Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training advise
Quote | Reply
Hello ST'ers,

I'm looking for some advice as I enter what I perceive to be the critical part of my training for this season.

Context: A race is early September, B race is early august. Trying to AG qualify at olympic distance.

Background: 36y old, background in team sports, not athletics, but pick up endurance quite well, not very good sprinter, AOS. 6ft, 83kg, could probably lose 3-4kg of fat but generally pretty muscular frame (irony is I have the upper body of a sprint swimmer, but can't move in water for toffee)

My query is this, with my current set up, how would you structure and focus your training for the next 10 weeks to optimise for a flat olympic distance race. I could balance my hours across all three, or I could really focus on a couple.

My clear strength is the bike (big thighs) and I have no problem holding 350w for 20mins - have never done a full hour but would guess 320w or so at the moment (both readings on a Watt bike). Got a Shiv, well fitted and confident I'm right at the pointy end of the pack here.

Run is next - never taken running that seriously (too many weights as a teen) but as weight comes down I'm ok. Am hitting 4.15 for long run splits (25km) at the moment and should be good for a high 38 10km standalone.

Swim is my weakness. Probably OK for 25 mins in a 90m pool with wetsuit at the moment. Currently having technique lessons in a video tank, focusing on early catch.

I can get to 7-8 session per week normally, but have a 2 week vacation coming up where I can train for 3hrs per day. Good access to pool, bike and warm sea to swim in.

I am following a coached plan, but this evenly covers all three aspects, and I'm wondering if I could benefit more by putting in a massive run or swim block. Given my situation, I'm curious to know what others would be doing with the next 10 weeks of training (and the vacation block if different).

Many thanks.
Quote Reply