Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks Threshold Notifications
Quote | Reply
Just how accurate are these notifications, and do anyone use 'em when they send 'em?

I started out the year outside doing a ride that I use as an hour test: 19.3 miles and around 1000' of gain. Took me all last year to break the hour barrier last year... and then like 3rd time this year I kill it: 58:57. Then got a new Threshold Notification after that ride and used that: 234W.

Hadn't done any testing since that point in early May, but had done a ton of volume and an obscene amount of elevation (well... for me anyhow). And hammered out a climbing day when apparently stars aligned 'cause it was one of those days that I completely outdid what I thought I could do: 31.3mi in 1:47 with 2600' of gain. Avg. Power was 212W, NP 238W. Got a Threshold Notification of 252W. Seemed high to me, so didn't change it.

Long story longer, just getting back to it after a week off and feeling great, so figured I'd try that run again tonight, and really knocked it out (again... for me): 56:52. Did an hour of easy cooldown after, but got a new Threshold Notification of 238.

Sooo... do I even bother paying any attention to any of these notifications? My thought is No, but then what: Forget about testing outside? Forget testing all together (volume and elevation seems to be working for me so far, but...)?

Open to any opinions. Thanks - appreciate it!
- Jeff
Last edited by: jkstevens: Aug 1, 20 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Traing Peaks Threshold Notifications [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TP will suggest a threshold increase if your peak NP for 60 Min OR 95% of your Average Peak 20 Min Power (whichever is higher) is greater than the currently set threshold. Therefore, it will all depend on whether or not one of these specifications is met in your ride. It’s not some estimation, but rather a calculated value based on peak 60 min NP or 95% of peak 20 min Average Power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use your threshold numbers for workouts? If you just hammer rides and go off feel, and don't use the threshold numbers TP gives you, there's no point in saving them. If you do use them, stay with a consistent source and adjust if the training sessions that come from those numbers are too hard/easy.

Also, if you can do 212 for almost 2 hrs, you should be able to do 252 for 1 hr (which is threshold power).
Quote Reply
Re: Traing Peaks Threshold Notifications [stevesimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the math and that it's simply relaying data, but the results don't seem to jive for me.

Just doesn't seem to be consistent, really: would seem like tonight's ride was *much* more difficult than the one in May, and while the climbing day from earlier this month was definitely even more difficult, would seem to me that I wouldn't have such a wide discrepancy of a calculated FTP from those rides?

But what the hell do I know? (Seriously... seems like not a lotlately...)
Quote Reply
Re: Traing Peaks Threshold Notifications [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do use them to gauge where I'm at and to try not to kill myself on certain rides, but I definitely don't use them as well as I could nor should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have multiple rides showing an increase in threshold power, so you should update it.

I would just do an FTP test, rather than rely on data from rides in which you incidentally set a 20 minute pr. That said if you really went as hard as you could for that second loop for 50+ minutes, maybe just use your power from that loop the second time.

The reason you should keep your FTP updated in training peaks is not necessarily to dictate training, it's to track TSS and all that. Your training load numbers will all be inflated if you have an artificially low threshold set in the system.
Quote Reply
Re: Traing Peaks Threshold Notifications [stevesimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevesimpson wrote:
TP will suggest a threshold increase if your peak NP for 60 Min OR 95% of your Average Peak 20 Min Power (whichever is higher) is greater than the currently set threshold. Therefore, it will all depend on whether or not one of these specifications is met in your ride. It’s not some estimation, but rather a calculated value based on peak 60 min NP or 95% of peak 20 min Average Power.

Is this actually correct? I think I have my FTP set for 270 manually and then it popped up an update for 262 or something the other day. So I think it might not take into account manual values.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Threshold Notifications [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I think I'm starting to see what's going on, and that the high value got sent because I'd tripped my 20 minute peak, as someone else had mentioned.

I saw this as on Wednesday I did my hill route, and it TP then kicked out a new Threshold Notification of 255, as it also notified me that I'd set my all-time 10- and 20-minute power peaks.

So Tuesday I get a notification of 238W, Wednesday is 255W. Wednesday's is clearly a 20 minute value, while Tuesday's is a 60 minute, but on Tuesday I ended up going back out for another hour as a cool-down (and just wanted to ride), albeit after about a 2 minute pit-stop.

From what I've read, the 20 minute tests aren't very realistic. Are we still going with that or has something changed this week? ...

However, the 238 value from Tuesday probably isn't very realistic either if I still rode for another hour, even with a short break, correct?

Clearly, I need to complete a true test, but u til then, this other stuff interests me in the mean-time: What should I do with it? Ignore it all? Set my threshold somewhere in the middle, and if so, where? Kick back and have a beer because I'm on vacation and who really gives two shits?

Ok, I'm settling on the last one (for now) until someone smarter than I jumps in...

Thanks for any insight, guys - I know I'm kinda all over the place, but trying to learn...
- Jeff
Quote Reply