Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks NGP Algoritm
Quote | Reply
I know...take it to the Cry like a little Beatch thread....don't wanna.

Is it too much to ask that it be a little more precise? Same exact run, two days in row---within 0.05 miles and 5 seconds of each other. Yesterday, the NGP adjustment was -17s / mile. Today, +5s / mile. I used the adjusted elevation profile since the altimeter on my 920 sucks.

At the moment it seems to be a random number generator...at best.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks NGP Algoritm [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although the Steve McGregor's NGP algorithm is proprietary, my understanding is that it is quite similar to normalized power.

As such, I wouldn't expect identical results from two different runs, even over the same course, unless the variations in speed were also identical.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks NGP Algoritm [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Although the Steve McGregor's NGP algorithm is proprietary, my understanding is that it is quite similar to normalized power.

As such, I wouldn't expect identical results from two different runs, even over the same course, unless the variations in speed were also identical.

Okay, maybe that's it. Yesterday was "less steady", even though it was identical at the averages level.

Do we know that's the algorithm they are using? Late last year there was a complaint that the TP NGP calculation was conservative for positive/negative grade. Ie, it would give back and take away the same amount of pace for traveling up/down the same hill, such as hill repeats...essentially treating a hill repeat as level ground.

I wouldn't think McGreggor's algorithm would do that.

I've been looking at the release notes, and the original trouble report and there's no indication THAT has been rectified.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks NGP Algoritm [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only people who apparently know all of the details of the algorithm are Steve and the folks at TrainingPeaks. (There is also no guarantee that they implemented it exactly as he designed it.)

My understanding, however, is that it follows the same general smoothing/weighting principles as normalized power, but with a few more running-specific little wrinkles.

ETA: FWIW, I have found that rolling NGP and Stryd-reported running power tend to parallel each rather well, to the point that you could argue that the former is really just as good as the latter, at least for post hoc analyses.

That McGregor fellow is a smart cookie...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 21, 18 12:33
Quote Reply