Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Advice/Discussion
Quote | Reply
I am new to triathlons and come from a running background over the better part of the last decade and was a swimmer as youth for the better part of the decade before that. My plan is targeting an A race at Chattanooga 70.3 next year as well as another A 70.3 in fall 2020 with some "B/C" Olympics and sprints between just because I enjoy racing a lot. I am also going to be doing some road races this fall and am currently in a base phase of just running (~40 MPW building up to 60-70 MPW). I have done a lot of readings on running training and have read the triathlon training bible and am looking to design my own plan for the year. Overall I want to break up the year into various phases and then before each phase actually write the workouts I will complete during that phase based on results from previous phases.

If I were training for just running I would apply a lot of Lydiards training ideas, ~12 week base phase of increasing mileage, 6 weeks of hill training where the hill repeats are focused on strength and flexibility (a lot of these hill reps involve bounding or springing up the hill as well as cruising down the hill followed by 50-100m wind sprints), a 4 week anaerobic phase of v02 max repetition focus, and then a sharpening phase of short high intensity work followed by the peaking phase of 2 weeks of reduced volume but same intensity on the sharpening phase. For the most part volume is reduced as intensity increases.

My question for ST is can I incorporate these training ideas to the bike as well and is there any problem with following this general guide for running while going off different phases for cycling and swimming or should I try to keep the phases the same across each discipline? I know the swim is a different beast from my own experiences because I wouldn't be getting a whole tone of benefit from doing 12 weeks of just easy swimming and so as I approach training the swim is going to be more so independent from the other two as its low impact and upper body focused so doubling on a swim is less of a concern and I know I can jump into repetition based workouts earlier.

On the bike for the aerobic base in the first phase I think the time put into it would have to be insane to get the equivalent benefit but as I have zero biking experience I wasn't sure what sort of early season phases are needed before jumping into the meat of doing v02 max intervals and hard workouts. I was going to get a power meter and trainerroad and do a lot of work on the trainer (2-3 indoor rides a week) with long weekend rides outdoors when I start the plan for the Chattanooga. Should I just follow trainerroad plans for this year of training or are there any other resources you'd suggest I read up on for cycling training?

Additionally over the next 3 months as I am running focused for road races I was going to begin doing 2-4 swims a week as well to begin getting used to that as well but is there any benefit from getting in a few easy bike rides as well over the fall?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Advice/Discussion [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are completely new to swimming/biking, you are going to need to put in a lot of base miles. That would be my key focus for the rest of 2019. Bonus points if you can get a coach or masters swim instructor to evaluate your stroke and work on efficiency in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Advice/Discussion [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling I am totally new to. I used to be a competitive swimmer and just am not in that kind of shape anymore but I still have efficient form (I have others take videos of myself in the pool in the sessions I have done)

For cycling should I just be riding in zone 1 a ton over the next 4-6 months before doing anything hard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I jumped into tri training late last year with basically zero experience in any of the disciplines. I'm fairly athletic so I caught on quick. I started in December with my A race being Traverse City 70.3 at the end of August. I started on TrainerRoad right away with sweet spot base training I and II low volume while slowly building my running and swimming base. That was approximately a 3 month block. Next I started on half distance tri on TrainerRoad. I followed the running workouts but put together my own swims. It's been roughly 7-9 hours a week with 3 sessions of each. I've survived it all pretty well and I'm targeting a 5:30 for my half. I raced a sprint last weekend for some transition practice and finished in 1:13 which I was quite happy with. My FTP has gone from 180 to 260. The program works quite well and you'll be in much better shape them me since I basically had to learn to run without getting hurt.

There's definitely benefit to getting on the bike sooner rather than later. Keep it easy and focus on your handling skills. Not sure how comfortable you are on a bike, but it was a bit shocking how out of control most people looked at the sprint last week. I picked up a power meter and bike computer last month and it's surely a game changer for riding outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've been running a lot, cycling fitness will come fast. I know it did for me after a decade of averaging 80ish miles a week. Within maybe 6 months of starting I had an FTP > 300 (5'9" 155lb). I didn't sit there and just do Z1 and Z2 on the bike. I already had base fitness because running translates so well. That's not to say I did none, but I did a lot of 2x20s and built bike fitness quickly. Unfortunately learning how to handle a bike well does take time.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Advice/Discussion [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
I started on TrainerRoad right away with sweet spot base training I and II low volume while slowly building my running and swimming base. That was approximately a 3 month block. Next I started on half distance tri on TrainerRoad. My FTP has gone from 180 to 260.

There's definitely benefit to getting on the bike sooner rather than later. Keep it easy and focus on your handling skills. Not sure how comfortable you are on a bike, but it was a bit shocking how out of control most people looked at the sprint last week. I picked up a power meter and bike computer last month and it's surely a game changer for riding outside.

Bike handling is something I am fairly comfortable with and am not too concerned about that part of it. I did a 70.3 but I was only putting in 25 MPW running, and never really got in long rides (longest was ~34-36) and probably averaged far less than 100 MPW where i would do one interval session on the trainer based on perceived effort so far from ideal.

I do appreciate the feedback because if I can get my FTP up to close to 300 that would be ideal for my race goals
Quote Reply
Re: Training Advice/Discussion [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
If you've been running a lot, cycling fitness will come fast. I know it did for me after a decade of averaging 80ish miles a week. Within maybe 6 months of starting I had an FTP > 300 (5'9" 155lb). I didn't sit there and just do Z1 and Z2 on the bike. I already had base fitness because running translates so well. That's not to say I did none, but I did a lot of 2x20s and built bike fitness quickly. Unfortunately learning how to handle a bike well does take time.

I havent been putting in that kind of mileage but more so hitting consistent 30-50 MPW over the past 8 years as a middle distance runner and am now increasing to try and hold 50-60 this fall.

Am 6'1" and 155 pounds so I am pretty thin. But good to know that running base can translate to going to bike intervals earlier. I probably will still do some easy rides for handling purposes and then use my trainer for the interval sessions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like TR would work well for you. I've actually dialed back the bike intensity because of how taxing running is for me as I build my mileage. So you'll likely get to 300ftp quicker than I could. I use Zwift too, whether it's running a TR workout at the same time or racing, it keep things interesting enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often did you find yourself biking? in terms of workouts and volume per week when you were in your 3 month base period and when you built up to 260 FTP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I averaged about 4 hours a week so roughly 80-100 miles. Generally two 60min workouts during the week and 90-180min on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
I averaged about 4 hours a week so roughly 80-100 miles. Generally two 60min workouts during the week and 90-180min on the weekend.

Perfect. This is exactly what I thought I had time for this year to work on cycling. Maybe an extra easy ride at some points when I can and I have nice weather to get outside and work on handling/nutrition intake/small things like adapting to aero position
Quote Reply