Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training for 12 hour time trial
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the Texas Time Trials 12-hour race at the end of September, and think it might be similar to Ironman bike training. I'll go further but not need to run afterwards.

I'm planning to do 3 race simulation days, progressing from 6 up to 8 hours on the bike where I practice actual equipment & nutrition. I'll prioritize pacing, getting lots of calories in, and staying aero during these. And, I'll make sure to prioritize recovery after -- I've had summers where I trained hard without a break and was sort of blown-up by fall.

I'm going to try to do the Aerolab thing to work on equipment and position.

What else should I be thinking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 12 hour time trial [jon.isom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont have any tips for that kind of distance, im just here to say "wow, thats a long bike race", good luck, stay aero. Daniel.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you got the bases covered.

The biggest thing, at least for me, hasn't been pacing, nutrition, fitness, etc. Putting out power for 12 hours has been the easy part. It's been handing all the little nagging things that are maybe barely noticeable after "only" 5-6 hours, but become a huge deal at ~10 hours when you're mentally worn down. What's a minor hot spot in your shoe at 6 hours can become unbearable a few hours later. Back tightness can become back spasms. Minor issues with your junk can become oozing saddle sores. Tightness in your neck from holding an aggressive TT position can turn into your neck just completely rebelling and refusing to hold your head up anymore.

You have it right using the same equipment. Spot on. Be a Fred and use your TT helmet and race wheels, etc, in training. Because a strap that's a little bit too tight for 12 hours becomes unbearable, and you have to stop and try to fix it when you're probably mentally unfit to deal with the complexities of helmet straps. The effort it takes to hold a line with a deep front wheel for 12 hours in a significant cross wind becomes an issue. On your 6-8 hour simulations take note of any little issues. Because they might become huge issues on race day. Then try to completely fix it by your next session.

If you're able to stay reasonably comfortable for 12 hours, then you're going to do well.
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 12 hour time trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you're able to stay reasonably comfortable for 12 hours, then you're going to do well.

This. And don't be tied to just one nutrition plan. Have multiple options and don't be afraid to use them if things turn.

Good luck!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, a TT based on a fixed time is nice because you can plan for it and you will know when it is done. On the other hand...no matter how fast or slow you're riding, it will not make you finish any sooner! I would go absolutely mad. Good luck to you sir, unfortunately I have nothing of substance to add.
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 12 hour time trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Very helpful responses!!! There were some things (shoe / sock comfort) and back tightness in my simulation ride that I'll work on.

I want to work out a way to have both aggressive and more relaxed aero positions so I can relax a little in tailwind sections or to take small breaks but I can still be as aero as possible for headwinds or when I'm capable of just getting after it.

Multiple nutrition plans is a great idea. I did really well yesterday on all-liquid and almost 90g/hour of carbs, but I've done a lot of good rides on real food as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Searched so replying to this old thread. New to bike only racing and I have a 12 hour time trial in 4 weeks. I did an 8 and 9 hour ride so far.

My question is why do none of the training plans online have any sort of real taper? I am used to an Ironman taper of last big ride 3 or 4 weeks out, but these training plans I've found have mileage ramping up to 380 miles a week till the week before? Does this make sense? I'm at 300 plus miles per week now and I thought the body needs recovery before a big race but apparently cyclists don't taper till race week!? Appreciate any last 4 week suggestions, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 12 hour time trial [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done 3 12 hour time trials (255, 255, 262 miles). Some random tips/suggestions that work for me:
Velcro an extra layer of foam onto your arm rest pads, arms can get very sore if the roads are rough, plus it softens your position slightly.
Have a plan on how you will obtain your nutrition during the race.
I like to have a brief sit up every 30 mins or so (when I take nutrition) resets you mentally and breaks the time up. Ideally make it a turn when you slow up anyway.
Worth having some things you may really start to crave; it’ll mess with your head if you can’t get them (mine are salted peanuts and lukewarm black coffee).
Get a Dash saddle. My first was on an adamo and it tore my backside to pieces. For 2-3 days pre race keep applying chamois cream to your pad and leave it overnight, then repeat. It’ll soak deeply in.
Hours 5-8 are the worst. So many hours done but so far to go. I find that after 8 hours things stabilise, rather than get worse and you’re on the home straight.
I’ve never done rides over 6 hours, I just rely on Ironman fitness and don’t taper. These are ‘B’ races for me.
I really enjoy them. The crews are super supportive to all riders, it’s a great feeling when you see ridiculous mileage clocking up on the Garmin.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply