Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainingPeaks Trainingplan recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm building for two key races next year.
First is April 27, Challenge Taiwan, full distance (Goal is 9:50 or better in high temp, high humidity conditions)
(March 20 Ironman Taiwan 70.3, not "a" race)
Second is Kona

I'm m, 44, 180cm, 75kg, swimming background (52min), ok on the bike (5:00-5:10) and unpredictable on the run (3:35-3:55, open marathon PR is 3:10). My run has improved enormously in training without much to show for it in IM. PR is 9:59 at IM South Africa 2016. Have been finishing 10:02-10:05 consistently since then.

Self-guided, no coach, little athletic experience. Love to train, and can spend 15-23 hours on it. Done this for 6 years. no injuries, still love the process. I can train all-year round. Winter in Taipei do much of my training on wahoo kickr/zwift but can run outside and ride too when I suck it up and deal with the rain.

I've stagnated around the 10 hour mark and need to change things up. I was going to work with a coach who was working for her certification with Brent Sutton but that fell through. I would love to have a coach, but that is an investment that is hard for me to spend right now. The preliminary analysis from the coach was I'm the classic high-volume grey area guy and need more intensity (threshold and above FTP intervals)

Should I continue what I have been doing that has been quite successful, just work on adding in intensity and making the easy days easier?

Should I buy a plan, and if I should, what has worked well for others with my background?

I am thinking of going with the Joel Friel NEW- Ironman Build-Peak-Race Periods 18-20hrs/wk Power plan. (I have a power meter on bike), but I cannot find any reviews or insight on this plan, other than to know Friel is successful coach and authority in our sport.

Thanks for the sharing your thoughts and helping me out!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks Trainingplan recommendations [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider would be joining TrainerRoad and using their Full Ironman Advanced Plan. I used this for a full and liked it. The only training peaks plan I’ve used is Mike Ricci’s 70.3. I thought it was alright. The thing about the training peaks plan is its hard to get a real idea what they’re like and if they will play to your strengths/weaknesses/etc until you dropped $100+.

Have you thought about contacting a coach and doing a one time consultation to set up a custom training plan for you based of goals/previous results?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks Trainingplan recommendations [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren
I sent you a PM.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks Trainingplan recommendations [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking for an advanced training plan for Ironman Arizona 2019. Coach Ricci sold me a plan in 2008 without power to get my P.R. 11:40 at Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I was coached to almost the same time in 2012 on the new course which had more vertical. Most important is that it's power based.

Would love to find out how fast I can go on a flatter course, understanding that heat and wind (and unrealistic expectations) could totally ruin my day.

James S Proctor
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks Trainingplan recommendations [Tri4sub11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent you a DM

Tri4sub11 wrote:
I am looking for an advanced training plan for Ironman Arizona 2019. Coach Ricci sold me a plan in 2008 without power to get my P.R. 11:40 at Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I was coached to almost the same time in 2012 on the new course which had more vertical. Most important is that it's power based.

Would love to find out how fast I can go on a flatter course, understanding that heat and wind (and unrealistic expectations) could totally ruin my day.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply