Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heliix wrote:
Hey Nate
will there be drill work outs like single leg drills, spin ups etc. ?

There's already some of that. Mostly in the workouts in the base plan. The description sorta describe it but it's kind of hidden. The drills come as instructions while you're doing the workout. There's cadence ladders and I think some individual leg stuff too.

Ive you're really interested in specific workouts I can find out the ones that have the drills.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

I've got the wired Powertap SL and am having fun trying to find the right trainer to correspond with the real power output. Any suggestions on how to make this work besides going through each one individually. I have the Cycle Ops Fluid 2 trainer and the numbers are showing consistently high.

And based upon the comments so far, it appears that there isn't anyway to pickup my wired powertap data.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Walter
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [motrinabuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motrinabuser wrote:
Nate,

I've got the wired Powertap SL and am having fun trying to find the right trainer to correspond with the real power output. Any suggestions on how to make this work besides going through each one individually. I have the Cycle Ops Fluid 2 trainer and the numbers are showing consistently high.

And based upon the comments so far, it appears that there isn't anyway to pickup my wired powertap data.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Walter

I used to have a wired PT and you can still do the workouts that way. If you just don't pair it at all you can go through the workout and it will still prescribe you wattages. You just match the head unit to what's shown on screen. Not as fun, I know.

For the fluid2 being off, check out both of these posts:
http://blog.trainerroad.com/kurt-kinetic-power-curve-virtualpower/
http://blog.trainerroad.com/an-update-on-virtualpower-for-the-cycleops-fluid-2/

Basically, there might by a y-intercept offset due to rolling resistance. Fluid2 can also be screwy though and it might get tougher as it heats up. I don't have any hard data on this but that's the word on the street.

Since you have a PM, I would just match the numbers on your head unit with the workout.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate;

I signed up a couple of days ago and just did my first workout on TR (The 8 min test). It was pretty slick. I've wanted to train with power, but can't justify the $$$ to do so. For little under $100 (including a laptop stand), I've got a pretty solid training system for the upcoming Canadian winter. I like what I see so far, but I have a feeling my enthusiasm isn't going to last. (ie "A Very Dark Place") ;)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hillier99 wrote:
Nate;

I signed up a couple of days ago and just did my first workout on TR (The 8 min test). It was pretty slick. I've wanted to train with power, but can't justify the $$$ to do so. For little under $100 (including a laptop stand), I've got a pretty solid training system for the upcoming Canadian winter. I like what I see so far, but I have a feeling my enthusiasm isn't going to last. (ie "A Very Dark Place") ;)

Brad

hehe, it's like most races. In the middle of it you're like "Why do I do this? This is just stupid and I hate it!". Then when you're done you're like "THAT WAS THE MOST FUN EVER!" :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate for the prompt response. I figured you might say to use the power output readings from the head unit, as you already said. I will check out what you've noted below, possibly tweaking it some.

Thanks again!
Walter
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [motrinabuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

I'm mostly new to ST but i've been a lurker for a while, but after reading this thread and going through your trainerroad product, I just HAD to give you kudos, and my personal thanks!

I only discovered about TR today, and I've been contemplating buying CT's, PT's, Bushido's, Quarq's, SRM's, Ergomo's and whatever else is out there to help me out in getting the best bang for my limited training time (less than 9 hours a week during the build period for an iron distance race for all 3 sports!!)...but not anymore! Needless to say, you've hit the nail right on the head!

I did not want to spend $1000's on something that I didnt know I'd be able to either stick with, find the time to use, or could guarantee my improvement...but TR takes away all the constraints: Cost, compatibility with sensors, ease of use & setup, potentially endless workouts/courses/maps, customizability and sharing workouts!
I can definitely see Garmin and all the big gun companies out there trying to outsmart you in the future if this thing takes off, so I hope you get the $$ millions you deserve. I'd rather you have my money than those guys anyway!

Anyway, enough with the fawning! :D My only question is this: I have a Tacx Satori, and I see that all 10 levels of this trainer are compatible with TR, but separately. Can you tell me whether TR will adjust the calculated watts if I change the trainer resistance in the middle? Or would I have to keep the same trainer resistance throughout the workout and just be able to manipulate the gears on my bike?

I haven't subscribed yet, but plan to, soon! (as soon as I can get my SO/training partner to see the light and realize that this is worth the indoor trainer torture compared with spinning intervals!)

x2!

Duathlete by choice?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [parichitb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,

I've been thinking about the picking up the Cycleops Powerbeam pro. Will Trainerroad set the resistance (required power) on the trainer?

Thanks,
Henry
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at laptop stands for a while but can't seem to find a descent one.
Currently I have a stand made out of stacked boxes on top of each other and will eventually fall one day break my $2k laptop :)

Which one did you get?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a music stand. Works great, very adjustable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one of those TV dinner tables they sell for cheap everywhere. Works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [parichitb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words :).

Unfortunately you have to keep the same setting throughout the workout. That's unless you want to walk over to the computer and change it manually when you change it on the trainer...but that sucks and I don't recommend it.

I wish there was a remote control that we could use.

We do have that 30 day refund period so I would try it out with your trainer and see if having the resistance on one setting will work. I would set it so the resistance is good for your work intervals, not for your rest intervals. If you go too low on the rest intervals it isn't a big deal.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:

This. works great for both the laptop, or the iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/...-Stand/dp/B0002FOBJY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Hey Nate,

I've been thinking about the picking up the Cycleops Powerbeam pro. Will Trainerroad set the resistance (required power) on the trainer?

Thanks,
Henry

Not today, but Cycleops gave us the keys to control the powerbeam pro! They have a private ANT+ implementation so it's really great that they let us in on it.

We're just about ready for a beta with computrainer support. As soon as that gets out the door we're going to start on the powerbeam pro. The good thing is that we've structured the code in a way that we should be able to just plug in the power beam pro after the computrainer is done.

TrainerRoad WILL read the power data coming out of the Powerbeam Pro today. That is just a standard ANT+ power signal. Current users are just changing their power via the Joule to match the interval changes on TrainerRoad. Kind of a pain but still a good way to workout.

As soon as we can control the PowerBeam Pro it's going to be a very very attractive choice. Probably a more attractive choice than the computrainer (less wires, lower cost, good company).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear, I guess I will be keeping the Powerbeam on my wish list!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
hwangnyc wrote:

This. works great for both the laptop, or the iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/...-Stand/dp/B0002FOBJY

Make sure you keep the bolts tight in the back. I was a music major before I was a computer science guy in college. After a lot of use, music stands can lose their tension and release suddenly.

That's the sorta use those things get at a college/high school though, so you shouldn't have to tighten them too often.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Dealz wrote:
I have been looking at laptop stands for a while but can't seem to find a descent one.
Currently I have a stand made out of stacked boxes on top of each other and will eventually fall one day break my $2k laptop :)

Which one did you get?

I got this one, but I'm in Canada. (50% off!!!)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/...+Stand.jsp?locale=en

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

This thing looks awesome. I'm in the process of building my new indoor setup and the trainerroad.com site is exactly what I needed. I just ordered a Garmin ant+ stick and speed sensor to go on my new indoor bike. When those parts come in, I'm signing up with trainerroad.com and restarting my cycling program.

I hope you guys become billionaires off this thing.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
Nate,

This thing looks awesome. I'm in the process of building my new indoor setup and the trainerroad.com site is exactly what I needed. I just ordered a Garmin ant+ stick and speed sensor to go on my new indoor bike. When those parts come in, I'm signing up with trainerroad.com and restarting my cycling program.

I wanna be a billionaire, so effing baddd....

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,

Great to hear about the Computrainer and Powerbeam. Any plans for the Tacx Bushido?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Printer86 wrote:
Nate,

I wanna be a billionaire, so effing baddd....

I'm just looking forward to the day when you guys can quit your day jobs and work full-time on this great product. You sure deserve some success for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Hey Nate,

Great to hear about the Computrainer and Powerbeam. Any plans for the Tacx Bushido?

Tacx won't give us the keys to their implementation. I THINK they have a firmware updating coming out that will output the power on the Bushido. If they did that, you could ride at a set slope and we'd pick up the power data.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That just means I won't be buying a Tacx! Thanks for the quick response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate...When doing the 8 minute test, should I push as hard as I can? I did it and my NP came in at 285. I feel like I now set the bar too high for all my other rides. It adjusted my recommended FTP to 328 and my LTHR 149. The first time I did the 8 minute test in December I didn't push so hard and it recommended my FTP at around 200. Any advice on where I should keep my FTP for training?...I'm fairly new to cycling and I just got my first bike trainer. I'm training for my first IM this year. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by: motoxxx: Jan 7, 12 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
Nate...When doing the 8 minute test, should I push as hard as I can? I did it and my NP came in at 285. I feel like I now set the bar too high for all my other rides. It adjusted my recommended FTP to 328 and my LTHR 149. The first time I did the 8 minute test in December I didn't push so hard and it recommended my FTP at around 200. Any advice on where I should keep my FTP for training?...I'm fairly new to cycling and I just got my first bike trainer. I'm training for my first IM this year. Thanks for your help!

I'm guessing it recommended it to be 228 instead of 328.

I would stick with that number for now. You should definitely go as hard as you can during a test.

So stay at 228 now and see if you can get through your intervals. If you can, you're probably at a good FTP for you. If not, just lower it by 5 watts and try again. Since you're new you're going to see big gains in your cycling strength.

Check out this post. It might give you some more information about how to tweak your FTP.
http://support.trainerroad.com/...hould-i-raise-my-ftp

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next