Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Training Log Strava Sync Launch
Quote | Reply
Hey all you awesome Slowtwitch Training Log users!

I've been working long and hard on this, trying to make sure that our integration is easy and seamless. And so finally, here we are: http://training.slowtwitch.com/ now supports limited connection and synchronization from Strava!

Hold the applause. It's very new. Even though I've worked through a pretty good pile of use cases and tested it a bunch, there could still be glitches and mess-ups. The activity type mappings could be wrong, and there could be some additional things that we need to work out as we go along.

Here's how it works so far:

1) you can connect your ST Log user to your Strava one by going to the "Welcome, MyUserName" button and selecting "Strava Integration". No more page not found :-).

2) click "Connect" and follow the prompts to go through the Strava auth process. Our app is named very predictable. Don't worry about the access: we don't post anything to your Strava. Only read.

3) When you're connected you'll see your profile pic, name, and Strava ID on that page. Now click "Synchronize" and it will check your activities in the last week and add missing ones to the ST Log. Voila!

Before you start complaining about the week timeframe, please understand that this is a very soft launch. We'll refine it, update it, add a movable window or an "all" option, and so forth, but we have to be careful initially to not blow our Strava rate limits out of the water.

If you have anything unexpected, please holler back at me here and I'll do my best to fix it timely.

Thanks, and have fun!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And congrats, hokietris, for being the very first adopter. :^)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just synced up and it looks 'A-Okay' to me. Only comment that I have would be that 'Private' workouts are posting to the log. I really don't care, but someone may freak out.

Thanks for all of your effort on this, I'm sure it was a TON of work.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [gbharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbharris wrote:
Just synced up and it looks 'A-Okay' to me. Only comment that I have would be that 'Private' workouts are posting to the log. I really don't care, but someone may freak out.

Thanks for all of your effort on this, I'm sure it was a TON of work.

OH YEAH. I have a todo to not sync workouts that are marked private. I'll fix that by this evening.

Keep in mind, folks, that if you don't like anything that this does, you can go into the workouts and delete them from our log, too.

Thank you,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [gbharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, Private activites are not pulled through the sync anymore. PHEW. :^)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks. Although it seems to have a couple duplicate workouts in there for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the top cycling entry is from kdennison who has done 920 miles today. He has also swum 920 metres. Coincidence?

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Hey all you awesome Slowtwitch Training Log users!

I've been working long and hard on this, trying to make sure that our integration is easy and seamless. And so finally, here we are: http://training.slowtwitch.com/ now supports limited connection and synchronization from Strava!

Hold the applause. It's very new. Even though I've worked through a pretty good pile of use cases and tested it a bunch, there could still be glitches and mess-ups. The activity type mappings could be wrong, and there could be some additional things that we need to work out as we go along.

Here's how it works so far:

1) you can connect your ST Log user to your Strava one by going to the "Welcome, MyUserName" button and selecting "Strava Integration". No more page not found :-).

2) click "Connect" and follow the prompts to go through the Strava auth process. Our app is named very predictable. Don't worry about the access: we don't post anything to your Strava. Only read.

3) When you're connected you'll see your profile pic, name, and Strava ID on that page. Now click "Synchronize" and it will check your activities in the last week and add missing ones to the ST Log. Voila!

Before you start complaining about the week timeframe, please understand that this is a very soft launch. We'll refine it, update it, add a movable window or an "all" option, and so forth, but we have to be careful initially to not blow our Strava rate limits out of the water.

If you have anything unexpected, please holler back at me here and I'll do my best to fix it timely.

Thanks, and have fun!

-Eric

Thanks for doing this.

The distance field doesn't seem to be populated for me. Maybe because I'm metric (km) instead of miles?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The distance field didn’t populate for me either when I looked at the summarized entries. When I went to edit the individual entries they had some crazy high numbers in the distance field...had to edit each entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool. I'll check it out later tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was easy enough to set up and synchronized the 6 bikes I did in the past week. However, mine also had a totally wacky distance field. 5 of the 6 were Zwift so no biggie, time is more important but the one outdoor ride was screwy too. Thanks for work on this, will make this training log something I might actually use now more consistently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is up with distance. I see correct distance in leaderboard. No distance in my training log. Odd numbers in the sync’d entry. No odd as in 1,3,5.... but odd as in WTF?

Otherwise, awesome. So, no all my stuff will be logged automatically in ST log? Sweet.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Thanks for doing this.

The distance field doesn't seem to be populated for me. Maybe because I'm metric (km) instead of miles?

So Strava and the ST log both use meters as their standard distance unit. Everything else is a multiple of meters and gets calculated. I think I'm messing up the distance type setting when I'm importing, and then when you select it, it goes wacky. (In other words, even if I just plain set meters, the switch logic would fix it, but since it isn't even set to meters I don't think, it's messing up a lot).

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
And congrats, hokietris, for being the very first adopter. :^)

-Eric

That's crazy. I only signed up for ST yesterday (after reading for quite some time now) in order to join the Guppy Challenge and I really didn't want to have to maintain my swim logs in two places so I sought out the Strava integration and phew! it worked. Had no idea that it hadn't been around for a while. Good UI and system design, it seems!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just synchronized my account and noticed some issues.

When I edit a workout, the "Distance" is wrong. Today's swim was recorded as 1649 miles (when I did 1800 yards). When I tried to change the unit to Yards, the distance became NaN (divide by zero, maybe?). Sunday's run was recorded as 20940 miles when I only did 13 miles. The Average Speed and Pace values were correct, though.

The Exercise List does not fill in the Distance column unless I edit the workout. The Time column appears correct.

Thanks for the work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not see strava integration as an option

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

After you click on http://training.slowtwitch.com/, if you look in the upper right where it says "Welcome, h20fun", click on that and it should drop down a menu with four options: Account / Settings, List All Activities, Strava Integration, Slowtwitch Forums. If that doesn't show up for you, you may have some funky bug.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Something is up with distance. I see correct distance in leaderboard. No distance in my training log. Odd numbers in the sync’d entry. No odd as in 1,3,5.... but odd as in WTF?

I see the same thing as SLO. If I open the workout, it shows a distance, which appears correct, but the units are listed as "miles" instead of yards. However, as SLO notes...the leaderboard is showing the correct number of yards.

Unfortunately, it does not give me credit for swimming 7500 MILES last week.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 11, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [Blee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blee wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

After you click on http://training.slowtwitch.com/, if you look in the upper right where it says "Welcome, h20fun", click on that and it should drop down a menu with four options: Account / Settings, List All Activities, Strava Integration, Slowtwitch Forums. If that doesn't show up for you, you may have some funky bug.

Opps, I missed one small detail, thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, folks, I think to fix the distance thing we probably should remove all the synced activities and start fresh. Are you all OK if I do that?

If not, I'll have to find a way around this (because once you start fiddling with the distance, the original one from Strava is trashed.

Another option would be a refresh distances only option but it would take some coding. The simplest is fix the bug and resync everything.

Thoughts on this, going forward?

Thanks everybody for giving it a try!!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't hurt my feelings. As I like to say at work....the only time worse than now is later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sync'd as well. Its only seems to have loaded those activities from the last 7 days, same for everyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
OK, folks, I think to fix the distance thing we probably should remove all the synced activities and start fresh. Are you all OK if I do that?

If not, I'll have to find a way around this (because once you start fiddling with the distance, the original one from Strava is trashed.

Another option would be a refresh distances only option but it would take some coding. The simplest is fix the bug and resync everything.

Thoughts on this, going forward?

Thanks everybody for giving it a try!!

-Eric

Fine with me. As a software developer, "reboot" is always a viable option :-).
Quote Reply
Re: Training Log Strava Sync Launch [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testament TN wrote:
I just sync'd as well. Its only seems to have loaded those activities from the last 7 days, same for everyone else?

Yeah. In the test phase I kept it to a week until we saw a) any problems and b) how the strava load limiter would hit us.

I'll widen it out a little as we go along, perhaps to include everything on Strava at some point, why not? :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm planning on removing everything in a couple of hours. This won't affect you except in the following ways:

1) you'll need to re-sync. kind of obvious
2) you will lose anything you put on top of what you got from Strava. e.g. you'll need to tie workouts to equipment again etc.

I'll be adding the correct selection of distance type, and aerobic point calculations.

Any other issues we are seeing so far?

We're at 81 adopters who have loaded 426 workouts from Strava so far. Very nice!

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply

Prev Next