Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Hi Bryce.

A technical question today. I was doing Warlow last night (dumb trainer with a wahoo speed cadence sensor via iOS 11 on an iPhone 6, and doing the over-unders the power display was taking a long time to respond, close to 30 seconds. Power smoothing was not turned on. Battery on my phone was low (under 20%) but I finished the workout with 9% remaining.

Thoughts? Could that be a result of the power settings on my phone somehow? Or something else?

Either way, having such a long lag makes it difficult to hit targets, I was completely guessing.

Hey Jason!

This is something that our Support Team will be better able to answer since they have the ability to take a look into your ride files. Would you mind reaching out to us at support@trainerroad.com?

Thanks!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
I have a question - first off I am new to TrainerRoad and Power, I absolutely love TR and it is fantastic!

My question is this;

I did a FTP test on Wednesday (5/23/18) and this was my 3rd time ever doing a FTP test (20min test). I did it on a dumb trainer (my wahoo was unavailable to be used this time) with my Garmin V3 power pedals (calibrated on TR before usage). I had a result that I was floored with as I just started my training and have been working really hard.

But my graph looked like this;

This is a indication that I really don't know how to FTP test right haha! With 5min to go I had plenty of steam left - however at the end of that 5 min I was cooked.

That netted me a 266 watt avg during the 20 min effort (not corrected by .95).

I then on 5/24/18 go and do a local group ride - I use the same bike and the same pedals and use my Garmin head unit (calibrated before ride) instead of my iPhone with TR - I sit on the front for 90% of the ride and at the end of the ride it notified me that I had a 20min AVG power of 275watt!!!!!!

Looked like this;

I am now lost as what to do - do I set my FTP higher as real world data shows it to be higher (this is right at 4% difference) or do I leave my TR alone. I will say I am not a great indoor trainer guy and try to ride 2/3 rides on the trainer as I find it controls my training better.

FWIW I just finished the Base Phase and Literally just started the Base phase!

Do I chalk it up to environment that gave me the results or maybe the calibration from the TR app to the Garmin unit could be 4% - just looking for some help and feed back!

One thing to note is that some people find their power outdoors is higher than the power they can sustain indoors. This can be due to a couple factors, but most likely, it has to do with increased air-flow and heat management that you get when you are on the open road. For this reason, we recommend testing on the same power meter and in the same conditions as you will be training.

That being said, the 20 minute test IS a really hard test to pace properly, and from the look of it, you did have a lot in the tank at the end. Becasue these tests are hard to pace, we went ahead and created a new testing protocol that we call the Ramp Test. This test is based on your current FTP and steps you through a series of one minute wattage increases until you literally cannot turn another pedal stroke. This takes the pacing element out of it, and allows you to test in a shorter period of time. This test should take between 20-25 minutes to complete, and should only hurt REALLY badly for about 3 minutes. I'd recommend giving this test a shot by searching for the Ramp Test in the workouts catalog :)

Happy testing!

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Thank you so much!

I will leave it alone for the time being and next time test with the other way!
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce
I'm a long time TR user and love the product. I can't believe how much my FTP has gone up since I started!

My question has to do with the long weekend bike workouts on the full distance plans. The majority of the workout is spent below ironman race pace (~75%) with only a short period of time at race pace. For example: "Longfellow" has only 15 minutes spent at 75% or race pace in a 4 hour total workout.

I've noticed my HR slowly climbs out of zone 2 sometimes during these long workouts, particularly in the intervals at goal pace. Is this simply a result of cumulative fatigue and will likely not be the case on race day due to tapering?

In other words, will my HR at 75% race power on race day most likely be in the appropriate range as expected and lower than it is in training at race power?

From what I've read its important on race day to stay in HR zone 2 to avoid a blowup.

I'm finishing up the full distance build med volume now and starting the full distance specialty high volume next week.

Thanks!

Nate
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dr. Coggan said in response to one FTP thread ..that the FTP test and FTP in general is descriptive not prescriptive. :) As for my personal opinion I hope that your FTP is 275 rather than 266 higher is always better. :) Good training!!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Using the KK Inride (Just bought a road machine plus inride specifically for my new TR subscription), I do the spindown calibration. I am new to spindowns, so a couple of questions.

1. I did the first, it said calibrated at 1.83........... or something. I dont know what that means. Is there a target?
2. So I do a workout, then 5-10 minutes into the workout I just do a spindown to calibrate during the workout? Do I pause the workout or just make it part of the workout?
3. Anything else I need to know?

I did the FTP test with it and it set my ftp at 175. Im excited to start this structured training.

Hey there!

You don't need to worry too much about the exact calibration numbers that your trainer spits out. Every trainer is different, but if it gives you the option to accept the calibration, then the calibration was successful :)

You can calibrate mid-workout by clicking the the Devices Icon in the lower part of your screen. This will pause the workout and take you to the Devices Tab where you can select your trainer and perform the calibration. In the future, we are hoping to build a calibration button straight into the workout view, but we have no ETA for that feature at this time.

The only other thing to mention is that the best time to calibrate is 5-10 minutes into your warmup so ensure that the trainer has had adequate to heat up and stabilize.

Good luck with the start of your training and feel free to reach out if you ever have any more questions for us!

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Bryce [KamilN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KamilN wrote:
I did few outdoor rides which I assigned to my TR account and I'm bit confused about TSS in Mondays ride. What is the reason that IF, NP, TSS and elevation gain are different than in Garmin Connect. Sunday and Saturday rides TSS was almost the same.
Duration 2h5 min - Garmin 115TSS, TR 145TSS.

https://www.trainerroad.com/...4779559-evening-ride
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/2716647634

Hey Karmin,

Would you mind reporting this issue to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com so that they can look into this for you?

The elevation will often be different between Garmin and TrainerRoad due to the fact that we do not currently use map packs to determine elevation gain, whereas Garmin Connect does. This is a field that we may improve in the future, but we are not working towards any updates currently.

As for the TSS/ IF, there are a few reasons that there could be discrepencies:

1. Different FTP saved in Garmin vs TrainerRoad
2. If you had severe power spikes during your ride, we filter those out while Garmin may have a different filtering process that could result in a different NP, and thus a different TSS and IF.

The first thing I would check is your set FTP in GC, but if they are set to the same level and the ride was power-spike-free, then let our Support Team so that they can take a closer look..

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

My set up at the moment is a kk road machine and despite having a stages power meter, I actually like using the virtual power and have found a reliable power curve over the years. I was thinking of upgrading direct drive with the Elite direto. Curiously, do you know if I used their power curves on trainer road, if any are similar to the kk? I fully expect to do an ftp test to get a new number with a different trainer.
Also I have heard the power floor on the Direto is pretty crap. In other words anything les than 170 watts as an example, you have to shift into the small ring. I'm trying to avoid the small chain ring at all costs, do you know if you can do erg mode in the big chain ring on the direto even at lower power numbers, say 100? i use a 53 up front, and it would be a 25 tooth rear
Thanks mate, not sure if you kow these questions or not!
Last edited by: coates_hbk: May 31, 18 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natewalsh wrote:
Hi Bryce

I'm a long time TR user and love the product. I can't believe how much my FTP has gone up since I started!

My question has to do with the long weekend bike workouts on the full distance plans. The majority of the workout is spent below ironman race pace (~75%) with only a short period of time at race pace. For example: "Longfellow" has only 15 minutes spent at 75% or race pace in a 4 hour total workout.

I've noticed my HR slowly climbs out of zone 2 sometimes during these long workouts, particularly in the intervals at goal pace. Is this simply a result of cumulative fatigue and will likely not be the case on race day due to tapering?

In other words, will my HR at 75% race power on race day most likely be in the appropriate range as expected and lower than it is in training at race power?

From what I've read its important on race day to stay in HR zone 2 to avoid a blowup.

I'm finishing up the full distance build med volume now and starting the full distance specialty high volume next week.

Thanks!

Nate

Hey Nate!

I ran this question by Coach Chad and he mentioned that this is the main reason we avoid using heart rate as a primary metric: the data can be misleading. Cardiac drift can occur during a workout for a variety of reasons and that doesn't neccessarily indicate that you need to ease up. You should use power to govern pace in training and racing, use RPE in the absence of power data, and use HR as complementary information in addition to one or both other metrics.

As for the progression of the plans, it is important to note that you don't need to operate at your exact race pace in order to get faster at that pace and duration. Those long Sunday Rides are designed as endurance rides, not race paced efforts. And you have other rides during the week where you operate over your race pace. This is all part of the beauty of structured training. By varying the energy systems used from day to day, your body can never fully adapt to the training stress and you will continue to get faster.

I hope that clears things up, let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Hi Bryce,

My set up at the moment is a kk road machine and despite having a stages power meter, I actually like using the virtual power and have found a reliable power curve over the years. I was thinking of upgrading direct drive with the Elite direto. Curiously, do you know if I used their power curves on trainer road, if any are similar to the kk? I fully expect to do an ftp test to get a new number with a different trainer.
Also I have heard the power floor on the Direto is pretty crap. In other words anything les than 170 watts as an example, you have to shift into the small ring. I'm trying to avoid the small chain ring at all costs, do you know if you can do erg mode in the big chain ring on the direto even at lower power numbers, say 100? i use a 53 up front, and it would be a 25 tooth rear
Thanks mate, not sure if you kow these questions or not!

Hey Coates!

Firstly, you shouldn't use VirtualPower power curves with any kind of smart trainer since we have not documented their slopes. You can technically use Resistance Mode and try to pick a power curve that sorta fits, but your KK Road Machine power curve would be a bad match since Resistance Mode utilizes a linear curve while the KK has an exponential slope.

As for the wattage floor, that is an issue that you will run into with almost all smart trainers, with the Direto being an especially bad offender. In general, we recommend ERG mode users shift into one of their easiest gears (small chainring, big cog) at all times since this improves the responsiveness of ERG mode and also eliminates wattage floors. Sadly, there is no way around wattage floors without utilizing a smaller gear (other than raising your FTP :P )

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks heaps Bryce! Do you know if the kikr has a crappy wattage floor too? That was another option I was looking at - I’d happily pay the extra to keep it in the big ring for erg mode workouts

Cheers!
Last edited by: coates_hbk: May 31, 18 20:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Thanks heaps Bryce! Do you know if the kikr has a crappy wattage floor too? That was another option I was looking at - I’d happily pay the extra to keep it in the big ring for erg mode workouts

Cheers!

The Direto does tend to have a more signifcant wattage floor compared to other smart trainers. Other users sem to have the same issues:

From user gplama:

"The Direto has held up very well over the last month or more. I've had the pre-production and production units to tear into. Power accuracy on them has been rock solid up against the P1 and 2INpower cranks. The ride feel isn't sluggish (which a lot of ergos suffer from). The only real catch being the "Wattage Floor" in ERG mode that the Kickr doesn't seem to suffer from.. "

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you do struggle with a wattage floor, you can always shift to the small ring just for the recovery valleys and then shift up right before the work intervals start. This will work for longer recovery valleys but of course would cause problems for workouts like Spanish Needle where you are rapidly changing from work to recovery intervals.

Good luck with the trainer search!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate. Yep I’m weighing up the cost factor vs conveniences of keeping it in one gear (which is the purpose of erg mode I suppose)

think it will come down to kickr vs hammer.

Not sure of the hammer has much, if any, of a wattage floor
Last edited by: coates_hbk: Jun 3, 18 19:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Thanks mate. Yep I’m weighing up the cost factor vs conveniences of keeping it in one gear (which is the purpose of erg mode I suppose)

think it will come down to kickr vs hammer.

Not sure of the hammer has much, if any, of a wattage floor

The Kickr and Hammer are both highly recommended trainers. The Hammer is the personal favorite of our CEO Nate Pearson, and the Kickr is reliable, consistent and one of the most popular trainers on the market. you really can't go wrong either way.

One difference between the two trainers with respect to our software is that the Hammer cannot be calibrated within our software yet. Calibration has to be done in the CycleOps software before switching over to TrainerRoad. Not a deal breaker, but something worth mentioning.

For more detailed analysis:
KICKR 3: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...kr-2017-edition.html
Hammer: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-trainer-review.html

Happy shopping!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new at trainnerroad... i would like to start a training plan for Ironman Cozumel (18nov), and I have some questions about which to use and how to do it....

At first I have many weeks, but not enough to fix exactly a predefined plan, and I would just finished my triathlon season this sunday (3 middle distance), so I am not in a bad shappe. I would like to take 2 weeks easy (transition) and to start a 21 weeks plan for IMCOZ, with the 70.3 Cascais in week 16th. I would only use TR bike plan (I mean, I would follow bike workouts of ironman plan, or sst or traditional plan).

- Ironman plan (base + build + speciality): 12+8+8 = 28 weeks.
- Traditional or SS Base + Sustained Power + Ironman Speciality: 12+ 8 +8 = 28 weeks.

I like better the idea to follow the ironman plan, but... which weeks would be better to skip? any suggestion?

And the second question, how to do it in TR? when i start a plan, it asks me to set a starting date (today or a earlier date to skip weeks I think)... but coudl I skip a week in the future?

COuld I copy a training plan and edit it to fix my needs??
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:
new at trainnerroad... i would like to start a training plan for Ironman Cozumel (18nov), and I have some questions about which to use and how to do it....

At first I have many weeks, but not enough to fix exactly a predefined plan, and I would just finished my triathlon season this sunday (3 middle distance), so I am not in a bad shappe. I would like to take 2 weeks easy (transition) and to start a 21 weeks plan for IMCOZ, with the 70.3 Cascais in week 16th. I would only use TR bike plan (I mean, I would follow bike workouts of ironman plan, or sst or traditional plan).

- Ironman plan (base + build + speciality): 12+8+8 = 28 weeks.
- Traditional or SS Base + Sustained Power + Ironman Speciality: 12+ 8 +8 = 28 weeks.

I like better the idea to follow the ironman plan, but... which weeks would be better to skip? any suggestion?

And the second question, how to do it in TR? when i start a plan, it asks me to set a starting date (today or a earlier date to skip weeks I think)... but coudl I skip a week in the future?

Hey there!

Firstly, we recommend following the triathlon plan for all triathletes, even ones with their own run and swim programs, due to the fact that the tri plans are tuned for the correct distance and take into account the stress from your other disciplines.

As for which weeks you should skip, since you are just coming out of another big block of training, I would recommend the following progression:

Full Distance Base (Weeks 8-12)
Full Distance Build (8 weeks)
Full Distance Specialty (8 weeks)

For a total of 21 weeks

This progression has a few perks:
1. It starts with a recovery week to slightly extend your mid-season recovery phase
2. It ends with Specialty weeks 7 and 8, which will properly taper you leading up to your race
3. The Specialty Plan has a Half Distance race scheduled on Week 4 which should coincide perfectly with your Cascais 70.3

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions for me!

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivantriker wrote:

I just realized I missed your last question, sorry about that.

Unfortunately, we do not have a way to edit or adjust training plans at this time. We are currently working on making a Calendar View that will allow for more adjustment and personalization, however, we don't have an ETA for that feature quite yet. For now, you will start by signing up for the Base Plan and then going through and marking all the rides on Weeks 1-7 as "Skipped". You can do this on the web by hovering over the tile for the prescribed ride and selecting "Assign" and then "Skip". In the Apps, you will click on the prescribed ride, then go to the three dot menu (...) in the upper right corner, and select "Assign", and then "Skip".

If you want to keep up to date on the latest developements on the Calendar (and potentially get early access), go ahead and join our TrainerRoad Beta Testers group on Facebook :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need some advice please. I have been riding trainer road for over a year on a Kinetic Road Machine with the kinetic power meter. No iissues and I could always hold my power steady within a few watts.

I just set up my new Direto trainer and did my FTP test. I did the trainer road calibration first. My spindown shows 0s. I am in resistance (non ERG) mode with the resistance set to "none". I have power match disabled (no other power meter).

My power was all over the place! I'm talking instant 20-30 watt swings without any change in cadence. Is this normal?? I'm not saying my power is dead on even, but 20-30 watt changes in the same gear with no cadence change seems high.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worried I shelled out a bunch of money and have a trainer with a problem. I tested a workout with ERG mode on after the FTP test and that seemed to hold power a little better. However, still some decent swings and without ERG mode on it's all over the place.

Thanks!
Last edited by: Rossguy: Jun 6, 18 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks!! I will do exactly as you say!
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rossguy wrote:
Need some advice please. I have been riding trainer road for over a year on a Kinetic Road Machine with the kinetic power meter. No iissues and I could always hold my power steady within a few watts.

I just set up my new Direto trainer and did my FTP test. I did the trainer road calibration first. My spindown shows 0s. I am in resistance (non ERG) mode with the resistance set to "none". I have power match disabled (no other power meter).

My power was all over the place! I'm talking instant 20-30 watt swings without any change in cadence. Is this normal?? I'm not saying my power is dead on even, but 20-30 watt changes in the same gear with no cadence change seems high.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worried I shelled out a bunch of money and have a trainer with a problem. I tested a workout with ERG mode on after the FTP test and that seemed to hold power a little better. However, still some decent swings and without ERG mode on it's all over the place.

Thanks!

Hey Rossguy!

The first thing I'd like to point out is that true power output is far from smooth. When you train with the Kinetic inRide, the sensor is essentially just converting a speed reading into an estimated power reading. Due to the intertia of the wheel, and a variety of other factors, this naturally smooths the reading that shows up within TrainerRoad. Realistic power is not this smooth, and will appear jumpier than what you are used to. For users with devices that do not smooth the power data, we recommend running a bit of power smoothing within TrainerRoad to make it easier to track your Power Targets. Something around 3 seconds works well for most riders and setups.

One thing about your setup that I am concerned about though is that you have the Resistance set to "None". This could very well cause increased volatility in your power readings. The default resistance level for the Direto is 29% via ANT+ or 50% via Bluetooth. Go ahead and switch the resistance to the appropriate level and see if that helps.

If you adjust the Resistance Level and you are still getting unreasonable volatility in your power, I encourage you to reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com so that they can take a closer look :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

I'm a current TR user, but havnt been using TR for workouts for a bit. I plan on starting up the long distance tri plan in the near future but i have a question regarding my work schedule and how that will effect my overall training.

I work a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off rotation away from home. I'm gone from home for two weeks with no access to my bike / trainer / TR then home for two weeks. I know this essentially doubles any training plan's duration, but specifically how will this effect any gains from the structured plans? i essentailly get a two week rest from the bike every month.

I do have treadmills and a vasa swim trainer at work so i can still work the other two disciplines, but that doesnt much help me out on the bike.

thanks in advance!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Notice something today on my personal ride feed and wanted to ask about that. Are all user account rides/sessions now private? I recall there used to be a public ride feed that would show people who recently completed a session. But noticed it disappeared and wanted to make sure that was intentional.

Reason being I just realized my real rides that have been imported through Garmin don't have a privacy zone around my home. I never bothered with my Garmin account as I leave all workouts private. On Strava I have one setup though. For now I've finally set up a privacy zone on my Garmin account so it doesn't transfer in anyway to Trainroad just in case. But that does fix all my past rides that uploaded.

Also, I had a short run that Strava thought was a ride. I was able to fix it there but my TR account is still showing it as a ride and I can't delete it or so far can't figure out how. Are there instructions you can provide? Or if not please add that feature to delete improved rides.

Thanks!
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jun 21, 18 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Hey Rossguy!

The first thing I'd like to point out is that true power output is far from smooth. When you train with the Kinetic inRide, the sensor is essentially just converting a speed reading into an estimated power reading.

Wait, so the KK inside is not acting as a power meter? I thought that was the point of getting the inside was so that it would be more accurate in terms of power.
Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Wait, so the KK inside is not acting as a power meter? I thought that was the point of getting the inside was so that it would be more accurate in terms of power.

That's correct. The inRide performs the same calculation as VirtualPower, with the only difference being that the calculation takes place within the sensor itself rather than within the TrainerRoad software. The benefit of this is that you can pair your trainer to other, non-TrainerRoad devices and still get power readings.

Quote Reply
Re: How approach short intervals (dumb trainer) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Bryce,

Notice something today on my personal ride feed and wanted to ask about that. Are all user account rides/sessions now private? I recall there used to be a public ride feed that would show people who recently completed a session. But noticed it disappeared and wanted to make sure that was intentional.

Reason being I just realized my real rides that have been imported through Garmin don't have a privacy zone around my home. I never bothered with my Garmin account as I leave all workouts private. On Strava I have one setup though. For now I've finally set up a privacy zone on my Garmin account so it doesn't transfer in anyway to Trainroad just in case. But that does fix all my past rides that uploaded.

Also, I had a short run that Strava thought was a ride. I was able to fix it there but my TR account is still showing it as a ride and I can't delete it or so far can't figure out how. Are there instructions you can provide? Or if not please add that feature to delete improved rides.

Thanks!

Sorry Loxx, you're right I did miss this one.

Unfortunately, the privacy zones that are present on Garmin and Strava do not carry over into TrainerRoad when we import them. If you wish to keep that data private, all you need to do is switch your TrainerRoad Account to private within your account settings. You can change your account to Private by changing the "Career and Workouts" setting here:
https://www.trainerroad.com/profile/rider-information

As for the Public Ride Feed, we did not get rid of it, but we did move its location to a place that seems a bit more logical to us. You can see the Public Ride feed for any particular workout by opening the workout, scrolling down and clicking "All Rides". This will show you all the completed instances of that workout from users around the world :)

You can see an example of this feature by scrolling to the bottom of this page:
https://www.trainerroad.com/profile/rider-information

As for how to delete a ride, simply open the ride up within TrainerRoad, click the three dot menu (...) in the upper right corner, and then select "Delete Ride".

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions for me :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next