Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training for Couer d'Alene 70.3 2020 (first 70.3 distance race)
Quote | Reply
I signed up for my first 70.3 distance race - Couer d'Alene 2020. If anyone who has done that race in the past has any suggestions on specific ways to prepare for that course, or nutrition suggestions or anything at all I would be happy to hear them.

A little background - I did some local short distance races back in 2006 and 2007 and was planning on doing a half-Ironman in 2008 and a full in 2009. A car accident left me with quite a bit of damage to my neck that put those plans on hold. Turning to breathe while swimming and leaning forward on a bike were not working out for me. 12 years and 2 kids later I finally started feeling like I might actually be capable of some serious training again.

I did a sprint triathlon this August and had a blast. I didn't follow a training plan or do any speed work, but felt pretty happy with my results and actually did a little better than I expected. 500m swim (11:13 - actual time in water was more like 10:15 - long jog back to transition area) - T1 2:43 - 20k bike 42:20 - T2 1:04 - 5k run 24:13.

My bike is a 2001 Cannondale CAAD3 frame with newer 105 and Ultegra components that I don't plan on replacing anytime soon. I am debating getting power meter pedals that I could eventually move to a newer bike and should probably get some clip-on aerobars too. Any thoughts of pedals (Favero Assioma DUOs?) or aerobars for that bike? I will be doing most of my bike training on a dumb trainer, so I feel like the power meter pedals would be good to have. I already speed and cadence sensors and a Garmin Fenix 5.

I am planning on following a Level 1 80/20 70.3 plan starting in February. Should I follow the base section of the 80/20 Olympic plan (almost identical to the 70.3 base) prior to starting the 70.3 plan? I'm not looking to qualify for the World Championships or go pro, but would like to finish knowing that I prepared well and that my hardwork paid off. I've been doing some generic swim workouts the last couple of weeks (speed intervals, pulling work) in hopes of greatly increasing my speed on the swim. I've never really done anything to train swimming or biking other than doing a set amount a time at a moderate pace. That will change when I'm actually following a plan.

Edit: I live in small town with no Masters Swimming groups or I would definitely consider that as a good option to improve my swimming.

TLDR: Signed up for 2020 CDA 70.3. Any suggestions on training, course, nutrition, whatever would be appreciated. Also, will be in the M 40-44 age group. Thanks!
Last edited by: Ben.SBR: Sep 27, 19 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Training for Couer d'Alene 70.3 2020 (first 70.3 distance race) [Ben.SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help with the training aspect of it but I can tell you that CdA is a most beautiful course and you picked the right first 70.3 to do here! The swim is very, very nice and straight out, 2 turns and straight back, buoys on your left. Bike starts out flat-ish (18-ish miles) so save your energy there because the back part is where the hills hit, nothing too crazy but it certainly isn't flat. The run is very slightly rolling and can be exposed but otherwise a nice, easier run that most courses. Weather is dependent on our luck, it can be super hot but it can also be just plain beautiful, can also be windy but I feel like you could say those things about 90% of races. Just know there will be hills on the bike.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Training for Couer d'Alene 70.3 2020 (first 70.3 distance race) [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thanks for the feedback! The tips on the course and warning that the hills are on the back part are much appreciated!
Quote Reply