Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks Training Plans
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a really good Training Peaks compatible training plan that has worked well for them at Ironman distance? Or is TrainerRoad a better option as a full Ironman plan?

I’ve got 8 months to prep but want to avoid risk of injury and wonder if I’d be better to maintain my base fitness for now opting for a more compressed 23 week plan leading up to the race?
Last edited by: sportadz: Aug 18, 20 2:52
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Training Plans [sportadz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not done the full Ironman distance plan, but I had great success with the 80/20 70.3 plan. If I were to do a full Ironman again, I would absolutely use their plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Training Plans [Dtblack101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also would recommend the 80/20 plans...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80/20 plans seemed quite basic and boring to me. I like Mike Ricci's race specific plans
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Training Plans [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I was considering the 80/20 but will also look at Mike Ricci’s plan now as well. His plan is 21 weeks and I think the 80/20 I found was 23 weeks. Unless you guys think differently I’ll probably just maintain/slowly build fitness and technical ability until 23 weeks out and then take on one of the aforementioned plans? I’m also looking at using TrainerRoad for indoor bike training through the winter - is that a good plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Training Plans [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
80/20 plans seemed quite basic and boring to me. I like Mike Ricci's race specific plans

Thank you! If you have any questions, please let me know.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportadz wrote:
Thanks guys, I was considering the 80/20 but will also look at Mike Ricci’s plan now as well. His plan is 21 weeks and I think the 80/20 I found was 23 weeks. Unless you guys think differently I’ll probably just maintain/slowly build fitness and technical ability until 23 weeks out and then take on one of the aforementioned plans? I’m also looking at using TrainerRoad for indoor bike training through the winter - is that a good plan?

There are a lot of options here but working on a weakness before beginning training for your specific event would be my recommendation. Always work on the weakness. Race the strength.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. I think 20-28 weeks is the sweetspot for race specific plans. No need to go longer out then that as pretty much all triathletes can do the same "general prep" type work up to a few months out. Establish a solid foundation that you can build on for your race specific plan.

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
Only posting this here in case someone comes back to it looking for a coach and / or plan.

I have recently utilized plans by: Marco Nicoli, CSCS. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/coach/coach-marco#about[/url]

VERY good plans and very responsive coach.

So anyone looking ........ at minimum take a quick peek!

Happy training all!
Quote Reply