Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainingPeaks - adding rest after swim interval
Quote | Reply
I'm just learning how to add structured workouts in TPs. I'm having a difficult time finding how to add a rest interval after an interval.

I found this https://help.trainingpeaks.com/...ured-Workout-Builder, but it doesn't address adding rest intervals.

Any help is appreciated.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks - adding rest after swim interval [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
I'm just learning how to add structured workouts in TPs. I'm having a difficult time finding how to add a rest interval after an interval.

I found this https://help.trainingpeaks.com/...ured-Workout-Builder, but it doesn't address adding rest intervals.

Any help is appreciated.

I could be mistaken but I am not sure you can create a structured workout for the swims. Unless something has recently changed. I suppose it could work for open water.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks - adding rest after swim interval [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it doesn't sync to Garmin Connect, but I am able to create a structured swim workout. Just can't figure out how to put the rests in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can't add a rest interval. Best way is to write it out.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks - adding rest after swim interval [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the TP swim workout builder has some shortcomings.

When I did use my watch for guidance, I did it with the Garmin Connect workout builder. I thought it was intuitive to program and functional in the water.

I thought it was interesting, but after a few weeks I went back to the paper in plastic bag workout. I only use my watch to record the workout. My biggest problem with the workout on watch only, is that I didn't know what was coming up unless I had the workout printed in front of me. If I printed it out there really wasn't a need to have it on the watch.

So unless it's something simple like 30X100 (or similar) I skip the swim workout builder. One thing about using the builder is that it does keep you on schedule once you start it.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jun 27, 22 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really tried to like the TP workout builder for swimming. But Garmin’s just works (if you have a Garmin device). I now build all my workouts in Garmin and do my workouts off my watch. Makes it darn near impossible to be lazy and cheat the workout.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree that the GC is better, especially if you have a Garmin watch (as I do). But I like to have the workouts in TPs so I can see the est. TSS and the total for the week.

I also use the ziplock bag if the workout has several different intervals. I've had the watch "die", "lock up" or whatever you want to call it when it goes to the triangle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured this out. You cannot use RPE, you have to use % of threshold and add in a rest interval as a recovery and put zero (0). This way once you upload it into Garmin, it recognizes it as a rest interval.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks - adding rest after swim interval [gte528r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I must be doing something incorrectly. This is how I have it set up. Is yours working after another rest? The rest inside the intervals works fine. It’s the rest between the intervals that’s not working for me. I have something like 6x(25m z5, rest 20s), rest 2min, 6x(25m z5, rest 20s). The 2min rest is not working for me.

Quote Reply