Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts
Quote | Reply
Pretty neat feature! I was able to jump into a group workout yesterday with Nate to check it out. Workout compliance will definitely go up using this feature. I can particularly see coaches using this with their squad of athletes. As someone who uses both TrainerRoad and zwift, this will also be really cool to pair up with doing a meetup or group workout on zwift with.

https://www.trainerroad.com/...ontent=announcements
Last edited by: Sean H: Mar 31, 20 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love TR. I use it daily. My friends and athletes use it. I have zero desire to watch them use it. Then again, I'm not much into the social aspect of training in person or digitally. YMMV.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had to guess they needed to integrate some form of "social training" into their product considering Zwift is their main competitor and their product is very conducive to "social" training. Nate is a sharp guy, I would love to hear the TR story on the podcast How I Built This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to talk to the others in the group or is it just visual?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTEEZY28 wrote:
Are you able to talk to the others in the group or is it just visual?

I watched the youtube demo with Nate / Jon / DC Rainmaker last night. you can all talk to each other over the app. I would be very interested in trying it out, this is a feature that might just get me back on Trainerroad.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you join a workout others are already in? Or do you have to agree with other before hand to go and do a workout?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Could you join a workout others are already in? Or do you have to agree with other before hand to go and do a workout?

I'm fairly sure they said that you can join in a workout that's in progress. Current limit is 5 participants, but they're working on upping it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I love TR. I use it daily. My friends and athletes use it. I have zero desire to watch them use it. Then again, I'm not much into the social aspect of training in person or digitally. YMMV.

Yeah this won't be for everyone, but it will definitely be useful for those that get extra motivation to push themselves in a interval if in a group setting.

You also have the ability to turn the video off if you want, just doing audio, or turn both off and just see your mate's power numbers & HR.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TriStart wrote:

I'm fairly sure they said that you can join in a workout that's in progress. Current limit is 5 participants, but they're working on upping it.

Somebody has to start the group workout and share a code. I saw in trainerroad forum they’ve started a thread for people trying to coordinate group workouts with whoever would want to join.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nate is a sharp guy, I would love to hear the TR story on the podcast How I Built This.
Nate was on the Channel Mastery podcast last year talking about the business side of TrainerRoad along with giving a brief origin story.

Episode 103: How SaaS Apps Organize for Growth (and What We ALL Can Learn), with Nate Pearson
https://www.verdepr.com/channel-mastery-podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they had to make this move. Using my athlete population over the last 5-6 years which I know isn't necessarily representative of trainer road users on the whole. That being said that's athletes on 3 continents and 7-8 countries. Five to six years ago everyone was on TR, Iuse to write workouts with TR names such as brasstown. People would go load it and train. Now <9.5% of my athletes use TR.

Every single on migrated to Zwift and didn't come back. My guess is they were bleeding subscribers to Zwift and realized they could slow the outflow with this change.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I think they had to make this move. Using my athlete population over the last 5-6 years which I know isn't necessarily representative of trainer road users on the whole. That being said that's athletes on 3 continents and 7-8 countries. Five to six years ago everyone was on TR, Iuse to write workouts with TR names such as brasstown. People would go load it and train. Now <9.5% of my athletes use TR.

Every single on migrated to Zwift and didn't come back. My guess is they were bleeding subscribers to Zwift and realized they could slow the outflow with this change.

I used to be 100% TR. A big reason of that was because I was self-coached and used their plans/workouts. However, since working with a coach this season who loads workouts into trainingpeaks, I am 100% zwift. I doubt I'll go back to TR. If anything, I'll move to Road Grand Tour.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I have zero desire to watch them use it.

What, you don't want to watch a bunch of sweaty, hairy dudes in garages?
Last edited by: trail: Mar 31, 20 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big time TR fan as a self coached athlete. I don't think I can find anyone doing the exact same workout on the same day as my prescribed plan gives me though.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

for me, the Zwift "experience" has never done much for me. But I know others love it. My coach just gives me my workouts and I executed them in PerfPro or sometimes TR. But if I was self coached and really taking a more casual approach to my training I might go back to Zwift and just jump on to do group workouts, races, or do hill repeats.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Big time TR fan as a self coached athlete. I don't think I can find anyone doing the exact same workout on the same day as my prescribed plan gives me though.

I think this is going to be one of the challenging things. Deciding on a workout that 2+ people want to do on that day at that time. But overall i do love the idea of this feature.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm near certain this was purely in response to quarantine. On instagram they said they went from proof of concept to live in ten days. Maybe it was longer in development though, and they just accelerated it.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it should work well for short, hard interval workouts, recovery rides or longer, lower intensity endurance rides. Most the TR plans mix in a shorter interval day or two during the week with longer endurance rides on the weekend. I think there are many options for either style of workout - so even if you and a friend don't have the exact same workout, there is likely a pretty easy compromise to select one that meets both of your needs for the day.

I just tried it out today with a buddy. Neither of us had a ride planned, so we just did Dans to test it out. Dans is very easy so we just messed around with our individual set ups and caught up for a bit. We may do some harder interval workouts together to keep the accountability there to get through the suffering or simply set up a few more recovery rides like Dans moving forward.

It's basically just training with Zoom, however it's all easily packaged and synced in one app.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad introduces Group Workouts [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
vanchize wrote:

I think this is going to be one of the challenging things. Deciding on a workout that 2+ people want to do on that day at that time. But overall i do love the idea of this feature.

I used to go to a cycling studio that had like 10 computrainers. Those workouts were always fun with people around. Reminds me of that.
Quote Reply