Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift?
Quote | Reply
With the advancements with each training platform, it'd be great to see a 2018 review/comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift, with an eye toward using one as your primary solution for training, pursuing and measuring improvements, preparing for races...and fun!

Thank you for sharing your review and comparisons if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say they all have quite different purposes. You're not comparing like with like. I suspect many people use all 3.

Trainerroad = A library of training plans/workouts and software to run workouts

Zwift = A place to train and/or race with some training plans/workouts also included along with software to run workouts.

Training Peaks = Analysis software with plans etc
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the previous poster said, you're comparing two different types of apples to a cookbook.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Like the previous poster said, you're comparing two different types of apples to a cookbook.

Understood, so if you were to look at this with an eye toward using one as your primary solution for training, pursuing and measuring improvements, and preparing for races, which would it be and why?

(The fun quotient is subjective, so I'll put that aside.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wanted to prepare a meal, I'd use a cookbook.

(trainingpeaks)
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

(trainingpeaks)

But you'd have no kitchenware ;D

TP is a platform for coaching, documenting, and overall analysis of progress. You are on your own to actually conduct the trainings prescribed, outdoors, on a dumb trainer, or on a smart trained controlled by other software.
TR is a platform for indoors trainer control with training plans embedded. You are on your own to decide the plans that you want to follow, and how they suit your objectives and measure your performance. It will only take care of the cycling part of the training.
Zwif is a platform for smart trainer control with a cartoon-based world and direct interaction with other users (races, group rides, etc). It also has ability for trainer control and training plans embedded. A little bit of everything but highlighting the entertainment part while using a smart trainer. Also focusing on cycling (mostly).

So while there is some overlapping (particularly between TR and Zwift) TP is not a solution on its own if your plan involves a significant part using smart trainers. If it does, TR is more comprehensive in the structured training but it is no fun: just watch the bars and push to finish the prescribed intervals. Zwift is more fun if you are into the gamification aspects and the immersive experience. As a rule of thumb, you need Zwift or TR only if your training involves serious time using smart trainers. It is also important to consider if you already have a coach, which could make TR less valuable. My two cents came out too long...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a new platform currently used and developed by Bishop Racing out of Chicago called "Everest Platform". It's an unbelievable tool. It is being used by a few coaches while the final features are being finished up. I think you will see it in the market fairly soon.

I know Bill Bishop and have seen the system. It will have a huge impact on training and coaching.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [iker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iker2 wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

(trainingpeaks)

But you'd have no kitchenware ;D

TP is a platform for coaching, documenting, and overall analysis of progress. You are on your own to actually conduct the trainings prescribed, outdoors, on a dumb trainer, or on a smart trained controlled by other software.
TR is a platform for indoors trainer control with training plans embedded. You are on your own to decide the plans that you want to follow, and how they suit your objectives and measure your performance. It will only take care of the cycling part of the training.
Zwif is a platform for smart trainer control with a cartoon-based world and direct interaction with other users (races, group rides, etc). It also has ability for trainer control and training plans embedded. A little bit of everything but highlighting the entertainment part while using a smart trainer. Also focusing on cycling (mostly).

So while there is some overlapping (particularly between TR and Zwift) TP is not a solution on its own if your plan involves a significant part using smart trainers. If it does, TR is more comprehensive in the structured training but it is no fun: just watch the bars and push to finish the prescribed intervals. Zwift is more fun if you are into the gamification aspects and the immersive experience. As a rule of thumb, you need Zwift or TR only if your training involves serious time using smart trainers. It is also important to consider if you already have a coach, which could make TR less valuable. My two cents came out too long...

That's a good comparison note, thank you. Length is fine, there is a lot to say. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have a coach or don't write your own workouts, IMO, you may want 2 of the programs: TrainingPeaks and zwift or TR.

TP for tracking workouts, training load, overall plan, etc

TR/Zwift for the specific workouts/plans, races (zwift only), social aspect (zwift), etc.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, only caveat to that is that TrainerRoad now has an analytics function and also pulls in all of your outside ride data. So if you wanted just one platform, TrainerRoad could do it (for cycling only though).
Quote Reply
Re: Training Software Experts: Can you post a 2018 Review / Comparison of Trainerroad Vs Training Peaks Vs Zwift? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
If you don't have a coach or don't write your own workouts, IMO, you may want 2 of the programs: TrainingPeaks and zwift or TR.

TP for tracking workouts, training load, overall plan, etc

TR/Zwift for the specific workouts/plans, races (zwift only), social aspect (zwift), etc.

Hey there!

i just thought I'd chime in and let you know that, after the latest update to TrainerRoad, we are now able to track workouts (indoor and outdoor), manage your training load, and track your improvement with Personal Records :)

We are also hard at work releasing a Calendar feature that will allow you to modify your Training Plans and set-up your season to peak for your A races. If anyone would like early access to this feature when it's ready, be sure to join our Facebook Beta Testers group to get all the latest updates.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply