Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Train like Ironman for standalone marathon?
Quote | Reply
So a few years ago, I did my first standalone marathon after a "season" of Olympic Distance racing. Literally after my last OD that year, a couple months of 3 runs a week. Got round without killing myself, learnt a lot. No records or anything spectacular.

Since then I did 2 IM distance tris. But was never satisfied with my Run. Even in training! Basically it feels like I never seem to get better! So over 2019 decided to have a year of Run focus. 5 runs a week. Spring Marathon was a PB but not as good as I hoped. For my Fall marathon, decided to go for broke in training, upping the intensity, not missing any sessions for any reason, and promptly got injured losing 7 weeks!

Thought process is that the Bike and Swim "cross training" seems to allow me to do more run miles, gives me an increased aerobic ability. Barely a niggle when training for my IMs.

So extrapolating that, if I was to do a regular 16 week IM training plan, (Mixed in the usual way of swims, bricks, 1 long ride and several runs of varying efforts) for a standalone marathon is it likely to stand me in good state?

I'll assume at least 1 person here has done this. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Quote Reply
Re: Train like Ironman for standalone marathon? [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see anything wrong with adding in swims and bikes with marathon training but I don't think I would go for long rides because, for me, I think they would tire me out too much and impact the runs that are more important. But if you cannot push the mileage that high then supplementing those miles with bike/swim would be good. If you feel like you HAVE to swim/bike I would do 2 of those each a week and run at least 6 times a week.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Train like Ironman for standalone marathon? [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im in the same boat as you. i was actually running a bit faster than what i am now after moving to structured training. im getting MUCH stronger on my vasa for the swim and on the bike, but my run has just been stagnant. im currently with 80/20 and plan on staying with them, but i wish there was an easy way to do a discipline specific plan while keeping two disciplines essentially in maintenance mode.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply