Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer vs Spin Bike
Quote | Reply
Has anyone bee successful in converting to a spin bike vs riding the trainer.

I train 90% inside and have been on my trainer for about 7 years averaging 3 bike workouts a week. I've used my old road bike strictly for on the trainer and raced on my tri bike to keep it in great shape.

I've made huge gains so don't want to sacrifice that but like the idea of a spin bike. They tend to be much quieter and a lot easier to change the set up on for when my wife wants to hop on.

Thannks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer vs Spin Bike [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Keiser M3i in my family room. It’s great for the reasons you state - whisper quiet and easy to adjust for different riders. Relative to a proper bike on a trainer, the spin bike feels more solid (no fork/front wheel play) and is quieter. On the other hand, (1) it has a wider Q Factor which I can feel and sort of bothers my knees, (2) the Keiser has a computer that displays watts but they’re not accurate/comparable to your bike, (3) the resistance is modulated via a lever and is quite exponential (e.g., going from level 13 to 14 on the spin bike is a much bigger jump than shifting to a smaller cog on your bike), and (4) it’s a spin bike so you have to get used to having no freewheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer vs Spin Bike [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some workouts I do (standing into tempo efforts) I find a spin bike better. I go to a class weekly, some weeks I get a wattbike, sometimes I don't and I can honestly say for some of the workouts I prefer the spin bike.

People have a thing about spin bikes but at the end of the day a watt is a watt. I know the bike I use is around 5% out from accurate (keiser) but obviously it's always consistent to itself which is all that really matters.

I'd say, if you can get comfortable on a spin bike and it kills two birds with your missus able to use it then go for it, why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two Kickr Cores? They’re totally silent and you can ride with the wife!

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 90% of my IM training this past season on a spin bike - mostly because I live in a small apartment and didn't want to wake up my neighbors on the trainer, and also, I would do most of my workouts on my lunch break at the gym across the street. (I live in NYC, so carting a bike around isn't an option.) I would say that all of my shorter, midweek rides were done on a trainer and my long weekend rides I did outside. Granted, I wasn't out to win the IM or even come close, but I don't think I did myself any disservice by riding the spin bike vs. a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, TACX released a smart "Spin" bike based on their Flux/Neo trainer technology for the power control....if you can afford it something to look into.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...and-final-specs.html
Quote Reply