Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training/Racing Analytics: Hardware/Software Mix
Quote | Reply
Hello ST, long time listener, first time poster (in ~5 years)

I'm jumping back into triathlon after a ~5 year hiatus and, given the fly-by-night nature of how I used to approach the sport and the new life realities of having far less time to train, I'm looking to approach it in a much more planned/efficient manner.

I'm looking to put the pieces in place across all of my devices/software to aggregate all data being collected into a single place to be used for modelling and planning training (and racing). I've been reviewing platforms and integrations an have started to put the pieces in place, but I wanted to get feedback from the community to see what others are currently doing.

To start, here is my current mix of hardware:

Run
- Polar M430

Bike
- Computrainer hardware
- SRM PC7 (on road bike)
- Nothing (on TT bike)

Unfortunately, BB compatibility prevents me from swapping the SRM back-and-forth, which leaves a potential data gap. I intend to add an SRM to the TT bike, but it may be a few months yet. I also will likely be riding indoors 100% of the time for the next 4-5 months on the TT bike, which means I would currently just have Computrainer data. However, I could purchase a subscription to a platform that would allow for data export (TrainerRoad?) to bridge the gap until I get the second SRM. I definitely want power and HR data for all indoor rides.

Swim
- pace clock on the wall

MacBook Computer

Software
- TBD

I would prefer not to pay an ongoing subscription for logging software, and honestly dislike a lot of pieces of TrainingPeaks, so I'm heavily leaning towards Golden Cheetah from a software perspective.

All this said, here is the path I think I'll take:

Polar M430 can import into Golden Cheetah and has every metric (and more) than I'd ever want for running (time, distance, duration, HR) and also collects sleep data.

Once I have two SRMs, I can import data from them into Golden Cheetah and simply use the Computrainer as a trainer without any software (i.e via hand controller). For the time being, use something like TrainerRoad to collect data from trainer rides and import into Golden Cheetah.

Manually add swim data. I have no desire to wear any sort of watch in the pool (long time competitive swimmer) and am fine with simple time/distance inputs.

For those of you who are taking a very analytical approach to training/racing, what does your current hardware/software and data-flow set-up look like?
Last edited by: jsjs: Sep 30, 18 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing Analytics: Hardware/Software Mix [jsjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin 920xt for running and swimming. Additional for running Stryd.
Bike: race and tri bike both with Power2Max. Neo indoor. Software platform PerfPRo.
All data interfaced into TP. Garmin heartrate belt Tickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy that 2nd SRM then use Golden Cheetah for free. Liversedge has managed to copy all of the original ideas found in other software well enough that if you are short on cash, you can save money by learning the program's idiosyncrasies.
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing Analytics: Hardware/Software Mix [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Buy that 2nd SRM then use Golden Cheetah for free. Liversedge has managed to copy all of the original ideas found in other software well enough that if you are short on cash, you can save money by learning the program's idiosyncrasies.

Lets say money was not a factor, would this still be what you'd recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsjs wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Is this a serious question? You're asking the intellect behind WKO4 what he recommends for software? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a factor *at all*? I would hire a team of professional programmers to create software that fully and faithfully implemented all of my ideas.

Short of that, I guess that I would buy WKO4, not because it is necessarily a better or more full-featured program, but because of the knowledge and insight provided by various members of the community using/supporting it.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 30, 18 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing Analytics: Hardware/Software Mix [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jsjs wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Is this a serious question? You're asking the intellect behind WKO4 what he recommends for software? :)

Hah, it was indeed. It has been so long since I've looked at this stuff I still correspond AC to the book with Hunter Allen! I'll have to take a closer look at wko4.

Honestly, the fact that they have not developed the ability for people to change which day of the week their week starts on (despite repeated requests since 2015 it appears: https://peaksware.uservoice.com/...ge=1&per_page=20 in TP is enough for me to not even bother with it. I start my weeks on Sundays and this aligns with every other calendar I use and I have no desire to change that.
Last edited by: jsjs: Sep 30, 18 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to be laboring under the common misperception that I have anything to do with TP?
Quote Reply
Re: Training/Racing Analytics: Hardware/Software Mix [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
You seem to be laboring under the common misperception that I have anything to do with TP?

The source of my confusion: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/wko4/

I'll do some digging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Initial development of WKO4 was performed for TP by Hunter's PCG, then completed by Tim Cusick's Velocious Software. I was a consultant to PCG and later Velocious, but have never had any direct connection with/influence on TP itself.
Quote Reply