Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training: Feel Great, but Heavy Legs
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that in my training my 2nd workout of the day, usually 10-12 hours after my morning workout, that my legs are just heavy to pick up.

What is weird is I feel great. Like today... I did 90 minutes on the trainer at 80% FTP inside a 1:45 workout. I felt great. Right now, I feel great. I'm excited about running this afternoon. But, when I standup my legs are hard to lift to take a step.

Yesterday I did 2x30 @ 85% FTP inside a 90 minute session. Felt great and excited all day about my evening run but legs were super heavy. Could only run 5 miles instead of my 6 miles that I planned all because of my legs.

They aren't sore, just heavy.

Is this nutrition based? If so, what should I do to be recovered. Mentally I love the training, but I don't always have the legs.

This happens regardless of running or biking in the morning session.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jul 4, 18 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: Training: Feel Great, but Heavy Legs [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do efforts on the bike in the morning you can expect to have heavy legs to run on in the evening..

However, if you are doing a long trainingblock, and you're kind of hitting your point of fatigue and are functional overreaching.. you might feel good because of elevated cortisol levels, but in a few days you'll be hitting a wall and start to see less performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This doesn't sound too far out of the ordinary (at least for me?). I find especially in the last couple of build/peak weeks my legs are pretty heavy/sluggish primarily on the run, I think it's just the body trying to absorb the miles. How do you feel after your recovery week? My legs have always bounced back and I'm ready for the next build.
Quote Reply
Re: Training: Feel Great, but Heavy Legs [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds normal to me. My legs always feel that way after a hard session. I didn't have much push on the bike this morning after going out for a hardish run last night.

I think this is kind of what the Hanson marathon training plan gets at. Doing hard sessions followed by long runs to simulate running on tired legs towards the end of a marathon. Seems to work for most folks (that have stayed healthy) who have used their method.

Good, quality nutrition is always important especially after a tough session.
Quote Reply
Re: Training: Feel Great, but Heavy Legs [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do all my morning sessions fasted, regardless of intensity and duration (up to 2.5 hours). I immediately eat a half cup of cottage cheese and a banana - before even catching my breath. A couple hours later, I will eat another light snack, then a much bigger lunch. Then workout 3 hours after the lunch.

Im wondering if this is eating for proper recovery and refueling for the next session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice bath bro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try foam rolling midday

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I have noticed that in my training my 2nd workout of the day, usually 10-12 hours after my morning workout, that my legs are just heavy to pick up.

What is weird is I feel great. Like today... I did 90 minutes on the trainer at 80% FTP inside a 1:45 workout. I felt great. Right now, I feel great. I'm excited about running this afternoon. But, when I standup my legs are hard to lift to take a step.

Yesterday I did 2x30 @ 85% FTP inside a 90 minute session. Felt great and excited all day about my evening run but legs were super heavy. Could only run 5 miles instead of my 6 miles that I planned all because of my legs.

They aren't sore, just heavy.

Is this nutrition based? If so, what should I do to be recovered. Mentally I love the training, but I don't always have the legs.

This happens regardless of running or biking in the morning session.

Your mind will lie to you

Numbers won’t

I would go by how my heart rate numbers are at a given speed vs what they were in the past month, 3 months and 6 months
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I do all my morning sessions fasted, regardless of intensity and duration (up to 2.5 hours). I immediately eat a half cup of cottage cheese and a banana - before even catching my breath. A couple hours later, I will eat another light snack, then a much bigger lunch. Then workout 3 hours after the lunch.

Im wondering if this is eating for proper recovery and refueling for the next session.

That might not be quite enough post workout food. I do most of my AM work fasted as well, except the longer workouts (>1.5hour), but I fully fuel afterwards, usually a double serving of protein powder and a Clif bar. Maybe include a banana if my daughter hasn't eaten them all.

Unless you are still building, this should be getting easier.
Quote Reply