Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tracking Commute
Quote | Reply
Given a move I'm now commuting 7 miles to the office (not a lot) but over the week that is an extra 50-70 cycle miles). Since the move I've been focused on London Marathon so the cycle commute has been great for shaking out the legs and generally just keeping my cycle miles up. I haven't been tracking, just riding.... its fun. Miles are easy and typical 'in city' maybe a few drag races here or there but generally just trying not do die and get to the office....

My main question, is as I transition back to tri training (and going to be attempting my first full distance in October) which data points are best to have with those miles?

I mainly want to keep a general check of my overall training stress. IE will using my GPS watch, HR monitor and a cadence sensor likely enough to derive decent data to track? I'm not going to get a specific power meter for this bike (its a single speed cross bike and I do all bike specific work indoors). Curious which of the 'easy' metrics I should check off so that I have an full/accurate picture of where my body might be.

Thanks!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking Commute [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often run commute (2.3 miles each way) and definitely track it but no where near as much as my actual workouts. Simple time and distance is all and I guess HR only because it's an optical HR watch. All of the miles are stupidly easy. I also automatically set those activities to "private" on Strava. Nobody wants to see that stuff and I certainly don't when others post their daily commutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking Commute [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for this:

I just make the vow to start using my bike to commute whenever I can (library, school, groceries, etc.), but I feel really odd having these 7 miles a day popping up in my trainingpeaks numbers... That's almost 15 miles a day, pretty easy riding (it's a fixed gear and I'm running way too much gearing for the hills around here so there's a bit of mashing going on at points), but that adds up to an addition 5-7 hours a week... That's on top of my usual 4 bike sessions a week. It seems weird because I'm not really "training" per se.

Should I even track these commutes?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking Commute [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I often run commute (2.3 miles each way) and definitely track it but no where near as much as my actual workouts. Simple time and distance is all and I guess HR only because it's an optical HR watch. All of the miles are stupidly easy. I also automatically set those activities to "private" on Strava. Nobody wants to see that stuff and I certainly don't when others post their daily commutes.

I agree with Logella. My bike commute used to be 25-35 minutes each way depending on how windy and how hard I took the ride. When I worked at that location, I just put 60 min/25K in my training log. Some days I would do a slightly longer detour and add 10 min of hills but I would just enter a standard 60 min for the day as this pretty well covered the longer days vs the shorter days. Sometimes, it is not worth tracking all the micro details. Just getting the macro picture was enough. It made no difference to my racing if the commuting one week was 5 hours and another week it was 4:45.....it's all in the noise
Quote Reply