Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TrainerRoad for Treadmills?
Quote | Reply
Winter's here and most of my running over the next few months will be on the "dreadmill"

Anybody come across any good treadmill training apps?

I'm looking for a "TrainerRoad for Treadmills" I guess.

(I know that FEC ANT+ has not made it to treadmills yet but that's OK - manually adjusting speed/incline is no big deal)

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://perfprostudio.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re doing workouts while running that you need something to tell you what to do on the treadmill, you’re doing running wrong.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
If you’re doing workouts while running that you need something to tell you what to do on the treadmill, you’re doing running wrong.

everyone said the same thing about cycling and the trainer...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Why?

Probably same reason people use things like Trainerroad for cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Why?

Because, quite frankly, I am not a qualified coach. Chad Timmerman and Jonathan Lee are. That is why I use TrainerRoad - I know I'm getting a quality structured workout that I don't have to think about, I just have to execute. There's a ton of value in that for a lot of athletes, as TrainerRoad (and to a much lesser extent, Zwift) clearly demonstrates. TrainerRoad has made a ton of us faster on the bike than "going out and riding" would have made us, especially for the same number of hours logged per week. Efficacy of training matters when your time becomes more valuable as you age/get promoted/have a family/whatever. I would rather know that I'm not screwing around when I hop on the trainer and take time away from everything else in my life, and the results I have achieved with TR show that.

Why would we want it for running? The same reasons. I want to get a workout in with a higher efficacy and less time than I can otherwise get on the road. Especially as you get more northerly, the amount of daylight is short and the cold keeps me indoors rather than out. If I can get faster, indoors, in less time and less risky situations, then it's a no-brainer. Add in the fact it would be put together by qualified professionals instead of my google-fu and the "why" seems rather obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Response to my own question: seems that Wahoo has some options. Looks like FEC ANT+ *is* available via this little gizmo:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ect-integration.html

An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout.

The app can adjust the incline too.

Apparently you can retrofit the device to any treadmill with a CSAFE port (most commercial treadmills and many home ones too).

Will do more research and report back...!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

Uh, no.

Running is mostly easy-effort miles with anywhere from 10-20% hard miles, and gradual incremental volume rampups if you're doing it right.

You don't need some elaborate detailed mile by mile training plan to run easy miles. In fact, you're probably better off donig things that slow you down on the easy days provided you actually DO run fast and hard when it counts. I run barefoot as well as watch Netflix on all my easy treadmill days - it's a nice mid-low Z2 effort. The barefoot is good training and also keeps me from going too hard.

No netflix or barefoot on the hard days though. It's all focus, and I often do them in a gym treadmill for even more motivation since I seem to go harder when others are around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep us posted on this. I have a zoot commercial Precor from the 2007 era but can't find a free port to use. Considering the electrical engineering aspects of using a splitter on the existing cable/port

smallard wrote:
Response to my own question: seems that Wahoo has some options. Looks like FEC ANT+ *is* available via this little gizmo:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ect-integration.html

An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout.

The app can adjust the incline too.

Apparently you can retrofit the device to any treadmill with a CSAFE port (most commercial treadmills and many home ones too).

Will do more research and report back...!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Why?
When I asked this, it was in reply to a specific post by marklemcd.
Don't people check which post has been replied to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah please do, I asked DC about this via his site and didn't hear back. I have found that some of the treadmills with the ports only have output and do not take command controls. I have found a few medical grade treadmills that take input through the serial port, but they are cost prohibitive. I also know there may be some safety concerns with the manufacturers and possibly Wahoo on command controls. Not sure about this one, but understand the reasoning, so knowing whether Wahoo is open source would also be helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Thorax wrote:
Why?
When I asked this, it was in reply to a specific post by marklemcd.
Don't people check which post has been replied to?
I say this as someone who owns a treadmill, a trainer, and a trainerroad subscription.

Most days running should just be easy. Does anyone need TrainerRoad to ride 60 minutes in z2?

And on workout days if your running workouts are so intricate that you need something like trainerroad your workouts are far too complex. That complexity is good on a bike, it doesn’t work running.

And one should be outside doing workouts pretty much all the time if possible anyway. Most triathletes over complicate this stuff.

Treadmill runs have their place, very few good runners rely on them in quantities like we can with a cycling trainer. It just doesn’t work that way running. Look at the elite runners, nearly all of them do the vast majority of their runs outside (this is where someone points out one workout on instagram from a elite on a treadmill as proof that elites train indoors).

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, first thing I found is that CSAFE compatibility may not be as widespread as I hoped:

http://www.fitnessav.com/...f_info.html#StarTrac

I've been looking at the more expensive home treadmills (like NordicTrack or LifeSpan) - no CSAFE there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then there's Zwift running...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...pcoming-running.html

Just needs a footpod (although they are supposed to be supporting that fancy Wahoo CSAFE module too).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a new Precor TRM 445, as in delivered yesterday. Very interested to hear your results. Thanks.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have a CSAFE port? If so, then the Wahoo module is an option for you and you can have all kinds of fun.

If not, then Zwift Running might be your best bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into it. I know it has USB for Software updates. Would be a shame if it didn't. Thought all the later stuff did. And this is the top of the line in their Precision series.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I see that this Wahoo thing allows you to "extract" workout info from a treadmill but not really seeing the value here? Can't you simply do this with your Garmin "indoor" running option? The advantage of trainerroad is the ability to build your workout before hand so all you have to do is hit start and forget about it... What am I missing? Can you pre-load a workout into this device?

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Wahoo module allows you to control the treadmill - speed, incline.

So this certainly would allow the ability to create tailored workouts - maybe Wahoo is doing that with their RunFit app - not sure.

DC Rainmaker says:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

I say this as someone who owns a treadmill, a trainer, and a trainerroad subscription.

Most days running should just be easy. Does anyone need TrainerRoad to ride 60 minutes in z2?

And on workout days if your running workouts are so intricate that you need something like trainerroad your workouts are far too complex. That complexity is good on a bike, it doesn’t work running.

And one should be outside doing workouts pretty much all the time if possible anyway. Most triathletes over complicate this stuff.

Treadmill runs have their place, very few good runners rely on them in quantities like we can with a cycling trainer. It just doesn’t work that way running. Look at the elite runners, nearly all of them do the vast majority of their runs outside (this is where someone points out one workout on instagram from a elite on a treadmill as proof that elites train indoors).

That's all a bunch of
Last edited by: Thorax: Nov 21, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that was his hope for the technology, I am not sure that app exists at this point in time or if anyone has had any success. The few reviews I have seen are all about downloading workout info and most of those are hit and miss just for that limited functionality.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even if your treadmill has a csafe port, the manufacturers are not letting third parties control the speed live for liability reasons. so all you're really getting is incline or a predefined workout so it won't work with something dynamic like zwift

from DCR:

Quote:

One thing it can’t do – change speed in realtime*: This is done for safety/legal reasons, and in talking to Wahoo, this sounds like treadmill manufacturers view this line as a ‘over our dead bodies’ type of thing. Which is fair, I’m not sure I’d trust all 3rd party apps to not have a bug that changes a treadmill speed from 6MPH to 15MPH in 1 second and throws me against a wall, like these awesome YouTube videos. *(Update: Wahoo has clarified there’s an exception to this. An app can send to the treadmill a pre-defined workout with pre-defined paces, and the treadmill will follow those over the course of the workout. Whereas it won’t allow you to adjust the pace in real-time from the app.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re ok manually adjusting speed and incline why not just use TrainerRoad running plans? Zwift has some running plans too. Or really any running plan from anywhere?

You can get a little Milestone pod and attach it to your shoe and have your speed and cadence show up in Zwift. I’ve never used TrainerRoad but I assume it’s the same? I’ve also used RunSocial a few times with it but it’s mostly just eye candy.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad for Treadmills? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Run Social app is pretty neat to pass the time. Auto adjusts the incline and speed when i am in the heart rate program on my unit, a Landice L8.
Quote Reply

Prev Next