Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training, antibiotics and food...
Quote | Reply
I'm on augmentin for 4 weeks to treat a mega sinus infection (despite the name, augmentin is neither something to increase the size of your penis, nor the commercial name of human growth hormon)...

It's suppose to interfere quite a bit with digestion and prevent the absorption of nutrients...Any reasonable strategy to still get enough in (besides pigging out)?
Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
something to increase the size of ...

Man, I already had the cc out and everything.

:-(

As far as your real question, I'm clueless. Sorry. Fingers crossed for fast recovery.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prescribe Augmentin quite a bit - hey, isn't that pill about as big as your arm? ;) No real issues for most people since amoxicillin is the abx part (the clavulonic acid is not an abx in itself). Always good to take a probiotic with it (discussed ad nauseum on ST).

Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a BIG pill..4 a day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't answer the question because Augmentin makes me really sick. I can't last longer than 3 days without side effects taking control.

Hope you get better soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With such a name, I had to write that...and I'm not guaranteed to dodge all the smartass comments ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liquid food (blender time) w/ pro-biotics perhaps.. the freshest yogurt you can find w/o sugar. i'm sure more peeps will post on which specific probiotics to use .. good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I'm guessing you are actually on Augmentin XR. Are you really worried about a little pseudomembranous colitis? pffft, the hershey squirts will stop in a day or three. You'll be ok. if not discontinue after consulting w/ you doc first or take a drug to kill the build up of clostridium something I forgot. You do know that is 3-4x the normal length that someone takes this drug?

If you would stop getting sick so much we wouldn't need these talks ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sinus infection apparently has been building up over several years...seriously clogged up.
I've had already 3 times a Azithromycin treatment (500mg) and always comes back...
Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probiotic - try Bio K+. there is a dairy and non-dairy version. They sell it here at Whole Foods. With probios check the guaranteed bacteria count. Obviously higher is better and the good kinds need to be kept refrigerated. It can make a lot of difference... I also found some Hungarian yogurt (made locally) that is really low-sugar and high-probiotic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to pull whatever is in your sinus cavaity out. Things will fester and rot up there.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah...a friend suggested a treatment with clorox...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, clorox was once marketed as a birth-control/abortion method before the pill...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Augmentin is too rough on your GI tract...maybe I didn't take in enough probiotics...try Levaquin or Tequin.

The only side effect I notice with levaquin (one pill per day, smaller pill than augmentin) is impared sleep. It's also rough on the stomach if you don't take it with food, which it clearly recommends. I only made that mistake once.

Tradeoff...I have never needed another dose of Levaquin to clear up a sinus infection, while normal courses of every other antibiotic failed at one point or another followed by a quick resurgence of the infection.

Good luck, chronic sinus infections suck. Been there.
Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sinus cat scan revealed that it was both chronic and acute...I guess all the training in the desert pays off :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your CT show a defect or deformity blocking normal sinus drainage?

Unfortunately, I only have a slight "normal" narrowing of a few passageways and basically get to suffer through spring allergy season.

The friend/doc that recommended my ENT had a spur removed and two closed sinuses drilled out and hasn't had an infection in six years! Prior to the surgery he contemplated quitting a great job and moving to the desert it was getting so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Training, antibiotics and food... [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The friend/doc that recommended my ENT had a spur removed and two closed sinuses drilled out and hasn't had an infection in six years! Prior to the surgery he contemplated quitting a great job and moving to the desert it was getting so bad.[/quote]But now the air quality is so low, all the east coast transplants have planted pollen producing trees/flowers/shrubs/grasses and allergy season here can be one of the worst in the country.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get acute sinis infections 3-4 each year and have to go on extended Augmentin or Keflex (sp). A friend recommended I see some dude at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (sp) who is the chief of ENT. He said to try nasal irriagtion (the Indians used to do this, netti-pot (sp), http://www.ent-consult.com/.

Been irrigating for 6 years with only two infections. Best OTC solution I have ever used.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Water-Pik and just bought the tip from the company.

Peace out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a stud for doing all of that running while having a mega sinus infection and being on an antibiotic!
Quote Reply