Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program?
Quote | Reply
Is there is a track cycling program on TrainerRoad or if you can put one together on your own?

Additionally, track cyclist seem to be larger people than road cyclists. Do any of our skills as triathletes cross over between any track sports to the point we can use each as cross training?

https://cyclingtips.com/...ng-events-explained/ - a guide to the different events.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phunctional wrote:
Is there is a track cycling program on TrainerRoad or if you can put one together on your own?

Additionally, track cyclist seem to be larger people than road cyclists. Do any of our skills as triathletes cross over between any track sports to the point we can use each as cross training?

https://cyclingtips.com/...ng-events-explained/ - a guide to the different events.

They don't have a canned program that is specifically labelled as "for track riders" but I suspect that you could piggy back off of one of the existing roadie plans. If you want a 30-day trial (which will let you look at the canned plans), PM your name and email address and I'll send you a trial code.

I can't answer your second question but I thought triathletes were generally known as lacking cycling skills :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Additionally, track cyclist seem to be larger people than road cyclists.

Sprinters, yes. Pursuiters, no (see Rapp for example).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“After the 2016 season, the three timed events - the sprint time trial, flying lap and individual pursuit were all removed from the event, a tempo race added, and the event shortened to a single day. The points race as final race format remains with minor modifications.

Scratch race
Tempo race
Elimination race
Points race
25 km for elite men, 20 km for elite women, 20 km for junior men, 15 km for junior women
The winner of the Omnium is the rider who has obtained the highest total of points.

In the event of a tie in the final ranking, the places in the final sprint of the last event, the Points Race, breaks the tie.

A rider must have completed every event in the omnium.”

Events 2020 games:
Keirin
Madison
Omnium
Team pursuit
Sprint
Team sprint

Does this mean the only small person event left is the Omnium?

Would one follow something like this?

Sweet spot base phase
Short power build phase
Criterium/40k TT specially phase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phunctional wrote:

What venue are you talking about? World Cup? Olympics? "Small person" isn't the word I'd pick, but the endurance events are omnium, individual pursuit, madison, team pursuit, and then the standalone mass start events - scratch race, points race, elimination race. Which of those are available depends on the event. The Olympics only has omnium, IP, TP.

Quote:
Sweet spot base phase
Short power build phase

I'm not a TP guy, but that sounds ballpark. Except 40K is a bit of a stretch.

But mostly go race a bunch of track races.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes. And you are totally correct on venue, goals, level, etc. OPer should probably state what he is actually training for and if he’s a beginner or he wants to qualify for whatever.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

Yes. And you are totally correct on venue, goals, level, etc. OPer should probably state what he is actually training for and if he’s a beginner or he wants to qualify for whatever.

AND if they have any track experience. Of all the places to need experience and skill combined with fitness, this is it.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Quote:

AND if they have any track experience. Of all the places to need experience and skill combined with fitness, this is it.

I am a she, and will be a total newbie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phunctional wrote:

Do you have a local velodrome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phunctional wrote:

Then just get really really good at riding a bike and really really good at the technique of riding the track. No specialization needed.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
No specialization needed.

Well that depends on the person. As a trackie I'm an utterly different cyclist than I was as a triathlete. A seasoned criterium racer might have less of a jump to make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Phunctional wrote:

https://thevelodrome.com

This is the track we have a little over an hour away from us. We took our kids (6 & 4 year old girls) to multiple lessons over the course of June and I wanted to learn more about how to translate MTB/TT bike skill over to track and how to guide my kids going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Phunctional wrote:

What venue are you talking about? World Cup? Olympics? "Small person" isn't the word I'd pick, but the endurance events are omnium, individual pursuit, madison, team pursuit, and then the standalone mass start events - scratch race, points race, elimination race. Which of those are available depends on the event. The Olympics only has omnium, IP, TP.

Quote:
Sweet spot base phase
Short power build phase

I'm not a TP guy, but that sounds ballpark. Except 40K is a bit of a stretch.

Yea agree, go race some track races and the demands of the races will become clear very quickly.

Pick a VO2 specific program in the speciality phase as even the 'endurance' events on the track are largely dictated by 5min power and less.

FTP will dictate how high a 'level' you can race/hang with. Your 1 min and less power on the track will dictate whether you're off the front/sprinting for the win versus chewing bar tape on the back of the pace line each time there's an acceleration.

IME the hardest things I've ever done on a bike are: 1) the 1km TT, followed by 2) a 50km points race at a reasonably high level. Both times I had blurred vision by halfway through the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phunctional wrote:
trail wrote:
Phunctional wrote:

https://thevelodrome.com

This is the track we have a little over an hour away from us. We took our kids (6 & 4 year old girls) to multiple lessons over the course of June and I wanted to learn more about how to translate MTB/TT bike skill over to track and how to guide my kids going forward.
They have "Masters and Rookies" racing on Saturdays there and you should jump in a race. The other riders are very friendly and helpful (no attitudes like you get at crits). Ttown has a clinics for new riders and programs specifically for female riders. Also, the track is open from sun up to sun down so you have a lot of opportunity to work out on the track.
As a newbie myself I'd have to agree with the above advice - 5 minute and 1 minute power are key.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad - Track Cycling Program? [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
2) a 50km points race at a reasonably high level.

Yeah, fast points races are hard. I've had them go like this.

"This is fast! I'm going to sit out the first few sprints, so people get tired out, then start scoring points."

<about halfway through>

"OK, no way these guys can keep this up. Going to weather the storm and then dominate the end."

<near the end>

"OK, I'm going to lose, but I'll just try to win the last sprint as a point of pride."

<after the end>

"This sucks. I suck."
Last edited by: trail: Jun 30, 19 15:26
Quote Reply