Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer noise
Quote | Reply
I moved to a new apartment this summer. Always had access to a basement or laundry room in my old places, but now I don’t. Hooked up my trainer and went to ride it about two pedal strokes in it sounded like I was firing up a chain saw first thing in the morning. It was loud enough not only to stop my morning workout but I’m a little worried about afternoons and weekends too.

Trainer is in a carpeted room, we are in the second floor. Is there something I can do to dampen the noise or what are quiet but affordable trainers?

Current rig is a Nashbar fluid trainer.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer noise [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the only thing is vibration isolation. Get a thick training mat, or some of those foam gym pads and put them under the trainer. That will at least prevent the trainer's noise vibrations from transmitting directly into the structure. However there is no easy way to dampen the ambient noise from the trainer.

Edit: Your current trainer probably produces noise about half-again louder than a vacuum cleaner. You need to get it below a casual conversation level (attenuate the noise by around 10 dB). That would take hanging sound-dampening material on the walls and ceiling.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 15, 19 5:57
Quote Reply