Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Train on Latex Tubes?
Quote | Reply
Do any of you ride latex all the time? If so, can you patch a latex tube with a regular old patch kit for butyl?

Thanks,
Scott

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [Skoalz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skoalz wrote:
Do any of you ride latex all the time?
Yes.

Quote:
If so, can you patch a latex tube with a regular old patch kit for butyl?
Yes. You can also just use a piece of a latex tube.

If anything, latex tubes are easier to patch than butyl.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same glue with just a piece of old tube?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skoalz wrote:
Same glue with just a piece of old tube?

I buy big jars of Elmer's Rubber Cement for cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skoalz wrote:
Do any of you ride latex all the time?
Scott

Yep

Skoalz wrote:
If so, can you patch a latex tube with a regular old patch kit for butyl?

Thanks,
Scott

I never patch, flats are rare enough anyways, and with enough use I tend to find that by the time I get a flat the tube is semi deformed anyways so i like to go fresh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train on latex. I like the lively feel, and I pump my tires before each ride anyway, so no extra work.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as the others here. In 14,500 miles between 2019, 2020 and to date this year I have had only one latex tube fail. I don't patch them. The ride is too good to not ride them daily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently switched to latex and i would say it is well worth it to train on them. Really great feel and theyre fast

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto everyone. I ride full-time on latex on both of my bikes. I like the way latex feels for all around riding comfort. I have only flatted twice in several years. I don't patch them-- I just go new.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride them all the time. I do put some orange seal sealant in them though. Knock wood, but have had good luck with them.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride latex all the time for the past three years. So far no flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden latex on and off for the last number of years, but 2020 was by far my biggest year of riding in probably the last 10 years. Latex tubes in 700 X 25 Conti 4000's. One on-the-road flat all year. Which is about average for me - I het one 1 - 2 a year. I ride all kinds of different roads, good roads, awful shitty roads, and even moderate stretch's of good gravel.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use a different pressure when using Latex vs Butyl?
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences. I'm in the land of goatheads so will need to master patching them but plan to swap to latex now.

Thanks,
Scott

Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
I ride them all the time. I do put some orange seal sealant in them though. Knock wood, but have had good luck with them.

Just curious. Isn't that going to beat the purpose of using the latex tube? I think seal will harden and up the rolling resistance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience patches dont work too Well on latex tubes, unless it’s with a piece of old latex tube. But I rarely patch tubes at all, too much hassle compared to the cost. Main reason I don’t use them is that you need to pump them up every time and because of tubeless - aside from a little mess setting it up, it’s just better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride them 100% and patch them when needed. Actually, I'm quite cheap and have ridden latex tubes with so many patches they were practically butyl when I finally threw them away. I also use sealant in them, but we have lots of goat's head and other nasties on the roads here in Northern AZ.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi MonkeyClaw
What is your patching procedure? What brand/type of glue? Do you an old piece of Latex tube?
Thank you!
MonkeyClaw wrote:
I ride them 100% and patch them when needed. Actually, I'm quite cheap and have ridden latex tubes with so many patches they were practically butyl when I finally threw them away. I also use sealant in them, but we have lots of goat's head and other nasties on the roads here in Northern AZ.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [Drotti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just patch like a standard tube. Make sure you clean all of the powder off, as all of the latex tubes I've used have a powder on them so they don't bind in the tire. Then roughen them slightly with a piece of sandpaper (usually included in the patch kit), put on the cement and let it almost dry. Apply the patch and hold it for a minute. Check the edges to make sure it's stuck. Put it in the tire and pump it up to make sure there are no leaks. Easy peasy.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Train on Latex Tubes? [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply