauqua Lake to the northeast.

Road/path conditions will be entirely dependent on the weather/accumulated snow. The temps on Presque Isle will be a solid 15 degrees colder than in the city, so be prepped for that. Sunglasses with orange lenses will help pretend it's not gray and dreary. :D
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Erie, PA [coachboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachboyd wrote:
I grew up very close to there in Western New York.
We used to have a twice a year 20k time trial on Presque Isle so it's very good for flat TT work.

Once you get south of town and towards the NY line you can get into some better climbs with very little traffic. You'll have a good chance of seeing more Amish buggies than cars.
That time of year you may have a few days of riding outside, or you could get buried in snow. There will be salt all over the roads so you'll want to make sure you wash your bike good after rides.

Thanks for input Boyd. Sounds like I better bring a trainer to Erie! Hopefully I can sneak out for an outside ride here or there if we get a string of good weather days.

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Erie, PA [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup Presque Isle is great, there is a road loop for cycling, and a paved multi-use path loop for running. Also running on the beach if you want.

There's a paved MUP from Frontier Park out to Penn State Behrend, maybe 6 miles? Sometimes I'd link that to Presque Isle (a couple miles on residential roads), so essentially a marathon distance if you start at Behrend. Another nice ride is the ~40 mile loop around Chautauqua Lake to the northeast.

Road/path conditions will be entirely dependent on the weather/accumulated snow. The temps on Presque Isle will be a solid 15 degrees colder than in the city, so be prepped for that. Sunglasses with orange lenses will help pretend it's not gray and dreary. :D

Thanks Avatar! I'm excited to check out Presque Isle - I've heard so many good things about it. Thanks for the heads up about the cooler weather out there. I've been burned (more like frozen!) by that a few times while living in a city on Lake Ontario. I'll be sure to check out that MUP for some runs too.

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Erie, PA [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Erie and go back a couple times a year. I do all my running and biking at Presque Isle. I doubt it will be clear of snow enough to ride outside though, although I hear it's a pretty mild winter for Erie standards. For swimming I go to Fitness U on West 15th street. I'll be honest, it's not exactly a high end gym, but it has showers, a 25 yd pool that always has lanes open and it's cheap, but it is definitely rough around the edges. For something a bit nicer, I have heard that the LECOM Wellness center is nice.
Quote Reply